Well... slacked off from work this afternoon and started to finish the front end project. Got the 2" JJ rebuild kit from Gerald today (thanks GMan! ), and after a quick call and picture sent over from MrBlaine (thanks Blaine ), and a trip to ACE Hardware for some threaded rod, I was able to get it put back together, this was my first JJ service needed.
I got everything re-installed and tires back on the ground. I need to do an alignment and put my Driver side Rockers and Fender Flares back on but I'm getting close!
Ok...so to recap here is the stuff I got done over the past few weeks...
* Installed New Timkin Unit Bearings (Machined beautifully to fit Vanco Kit Rotors)
* Installed New Synergy Ball Joints
* Installed New RE LCA Rubber Bushings (front 2, still need to do the back)
* Installed New RE UCA Rubber Bushings
* Installed New Spicer Axle U-Joints
* Installed New 2" Johnnie Joint UCA Bushing on Pass Side
* Removed, Cleaned and Regreased SuperFlex Joints On Long Arms (4 Long Arms + Large Tri-Link Mount), Sanded and Painted Arms
* Completely Removed ORO Swaylock, Cleaned, Re-greased and Re-installed
* Replaced a couple bolts that I screwed up (Driver Side Long Arm Axle and Frame Side, One of the JJ Greasebolts, etc)
I'm still not sure if my Front Drive Shaft may need to be rebuilt... I might call Tom Woods and see what they can tell me... when I last had it disconnected from the axle, there was basically no push back on the splines, it felt sloppy and it pooped all of the grease out of the little hole by the U-Joint, and the the upper grease fitting (and the metal around it) is pretty well wrecked.
I was kind of hoping that Gerald would have the Savvy Aluminum RE Belly Pan replacement (and hopefully Aluminum Engine Skid attached) ready that he has hinted about in a couple other threads, but I guess with his Vacations and all the race stuff, new product release stuff has fallen behind :-).
On the road for the first time in almost 2 months... Pretty well wrapped up this round of fixes... I want to drop my front drive shaft and see if the vibes I'm feeling are from it (I think maybe), and it might need to be rebuilt. And some new Sliders to bolt on, and I'll be good I think until the next round of updates.
Jeep looks great. Bet you're glad it's rolling again!
Thor @ Viking sent me some seam sealer stuff last year for the top. I think I need to reapply at the threaded edges where the zipper ends.
Since its not my DD any more, and I really only had it out so I could get it aligned (I'm not very good at the driveway method), I can keep it home during most of the rain we get over the next several months.
Cool. I think I'm just going to throw my Craftsman impact on mine and let it go until it won't crank down anymore. I finally managed to split one of the original, large bushings from 2007, so it's time to pull all the arms and rebuild everything.
Nice, but why did you have to replace them? Dented?
I wondered how long it would be before someone asked
When I had my front end torn apart a couple months ago and waiting on parts, I decided I'd go ahead and pull the sliders and rockers so I could re-install the sliders with the nut strips that Gerald had sent quite a while back. I'm not sure if he is including them or not now with Rocker/Sliders, but I think this was how they were originally designed so you could pull the sliders without pulling the rockers.
Anyhow when I went to take the Driver side slider off, all of the middle upper center bolts basically stripped out because of upward pressure in the middle of the slider. Once I got it off (had the cut 2 of the bolts), I found that the center section of the slider far enough pushed up that the holes in the slider were not close enough to lining up with the holes in the rocker/tub to reinstall
So I'm not sure if this was from the trips to JV, where my piss poor driving skills dropped pretty much the full weight of my rig on the bottom of the sliders, multiple times, or if I was a little too aggressive with the Jack in the center of the sliders when I preloaded them (installing initially with the Slider and Rocker mounted together;the only way they could be installed without the strip and the hardware originally included).
Gman recommended that I try the "heavier duty" step sliders which according to him includes a little more material and a bit different angles.
The moral of the story is I shouldn't have messed with the Sliders I had...they would have likely lasted forever on my rig and perfectly done their jobs if I hadn't removed them just to re-install them "differently".
I preferred the bare stainless look with the rest of the Aluminum stuff and the new ones will need to be painted, but small sacrifice to pay!