SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #781
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

First Superflex Joint disassembled, cleaned, inspected and put back together (Thanks to Stu's page for some help)...no damage or gouging on the nylon races or the ball, so cleaned off the old grease and put everything back together. I ordered the $20 RE tool to tighten the end of the joint, which won't be here till next week, but going to Yosemite for 4 days anyhow. Once we get back, I'll tighten, re-install and move on to the next arm. I also got a replacement Currie TRE today from Gerald that I will install and also replace the Steering Stabilizer.

Also threw on a coat of paint on the arms to keep things from rusting even though we have very little rust here, it was gouged bare metal.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #782
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

After removing both rear LCA's, disassembling/cleaning the Superflex Joints (and drilling and replacing Zerk on one side), re-painting them and resinstalling, I'm hating this lift more and more... It's just a pain in the butt to deal with... I need to scrape the $$$ together to replace the whole dang thing!

I'll try to get the Rear Uppers and Front's done this weekend. At least the rubber bushings were still OK and no damage to the flex joints (just lots of old crud/grease/sand, etc).

I also replaced the Pass Site Currie Tie Rod End (with the correct one with the Zerk on the side of the body instead of the back to hit and bust off on the trackbar mount), and installed a replacement Rancho Steering Stabilzer since I blew up my last on in JV last month.

I noticed my rear driveshaft took some pretty good abuse and I'l likely never be able to grease it again. My RE belly pan also has a pretty good bow in the middle in the back (probably an inch/inch and a half or more ).

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #783
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lil bit of JV entertainment tends to stick your Jeep in the scratch and dent department, but boy is it ever fun

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #784
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Lil bit of JV entertainment tends to stick your Jeep in the scratch and dent department, but boy is it ever fun
Worth ever bit of it! Hope to go back again next year!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 05-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #785
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It doesn't have a bow to it, it has more clearance.
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #786
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone seen contact with the front drive shaft with the Exhaust (enough to put a pretty good dent in it)...this sure seems like a wide gap between the two to make that kind of contact, even with some goofy flexing.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #787
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
Anyone seen contact with the front drive shaft with the Exhaust (enough to put a pretty good dent in it)...this sure seems like a wide gap between the two to make that kind of contact, even with some goofy flexing.

You would be amazed how much a front axle moves with the left at full stuff and the right side at full droop, at to that cranking the steering and a bit of frame twist and see what happens

Unread 06-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #788
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345

You would be amazed how much a front axle moves with the left at full stuff and the right side at full droop, at to that cranking the steering and a bit of frame twist and see what happens
Funny thing is I don't think this happened in JV... and I've only done one "easy" trip to Hollister Hills this past weekend.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #789
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wade, I haven't noticed contact with the exhaust but I do have contact between the driveshaft and the aluminum about 4" in front of the left wing. I don't have a good picture of it at the moment but in this picture the sticker on the DS has been removed by the contact with the aluminum.I have since relieved the aluminum ever so slightly as the contact was more a rubbing than a heavy scrape.

When Blaine and I removed the old RE lift we noticed this, which lined up perfectly with the u-joint:

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #790
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Those locker pumps are really exposed^^^
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #791
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Spending some quality Fathers Day time in the garage...

Chasing some annoying noises from my front end...have had an ongoing metallic ping/twang kind of noise for quite a while now... I suspect it's my ORO Swayloc as I notice during flex, or times with the swaybars would be moving, from the driver front, and I've had the end bolt pop out a few times. I guess other than removing it (which means bumper/winch need to come off) and driving arround I won't be able to easily troubleshoot, or just live with it. I've also had a brushing/scraping noise here recently (not rubber/tire related). Seems mostly when I turn left, but I don't see anything that could be the culprit. Popped the brakes off to check the Unit bearing (seems OK), BJ's seem good (no abnormal movement when I shove the tire arround when jacked up) and the Axle UJoints seem solid. I'll probably go and stare at it a while longer to see if I think of anything else.

I removed the front driveshaft from the axle to check the Ujoint and try to fix the Zerk that was tweaked (and since busted/fell off). Anyhow, when removing it, I thought there should have been some resistance pushing it back where the splines make contact... there wasn't, it felt like a blown shock, no pressure at all, when I pushed it in an let go, it just slide back to the end on its own, etc...not sure if that means it's shot or not (would suck since it's not that old of a Tom Woods HD shaft).

Also, when I was putzing with my Control Arms a couple weeks ago, I noticed my Pass Side UCA JJ seems REALLY loose when I disconnected the UCA and was just flopping it around by hand, easily...thoughts?
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 06-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #792
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

...and a put back to together/topless pic (with nothing really "fixed")... I think my front RE 4.5" springs are starting to sag a bit (MrBlaine mentioned that when I saw him in April. I didn't always have the front rake and even with a spare tire/tools, etc in the back, it was still noticable...

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 06-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #793
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's awfully loose for a JJ. I've noticed those small JJ's just don't maintain preload like the big guys do. Could always order up a couple new bushing halves, pop them in, and it'll be good as new.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #794
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
That's awfully loose for a JJ. I've noticed those small JJ's just don't maintain preload like the big guys do. Could always order up a couple new bushing halves, pop them in, and it'll be good as new.
I thought it seemed awfully loose too... kinda stinks since it probably doesn't have 1000 miles since I installed those, but I guess not really designed for the RE lift I'm using it with.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 06-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #795
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
I thought it seemed awfully loose too... kinda stinks since it probably doesn't have 1000 miles since I installed those, but I guess not really designed for the RE lift I'm using it with.
You use currie jj's? with the small ones I have used old pinion shims to preload them actually works good, the inserts are dirt cheap also.
The RE JJ's don't use half as good an insert so you have to keep adjusting them

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.