Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread

170K views 1K replies 98 participants last post by  SuperWade2 
#1 · (Edited)
I've never started one of these build threads for my TJ but have some other threads in the Tech section that I might Link to or reference

Here is one of the only "before" pics I can find...

I'll start with a list, my last couple of years and what plans are next...I'll add pics later where I have em...comments, questions and criticisms welcome...

Pre 2007 (mostly 2003-2007 after I found JeepForum)
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost - (Removed, but installed pair of Spacers on front of my MJ)
31" BFGoodrich AT's - (Sold when I upgraded to 33" MTZ's)
AtoZ Fab Rocker Skids- (Removed/SOLD, replaced with Alum/Savvy Stainless Steel Rockers/Sliders)
Hanson 60" Front Bumper - (Removed/SOLD, replaced with Savvy Front Bumper)
Teraflex Quick Disconnects - (Removed, Installed on my MJ)
Kilby Gas Tank Skid - (Removed/SOLD, Replaced with Savvy GTS)
Kilby Steering Box Skid- (Removed/SOLD, Replaced with Savvy Steering Skid)
Warn Diff Skids Front - (Removed/SOLD, Replaced with Solid Diff Covers)
Jeep Medic Engine Skid - (Still installed)
1" Performance Accessories Body Lift - (Removed Replaced with Savvy Body Lift))
M.O.R.E Motor Mount Lift - (Removed Replaced with Savvy MML)
K&N FIPK II - Air Intake - (Still installed):brickwall
Airaid Throttle Body Spacer - (Still installed):brickwall
Tuffy Glove Box/Console Insert - (Still installed)

2007 (the first BIG Year of Upgrades)
Hanson Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier (Sold, not yet replaced, don't carry spare)
33x12.5-15" Mickey Thompson MTZ's (Sold when I upgraded to 35" MTR/Kevlar)
Rock Hard Sport Cage (Removed and Sold, not yet replaced)
Solid Axle HD D44 Axle Swap with ARB (4.56)
AlloyUSA Grande 30 Kit with ARB (4.56) (Removed/SOLD, replaced with Currie RJ D44)
Rubicon Express 4.5" Tri-Link Long Arm
Teralow 4:1 / 2 Low
Tom Woods CV Driveshaft / Teraflex HD SYE
SuperWinch EPi9.0 / Viking Synthetic Rope/Thimble

sPOD/The Source
Currie HD Steering
Transmission Cooler/Deep Trans Pan
ORO Swaloc
Vanco Big Brakes
Novak SK2X T-Case Shifter (Replaced with Novak Cable Shifter)

12Volt Guy In Cab Winch Switch
ORO LiteDot's / LitePlate (Removed, Installed Savvy LED Tail Lights)
Currie Explorer Rear Disc Brakes
Front HPD30 Swap
Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid
Viking Fastback Soft top (Sailcloth)
Savvy Front Bumper

Savvy TJ Full Corner Aluminum Armor

10# Ultimate Air Co2 Tank
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 35x12.5-15
Rancho 9000XL Adjustable Shocks
Currie CE-9120TJJ Front Track Bar
MrBlaine Custom Driver Side Tie Rod Flip
Currie CE-9102 Upper Johnny Joints
Savvy Rock Stainless Steel Sliders
Savvy Off Road LED Tail Lights
Rear Shock Outboard (PolyPerf Kit with Rancho 9000XL, Currie Rear Bumpstops)
Savvy Rear Bumper
Savvy Wrecking Ball Tub Rails
Savvy Ultimate Tie Rod
Skinny Pedal EOM LED Rock Lights

48mm Calipers and Black Magic Pads for Vanco Kit
XRF Ball Joints (Died quickly and replaced with Synergy Ball Joints)
Savvy MML
Lightforce Striker 170 Fog lamps
Savvy Winch Hoop
RocDog Fab Hawse Fairlead License Plate Mount (Removed, replace with TRE License Plate Mount)

Savvy T-6061 Aluminum Trail Doors
Mac's Custom Tiedown VersaTie tracks 2' length
Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Bed Tred Interior Kit

Barnett Front D30 Diff Cover
Poly Performance Grab Handles
Savvy Front Bumper "Hardcore Upgrade"
Savvy Steering Box Skid

