SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #736
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2

I doubt it...there are probably millions of rocks down there that do that exact same thing to Long Arms...

I thought it would be funny to recreate that pic with me looking down and shaking my fist like he is... I didn't...

Why yes, yes, I am... but so far only a problem at Johnson Valley, so I will someday replace them, but I'm more tired of my steering honestly.
Please keep on uploading those pictures!!!!

What's wrong with your steering?

TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #737
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Im thinking he is hinting at Blaine's hydro assist.
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #738
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
Please keep on uploading those pictures!!!!

What's wrong with your steering?
Most likely not enough umph, when locked and trying to crank it between big rocks the regular powersteering doesn't quite cut it
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #739
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Most likely not enough umph, when locked and trying to crank it between big rocks the regular powersteering doesn't quite cut it
^^^ Yah, that!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #740
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
^^^ Yah, that!
Is kinda sucky isn't it? Blaine sells a fix for that

I made my own and once it actually worked it's been fun. The first few runs at the Hammers without powersteering where a Mother!!! My arms still get sore thinking about it
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #741
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

OK, had a couple more mins for some commentary and pics.... the weather was semi-horrible... 30-40+mph winds most of the weekend, a good rain on Friday night and it never was very warm, even during the day.

Blaine/Kat and I did Clawhammer Thursday Evening... had a couple spots where I got hung up on the Long Arms/Belly, but overall not bad. I did Jackhammer with my club guys on Friday (also just 2 spots that I needed to Winch), and then Turkeyclaw with Blaine/Kat and Dan (dcope17 needs a winch!) in the evening and Saturday morning we did Sunbonnet with only minor scrapes and scratches (thankful I had tub rails...got into the pass side pretty good from a bad line/co-pilot spot). Blew my Steering Stabilizer the first few minutes on Clawhammer and ripped off pass rear fender flare and rubbed the other 3 pretty good. After watching 3 out of 4 rigs go on their sides on Chocolate Thunder in the first 20 feet, I decided to skip it and just watch from the hill.

Overall, pretty happy with the rig and how I did... didn't get hung up on many spots on Jackhammer than the other "bigger" rigs I was with did. Most frustrating thing was still steering...Blaine:"Turn all the way "driver" Wade!" ->Me "That's as far F'in "driver" as I have, Blaine!!!" . The long arms got me hung up in some spots, some of that was just the arms and some was my bad line/driving skills. Need more work on the 'bump' technique's... I tended to hit and let off the gas (mental block I guess). I think I did a little better this year than last (as it's only my 2nd time real "Wheeling" and all). Possible my front springs are starting to sag a bit too...noticed some spring perch droop that wasn't there before...maybe time for a Currie Spring Upgrade!

OK, I'm still looking through the Pics, but wanted to post a couple more...They are out of order I think...

Here is a link to the full Album (Warning 500+ pics) - https://picasaweb.google.com/1010680...lJohnsonValley

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #742
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cool pics, I love the old flat fender. Wanna try Choco thunder again so bad.
The bumping thing is cool, but good rear suspension geometry and tires greatly reduce the need for it. I have been tweeking various things on my little Jeep and it's finally hooking like it should.
On 2 runs through the Doran gatekeeper first time it did not want to bump up the last ledge no matter what I tried, second time after messing with the rear geometry and swapping the old krawlers for some used redlabel krawlers no bumping needed it just walked up the ledge without any wheel spin, just krawling up it the way it should.
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #743
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Looks like a lot of fun out there, some great pictures. Would love to make a trip there some time.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #744
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Pulled the Jeep out of the Garage for the first time since I got home on Sunday, Airing up the Tires, cleaning the crap out of it...

Savvy Tub Rails doing their Job (also where I pulled a big rock, up into wheel well and pulled rear flare off (at least 2 nutsert and one of the main tabs, so I pulled it off).

Stock Gambler Rim has seen better days!

A little more "love" on Drive side door...didn't have hard door on, just scraped the Hinge of the Savvy Trail doors just a touch, no real damage!

Going to try to clean it tomorrow, so will see if anything else noteworthy to report once I get a layer of dust off.

Wade
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #745
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Wade,

What rear Rancho shocks do you have? A little JV love looks good on your Jeep!

G

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #746
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Wade,

What rear Rancho shocks do you have? A little JV love looks good on your Jeep!

G
RS999028 Shocks in the Back, 11.25" travel, 2.75" Body. Extended Length 28.125 in, Collapsed Length 16.875 in.

I think Blaine mentioned something about not getting this particular one to work on other rigs, possibly due to my 4.5" RE Springs (that might be more than 4.5"). He also mentioned that my fronts started looking kind of "saggy"... Some we'll eventually need to remedy (maybe I can hold out until I can afford the whole lift kit swap).
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #747
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man that looks like fun...
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #748
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

sorry i couldn't be there with you guys, the air force isn't exactly reasonable when it comes to giving me my weekends off

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #749
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

... and first layer of dust knocked off, windows off and 1/2 doors on...ready for summer! Went ahead and yanked the driver side flare for now... too lazy to pull the corner armor and tub rails off so I could re-set new nutserts to hold the flare in on the pass side that got ripped out by rock.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 04-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #750
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
... Most frustrating thing was still steering...Blaine:"Turn all the way "driver" Wade!" ->Me "That's as far F'in "driver" as I have, Blaine!!!"...
Wade - Sounds familiar. I left my steering box & pump stock with my rebuild (the project did have a budget). I then did one JV trip w Blaine & gang. I heard that verbal abuse more than a few times, and my arms ached at the end of the day.

The very next upgrade was the PCS assist - expensive but necessary. It works very well; easy to get used too.
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.