SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #46
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
Please elaborate on "aren't protected", and I'm not sure if ORO's have dropped, but last I looked ORO Litedots were about $180 (I think I paid $200 for mine new) and Savvy LED setups were about $200... So +$20 for OEM Shaped Aluminum vs. Round Plastic.
Oh don't get me wrong. I love the look of the Savvy's and the price is perfect in comparison to an ORO litedot.

By not protected I mean if I back up into a rock, that $200 taillight is gonzo. I have backed my crappy taillight guards into a few things hard enough to bend and dent them (and also the tub behind them) but that is the price to pay, atleast it wasn't a wicked $200 tail light. I'd hate to crack and break something like that.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #47
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
Oh don't get me wrong. I love the look of the Savvy's and the price is perfect in comparison to an ORO litedot.

By not protected I mean if I back up into a rock, that $200 taillight is gonzo. I have backed my crappy taillight guards into a few things hard enough to bend and dent them (and also the tub behind them) but that is the price to pay, atleast it wasn't a wicked $200 tail light. I'd hate to crack and break something like that.
Gotcha...A direct smack on the lens to anything without a guard could be a bad thing... I'm actually more concerned with sliding around and hitting more on the side of the taillight (which I did on the driver side with my OEM ones)... I'd feel much better about that hitting an aluminum framed light instead of the plastic on the ORO...of course since both stick out much less than stock, hopefully that won't be an issue.

Wade
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #48
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Added a 10# Ultimate Air Co2 Kit...

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #49
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I saw your post in the vendor display. Looks good, and sounds like a pretty good deal. You have no problem with the loss of space?
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #50
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
I saw your post in the vendor display. Looks good, and sounds like a pretty good deal. You have no problem with the loss of space?
Maybe, probably, possibly....

I previously had a OEM Instra-Trunk that I was able to fit all my tools, Air Compressor, First Aid Kid, Shovel, spare stuff under the closed lid, and then I kept my recovery bag (tow straps, tree saver, gloves, d-rings, ratchet straps, etc) on top of the closed instra-trunk behind the seat.

To get the Co2 Mounted, had to remove the trunk. I tried to fit the Co2 mount horizontal on the top of that, but there wasn't enough room on between the latch and my Viking fastback top.

So without the trunk thing in there, and now the Co2 tank, I'll have to figure out how everything will fit... I could likely skip the portable compressor as long as I have Co2 in the tank. It was a little like Tetris getting everything in before, so I'll just have to figure a new stacking methodology that keeps everything in. I might think about something to strap or hold everything down, so I don't have anything bouncing around and hitting my kids in the back of the head (if they are wheeling with me).

Need to go get the tank filled next week and will hopefully get to test it out next Sunday.

Wade
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Last edited by SuperWade2; 03-06-2010 at 08:49 PM..
Unread 03-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #51
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No real loss of space issue... Just got all my stuff loaded up for a trip to Hollister Hills this weekend. Everything fit just fine. Only thing missing is the Portable Air Compressor that i"m no longer going to carry as long as I have Co2 in the tank!

I need to come up with a more elegant hold down mechanism....

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #52
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like everything fits nicely. I always love when the stuff I load sits about even with the tailgate. I guess I am weird that way.

I have no idea how large your compressor is, but it may fit behind the roll bar, or at least in front of it in case of emergency (who knows if you run out of air because you forgot to fill your tank). If there is nothing in the little accessory tray under the hood, it would fit nicely there too.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #53
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did some Wheeling @ Hollister Hills yesterday... Blew a Front Shock and I was getting a high pitched ping/snapping kind of sound from the driver side...need to check the unit bearing, or Swaylock on the Driver side...didn't sound U-Joint Axle related.

Didn't get a bunch of pics of me, but here are a couple!

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #54
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I tore down my Front end today... blew a front shock, so ordered some new Rancho 9000XL Adjustable ones.

I also removed my Rubicon Express Track Bar Drop Bracket and i'm going to order a new Currie CE-9120TJS from Gerald @ Savvy. So I'll eliminate the track bar drop bracket and go back to a stock pitman arm (Thanks to Robncar).

I'm also going to do the tie rod flip on the driver side and weld on some new sway bar link brackets (with some assistance from MrBlaine on the flip and brackets)

I'd take a pic, but it just looks like and axle with no steering, no track bar, no springs and no shocks, so not very exciting right now.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #55
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You are completely wrong. You say that it is not very exciting which implies that there is a certain amount of excitement. Not being able to drive your Jeep is not exciting at all

Good Luck with the new steering and shocks
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #56
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You are completely wrong. You say that it is not very exciting which implies that there is a certain amount of excitement. Not being able to drive your Jeep is not exciting at all

Good Luck with the new steering and shocks
Thanks... I think I'm going to go ahead and remove the axle completely...will make the welding easier. Now I need to decide if I want to also spend the extra $$$ to go ahead and get it trussed while it's off. It doesn't get stripped all the way down/get removed often, so I don't know when else I'll have a chance. But after shocks/trackbar and unit bearing, I'm already spending more than I would have liked right now. My 35" tires might have to wait again.

I think the Treks/TnT D30 truss would look awful nice! on there. I sure got a buttload of $$$ tied up into this D30 Axle already...uggg!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #57
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I think the Treks/TnT D30 truss would look awful nice! on there. I sure got a buttload of $$$ tied up into this D30 Axle already...uggg!
Which everyone will tell you is a bad thing. I think it is perfectly ok if you plan on stopping at 35s.

Quote:
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #58
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
Which everyone will tell you is a bad thing. I think it is perfectly ok if you plan on stopping at 35s.
I know...I DO plan on stopping at 35's... I will barely fit in the garage as it is

A while back MrBlaine discouraged me from spending money on a "throw away" housing... I think swapping stuff from one axle to another is easier for some people than others... it's a pretty big deal for me... probably taking weeks to do. Damn work and family keep me from spending much time with the Jeep (I did most of the work last night after my kids went to bed at 9:30...)
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #59
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know...I DO plan on stopping at 35's... I will barely fit in the garage as it is

A while back MrBlaine discouraged me from spending money on a "throw away" housing... I think swapping stuff from one axle to another is easier for some people than others... it's a pretty big deal for me... probably taking weeks to do. Damn work and family keep me from spending much time with the Jeep (I did most of the work last night after my kids went to bed at 9:30...)
I agree with you on that one, I'm pretty handy with a wrench but axles always get me all

Quote:
Unread 03-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #60
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, here are a couple tear down shots...

In taking everything apart I also discovered that I have a trashed driveshaft U-Joint... at at least I assume so since both ends at the yoke fell off in my hand...I've been carrying some spares and now have an excuse to use them.

"The hole"...only thing left to pull is the Drop Pitman Arm!

The Axle...need to clean it up and get ready to weld some new swaybar brackets on it...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Last edited by SuperWade2; 03-19-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.