Tactical Recovery Equipment Safety Thimble Fairlead
Tactical Recovery Equipment License Plate Mount

Next Planned Mod's (*in no particular order, when $$$ avail and Subject to change)
Savvy Tire Carrier (If they ever release one)
Maybe figure out a new front axle option for D30's
Tube Fenders/Flares
PSC Hydroassist Steering
Vanco Hydroboost
<new add="">Beadlock Rims (Undecided, but thinking Walker Evans or Racelines maybe)

</new>

See less See more
#3 ·
Some History of my TJ...the Wife and I drove the TJ off the lot brand new in Norco, CA in Jan of 1999. The TJ was actually the wifes primary Daily Driver until early 2003 when I traded my 97 Grand Prix (which I really loved) in for a "family wagon" (2003 Chevy Tahoe).

It didn't get much wheeling before 2003 other than a couple trips to the desert when we lived in Riverside, CA but it was really tame stuff.

It was always user for mostly short trips and in town and the mileage was always pretty low. As it sits now, at nearly 11 years old at about 42,000 miles, and still only gets a couple thousand miles a year.

Wade

#7 · (Edited)
I think so too... I'm leaning to that as my next purchase... I really want to keep my 33" MTZ's from my TJ to put on my Comanche, but it will need a "real" lift to even come close to fitting them on there. So I might just have to leave in the garage till I'm ready to build the Comanche up a little more.

I was really really close to ordering a set of the MetalCloak Oveline Fenders/Flares today. They have a good Black Friday deal that I would have been able to get the fenders/flares, powdercoated, taxed (Cali), and Shipped to my door for just over $650 total.

BUT as I was getting gas today looking at my front end and envisioning what the rig might look like with the fenders I came to the realization that my Full Width (60") Hanson bumper could look goofy with those tube fenders. They extend out past where the fenders

This pic was before lots of other stuff on my TJ (winch/lift/tires/steering, etc), but shows how wide that bumper is and how much would "stick" out into the newly wider fender opening.

I like my Hanson bumper BUT I think I'm going to have to get something stubbier before or at the same time that I get the front fender/flares. Maybe will wait to see Blaine and Geralds Savvy Front Bumpers... Metal Cloak also has some interesting things going on in the bumper area too.

So it's kind of a vicious cycle;
Tube Fenders First -> Make 33" tires look Small -> Want to Upgrade to 35" Tires
Tube Fenders First -> Make Bumper Look Goofy -> Want to change bumpers
35" Tires -> Make me want more room to stuff em -> Want to get Fenders

I think 35" Tires and then Corner Armor are probably priority #1 and #2.

Wade

#11 ·
Jeep looks great:2thumbsup:

#15 ·
Finally got my Savvy Corner Armor ordered from Gerald this week. Should show up Monday, hope to get em installed before my Snow trip on Presidents day weekend.

I took the my Hanson Tire Carrier Off today ... 47lbs for just the frame... bumper has to be another 50-60 or so by itself I'd guess... No word from Gerald/MrBlaine on what their Rear is going to weigh, but I'd guess WAY WAY LESS :2thumbsup:

I can't wait see/get the Savvy Rear. I think I'm going to run without my spare until Savvy does the Tire Carrier (I'll get the Savvy bumper as soon as they are in production and they will sell me one). I didn't want to drill more holes in the corner armor than necessary (at least not 2 big ones that I won't be using very long to mount that old carrier!)

I had to jerryrig the License plate mount as I threw away the old plastic holder (if anyone has an extra laying around I'd be interested) and had been mounting it on the spare with a LED mount thing.

Here is how it looks waiting for some corners.

#17 ·
These are the Round Eyes Replacement Headlights... They were better than stock, but only some... I could probably try a different H4 Bulb (but don't have a CLUE what I would/should try), and they are RIDICULOUSLY out of alignment (cause I don't really have a long flat spot to do the aiming thing on).

7" Round Jeep® Conversion Headlamps - Jeep® Headlamps by Roundeyes™ Inc.

#19 ·
Finished my Savvy Full Corner Install last night. I reused my stock flares (with a fresh coat of Krylon Fusion) for now and may switch if something Bolt On were to hit the market eventually. I also want to get a set of the Tub Rails from Savvy once they are in full production with them. I may also someday pony up the $$$ for a set of their tail lights just so everything matches.

