SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread - Page 57 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #841
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

It kind of hard to tell from this pic with the sun, but I'm in a bit of a pickle and could use some tips. How do I rotate the axle down if both UCA's have been pulled (to swap both bushings and to rebuild the JJ UCA on the pass side)? I haven't changed the length on any of the arms and think I had it pretty well dialed in (length wise) before I took everything apart. There really isn't anywhere on the front of the axle housing where I can jack to raise the front and lower the back of the housing.

Basically I can't reconnect the Drive side UCA, the housing is probably 1-2" in front of the holes in the UCA. The Pass side is still waiting for the JJ Rebuild kit thing, so that UCA is still on the ground.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #842
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
It kind of hard to tell from this pic with the sun, but I'm in a bit of a pickle and could use some tips. How do I rotate the axle down if both UCA's have been pulled (to swap both bushings and to rebuild the JJ UCA on the pass side)? I haven't changed the length on any of the arms and think I had it pretty well dialed in (length wise) before I took everything apart. There really isn't anywhere on the front of the axle housing where I can jack to raise the front and lower the back of the housing.

Basically I can't reconnect the Drive side UCA, the housing is probably 1-2" in front of the holes in the UCA. The Pass side is still waiting for the JJ Rebuild kit thing, so that UCA is still on the ground.

Support the frame on jack stands then lower the axle, so the pressure of the springs is off it. That makes it a lot easier to roll the axle forward or backwards
Unread 09-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #843
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Support the frame on jack stands then lower the axle, so the pressure of the springs is off it. That makes it a lot easier to roll the axle forward or backwards
Thanks, I'll give it a try... I was hoping I didn't have to unbolt the shocks, remove the springs and trackbar!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #844
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, I'll give it a try... I was hoping I didn't have to unbolt the shocks, remove the springs and trackbar!
Drop the axle down as far as it will go, just loosening the trackbar bolts will help. You can also try raising the opposite side of the axle up a bit
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #845
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Drop the axle down as far as it will go, just loosening the trackbar bolts will help. You can also try raising the opposite side of the axle up a bit
Just going under the frame and letting the front end droop did the trick. A couple pumps under the pumpkin to align the hole and I was all good (at least on the driver side). Thanks for your help! Now just need to get the new JJ Bushings, reassemble that and remount that UCA, shove the knuckles back on, get the new unit bearings and I'll be nearly in business.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #846
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just going under the frame and letting the front end droop did the trick. A couple pumps under the pumpkin to align the hole and I was all good (at least on the driver side). Thanks for your help! Now just need to get the new JJ Bushings, reassemble that and remount that UCA, shove the knuckles back on, get the new unit bearings and I'll be nearly in business.

You're welcome and happy wrenching
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #847
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Next time, shove a long prybar under the spring perch and over the axle tube and put the floor jack under the end of it.

I do that all the time when I don't want to move an axle that I have set up at ride height on the springs and removed links.
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #848
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Next time, shove a long prybar under the spring perch and over the axle tube and put the floor jack under the end of it.

I do that all the time when I don't want to move an axle that I have set up at ride height on the springs and removed links.
Thanks Blaine, I'll remember that...god willing I won't have to remove it again, unless I'm dumping the Long Arms (which I hope happens in your driveway someday!)

The JJ on the driver side UCA felt good and tight still (compared to the pass side that flopped around at will) and with the new bushing in the other end of the UCA, it will hopefully be set for a while.

BTW, is there anything tricky I need to know about re-assembling the 2" JJ on the other UCA mount (once I get the new inserts). I just removed the c-clip and pounded out from the other end with a big socket. I assume I reverse that to rebuild?

Also, there seems to be a somewhat flattened strip down the middle on the centering ball that I removed from that JJ. Is that abnormal and should I have had Gerald order me a new ball as well as the inserts?

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 09-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #849
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Assembly is just reversing assembly. Grease up the bushing and ball and put her back together.

That flattened center strip is probably for grease distribution....I've never noticed it, though. Maybe I'm blind.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #850
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I figured it was for grease as well. The joints on my lower control arms and trac bar were both like that.
bty34 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #851
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Blaine, I'll remember that...god willing I won't have to remove it again, unless I'm dumping the Long Arms (which I hope happens in your driveway someday!)

The JJ on the driver side UCA felt good and tight still (compared to the pass side that flopped around at will) and with the new bushing in the other end of the UCA, it will hopefully be set for a while.

BTW, is there anything tricky I need to know about re-assembling the 2" JJ on the other UCA mount (once I get the new inserts). I just removed the c-clip and pounded out from the other end with a big socket. I assume I reverse that to rebuild?

Also, there seems to be a somewhat flattened strip down the middle on the centering ball that I removed from that JJ. Is that abnormal and should I have had Gerald order me a new ball as well as the inserts?

If you order a new one, it will most likely look just like that one.
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #852
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How many miles did you get out of your RE bushings before you replaced them?
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #853
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlrubicon05 View Post
How many miles did you get out of your RE bushings before you replaced them?
5 Years... maybe 12-15K Mile ballpark ...I don't really have the exact mileage when they were installed, but probably 30-35K and I'm at 46K something now.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #854
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Did you have any problems with the Superflex joints?
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #855
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlrubicon05 View Post
Did you have any problems with the Superflex joints?
They were all dirty and a little loose, but I'd done nothing but pump grease into them a couple times a year for 5 years. A couple months ago, I pulled off each of the Long Arms, removed, cleaned, inspected and reinstalled each of the SuperFlex joints. None of the nylon races were tore up (at least not bad enough that I thought I needed to replace any of them).

Before

after
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.