SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #856
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info

4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #857
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well... slacked off from work this afternoon and started to finish the front end project. Got the 2" JJ rebuild kit from Gerald today (thanks GMan! ), and after a quick call and picture sent over from MrBlaine (thanks Blaine ), and a trip to ACE Hardware for some threaded rod, I was able to get it put back together, this was my first JJ service needed.

I got everything re-installed and tires back on the ground. I need to do an alignment and put my Driver side Rockers and Fender Flares back on but I'm getting close!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #858
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok...so to recap here is the stuff I got done over the past few weeks...

* Installed New Timkin Unit Bearings (Machined beautifully to fit Vanco Kit Rotors)
* Installed New Synergy Ball Joints
* Installed New RE LCA Rubber Bushings (front 2, still need to do the back)
* Installed New RE UCA Rubber Bushings
* Installed New Spicer Axle U-Joints
* Installed New 2" Johnnie Joint UCA Bushing on Pass Side
* Removed, Cleaned and Regreased SuperFlex Joints On Long Arms (4 Long Arms + Large Tri-Link Mount), Sanded and Painted Arms
* Completely Removed ORO Swaylock, Cleaned, Re-greased and Re-installed
* Replaced a couple bolts that I screwed up (Driver Side Long Arm Axle and Frame Side, One of the JJ Greasebolts, etc)

I'm still not sure if my Front Drive Shaft may need to be rebuilt... I might call Tom Woods and see what they can tell me... when I last had it disconnected from the axle, there was basically no push back on the splines, it felt sloppy and it pooped all of the grease out of the little hole by the U-Joint, and the the upper grease fitting (and the metal around it) is pretty well wrecked.

I was kind of hoping that Gerald would have the Savvy Aluminum RE Belly Pan replacement (and hopefully Aluminum Engine Skid attached) ready that he has hinted about in a couple other threads, but I guess with his Vacations and all the race stuff, new product release stuff has fallen behind :-).
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #859
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

On the road for the first time in almost 2 months... Pretty well wrapped up this round of fixes... I want to drop my front drive shaft and see if the vibes I'm feeling are from it (I think maybe), and it might need to be rebuilt. And some new Sliders to bolt on, and I'll be good I think until the next round of updates.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #860
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

p.s., I realized that my Viking top isn't waterproof any more... both seats quite wet where water dripping from zippers along the edge... Wet butt sucks!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #861
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2
p.s., I realized that my Viking top isn't waterproof any more... both seats quite wet where water dripping from zippers along the edge... Wet butt sucks!
Dang, I was going to ask you about that.

Jeep looks great. Bet you're glad it's rolling again!
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #862
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Dang, I was going to ask you about that.

Jeep looks great. Bet you're glad it's rolling again!
Thor @ Viking sent me some seam sealer stuff last year for the top. I think I need to reapply at the threaded edges where the zipper ends.

Since its not my DD any more, and I really only had it out so I could get it aligned (I'm not very good at the driveway method), I can keep it home during most of the rain we get over the next several months.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #863
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

This may be a dumb question, but what how many lbs did you tighten your Superflex joints? Tight is tight?
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #864
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlrubicon05
This may be a dumb question, but what how many lbs did you tighten your Superflex joints? Tight is tight?
About 3 grunts until the little alignment/screw hole thing lined up. I did buy the RE tool wrench ends and had it attached to my air tools. So I didn't goto a specific lb.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #865
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cool. I think I'm just going to throw my Craftsman impact on mine and let it go until it won't crank down anymore. I finally managed to split one of the original, large bushings from 2007, so it's time to pull all the arms and rebuild everything.
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #866
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Giggity care package from Gman today!

A new set of these ->

To get painted and go on here->
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 11-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #867
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2
Giggity care package from Gman today!

A new set of these ->

To get painted and go on here->
Nice, but why did you have to replace them? Dented?
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #868
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Nice, but why did you have to replace them? Dented?
I wondered how long it would be before someone asked

When I had my front end torn apart a couple months ago and waiting on parts, I decided I'd go ahead and pull the sliders and rockers so I could re-install the sliders with the nut strips that Gerald had sent quite a while back. I'm not sure if he is including them or not now with Rocker/Sliders, but I think this was how they were originally designed so you could pull the sliders without pulling the rockers.

Anyhow when I went to take the Driver side slider off, all of the middle upper center bolts basically stripped out because of upward pressure in the middle of the slider. Once I got it off (had the cut 2 of the bolts), I found that the center section of the slider far enough pushed up that the holes in the slider were not close enough to lining up with the holes in the rocker/tub to reinstall

So I'm not sure if this was from the trips to JV, where my piss poor driving skills dropped pretty much the full weight of my rig on the bottom of the sliders, multiple times, or if I was a little too aggressive with the Jack in the center of the sliders when I preloaded them (installing initially with the Slider and Rocker mounted together;the only way they could be installed without the strip and the hardware originally included).

Gman recommended that I try the "heavier duty" step sliders which according to him includes a little more material and a bit different angles.

The moral of the story is I shouldn't have messed with the Sliders I had...they would have likely lasted forever on my rig and perfectly done their jobs if I hadn't removed them just to re-install them "differently".

I preferred the bare stainless look with the rest of the Aluminum stuff and the new ones will need to be painted, but small sacrifice to pay!

to Gman for his usual excellent customer service!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #869
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Painted... it's been cool, so I'll probably let them sit for a couple days to dry before I install.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #870
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have read alot of this thread and you have done a great job with the build. It still looks great and you obvbiously don't baby it offroad.

I didn't read wether you drive to the trails or haul in. Just curious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.