I plan on running like this (without a Spare) until I can get a Savvy Rear Bumper and eventually whatever swing out carrier that Blaine develops whenever that happens.

I don't drive at night much, so not real worried about getting pulled over for the lack of license plate light.

No big issues with the install...a couple of the OEM Torx bolts holding the Tailgate hinge stripped so had to drill the heads off with 5/16" Drill Bit and the rest of the bolt out with vice-grips. One of my Nuterts (that was probably an optional one anyhow) got a little off-center so I had to do tweaking to get a nut on the back of the bolt. Stripped a couple Bolt heads and missing 1, so will replace those once I get to Fastenal or somewhere that sells these stainless bolts.

#22 ·
I love the savvy diet. I can't believe I haven't seen this thread yet. I am pretty sure that bumpre is going to be about 17lbs (even though Gerald thinks it is higher). You should lose a bit of weight with the TT too. Apparently the UCF skid weighs less than the factory skid.

#24 ·
Thanks... unfortunately I think that I'm 'locked in' to my Rubicon Express Long Arm Belly Pan. The Arm mounts are kind of integrated into the side frame mounts and then the bellypan mounts in the middle. So unless I change lifts (which I don't think I'm going to have the $$$ for any time soon, and I'm not unhappy for the most part with my RE Lift) or do some custom Mounts, I don't think I'll be able to get the Savvy TT/Engine Skids any time soon.

I did add the Savvy corner armor @ 13 lb or whatever per side, where I didn't have any before, so I guess I could subtract that from my weight loss, but it's splitting hairs.

Wade

#25 ·
Yeah, but I would look at it as a preventative procedure. That is like packing a little bit of weight from muscle. It is better to be small and strong than have big muscles, but weak (like those muscle heads. A smaller guy can lift as much, thier muscle is just better utilized).

Rear bumper will do a lot to save weight. I actually hope to see a savvy rear tail gate.

#27 ·
I know, I know... it's been near the top of my list for a good while now...every time I go drop another couple $'s on a new Savvy thing, it seems like something at the house blows up (I've replaced Water Heater, Water Softener, Pipe Burst above Living room and new sliding glass door in the past year or so), it just pushes the tires out a little further.

I was hoping to get some $$$ back on taxes this year to spend on tires, but I guess the Gov't decided they needed my money more than I needed new tires (even though I made 15% less than last year), but that's a different discussion for the political forum I guess.

Sw2

#28 ·
I love your rig...I have an '04 in the same color. The combo of the Savvy corners, the Viking top, and the Litedots are awesome. I've been seriously considering the Savvy front bumper too. ha, in fact most of the parts you have are on my list of wants!

Any idea of when you're going to sell that Hanson tire carrier? I'm in the market for a tire carrier. Shipping would suck though...

#29 ·
I love your rig...I have an '04 in the same color. The combo of the Savvy corners, the Viking top, and the Litedots are awesome. I've been seriously considering the Savvy front bumper too. ha, in fact most of the parts you have are on my list of wants!

Any idea of when you're going to sell that Hanson tire carrier? I'm in the market for a tire carrier. Shipping would suck though...
Thanks Much!

I'm selling the Hanson Rear as soon as Gerald and Blaine @ Savvy will sell me one of theirs. I have a local buyer from my club already, so unless he backs out, it's "spoken for". And I'm guessing your right, shipping would be $$$$.

Wade

#33 ·
what brand is your soft top? It loos like the kind that is a safari top with windows?? I am looking for one like that for my Jeep..Thx
The black one in the latest pics and my Avatar is the Viking Fastback Sailcloth top that I got from Zach at A to Z Fabrication (who I recommend as a good guy to deal with).

viking fast back soft top

I've had a Bestop Supertop, a Bestop Bikini and an OEM Hardtop sitting on a cart in my back yard. I'm planning on running this top all winter and I'm guessing that I wont' miss my Hard Top at all. I run no top most of the summer/fall, and this one is nice that I can zip out the windows and have the "safari" like top.

Wade

#32 ·
It looks like the viking fast top with the straps and the shape around the top sides for the rear seats Where the top meets the windows above the rear seats).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.