SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #166
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
Have a chat with mudb8...he'll lay it all out for you.

Hell, I think he'll even send you out a template for the price of a stamp.
I've seen that... Maybe I'm looking at 2 different things (at least what I was on Humbolts thread) looked to drop the mount even lower than the stock one (which I'm not crazy about).

If I'm going to outboard eventually, it looks like I'd have to move the mount towards the week eventually anyhow. Without moving the mount over (which I don't know that I'm ready for, nor if the new Rancho Shocks I just bought would even support), I don't know that I'd really solve the problem with it hitting the the lower spring perch.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #167
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

mudb8 did a mount for someone who didn't fully outboard. I forget who the member was.

let me see if I can track it down.

He did it for dbbd1. He took his stock OME shocks and outboarded the lowers. It does lower the shock mount, but it puts it behind the LCA mount so it is a bit more protected.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #168
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Finished pounding in the driver side Johnny Joint....

... And got my new Currie CE-9120TJS trackbar from Gerald @ Savvy today.

Now I think I'm waiting on just the Superior Outer Axle Stub (that Gerlad said is "in the mail"), MrBlaine has my Driver steering knuckle that he's going to taper and insert for my Tie Rod Flip, and if I ask nicely, he will hopefully get me a set of his Swaybar Link Mounts in the next week or two...

After that I'll be about ready to reinstall.

Sw2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #169
nriver
2011 JK Wrangler 

On your lower shock mount and spring perch interference.

Just cut part of the spring perch out to allow for the travel. You can go in at least 1/2" to provide for the clearance. Thinking closer to an inch, IIRC.

That should provide enough room for the shock to travel.
Unread 03-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #170
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have a chat with mudb8...he'll lay it all out for you.

Hell, I think he'll even send you out a template for the price of a stamp.

Quote:
mudb8 did a mount for someone who didn't fully outboard. I forget who the member was.

let me see if I can track it down.

He did it for dbbd1. He took his stock OME shocks and outboarded the lowers. It does lower the shock mount, but it puts it behind the LCA mount so it is a bit more protected.
that was cb3's, dbbd1's are 10" travel RC shocks, which I also lowered to gain uptravel for the 2.5" lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nriver View Post
On your lower shock mount and spring perch interference.

Just cut part of the spring perch out to allow for the travel. You can go in at least 1/2" to provide for the clearance. Thinking closer to an inch, IIRC.

That should provide enough room for the shock to travel.
I've experienced the springs hitting the shocks after triming the buckets....

My pattern is long enough to accomodate 5" uptravel with 10" travel shocks on a 2.5" lift... they can be trimed and drilled as needed. I've been drilling two holes on the last few pairs I've sold so I don't have to make them special. that way they work for a 4" lift by cutting about an inch off the bottom or a 2" lift as they are plus they locate in a position that works for a fully outboard shock mounts later.

BTW, I've also figured out a way to make them bolt on but havent had time to make any, I made a pair for Jvader last saturday and installed them.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #171
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
My pattern is long enough to accomodate 5" uptravel with 10" travel shocks on a 2.5" lift... they can be trimed and drilled as needed. I've been drilling two holes on the last few pairs I've sold so I don't have to make them special. that way they work for a 4" lift by cutting about an inch off the bottom or a 2" lift as they are plus they locate in a position that works for a fully outboard shock mounts later.

BTW, I've also figured out a way to make them bolt on but havent had time to make any, I made a pair for Jvader last saturday and installed them.
Thanks Mudb8... Now I just need to figure out how all of what you said applies to me and if I should cut (it doesn't sound like it), or get new mounts, or option c)

I'm >4.5" lift and If the specs I just Googled are correct the RS999062 shocks I just stuck on there are 15.75" Compressed 25.25" extended and 9.5" travel...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #172
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just looked through the pics you have posted,

I don't think I'd be able to make a bolt on shock relocation mount for your axle since the lower arms are not OEM type mounts. The weld on high clearance mounts I use will work and gain clearance.

these are what I made for mine and several others I've installed

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 03-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #173
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
Thanks Mudb8... Now I just need to figure out how all of what you said applies to me and if I should cut (it doesn't sound like it), or get new mounts, or option c)

I'm >4.5" lift and If the specs I just Googled are correct the RS999062 shocks I just stuck on there are 15.75" Compressed 25.25" extended and 9.5" travel...
It all applies to you!

Those specs are correct for your part #, I personally would go for a longer shock especially since you have a 4.5" LA suspension, basicly, what you have now is limiting your flex to the point of what a 2.5" SA suspension can offer without mount modification.
It makes me laugh when guys claim to get oodles of flex with the tri link when they only have 10" travel shocks..

the RS99028 11.2" travel could work well with relocated axle mounts and properly set bumpstop extension, since they are 16.8" compressed.

RS99012 12.875" and RS99034 13.875" are options for a full out board, depending on how much uptravel you can use and how long your springs are uncompressed.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 03-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #174
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just looked through the pics you have posted,

I don't think I'd be able to make a bolt on shock relocation mount for your axle since the lower arms are not OEM type mounts. The weld on high clearance mounts I use will work and gain clearance.
Your right Mudb8, I'm nowhere near OEM Type mounts... My rear is a Solid Axle D44 and I think the shock mounts might even be lower than stock.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Last edited by SuperWade2; 03-30-2010 at 10:21 PM..
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #175
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It all applies to you!

Those specs are correct for your part #, I personally would go for a longer shock especially since you have a 4.5" LA suspension, basicly, what you have now is limiting your flex to the point of what a 2.5" SA suspension can offer without mount modification.
It makes me laugh when guys claim to get oodles of flex with the tri link when they only have 10" travel shocks..

the RS99028 11.2" travel could work well with relocated axle mounts and properly set bumpstop extension, since they are 16.8" compressed.

RS99012 12.875" and RS99034 13.875" are options for a full out board, depending on how much uptravel you can use and how long your springs are uncompressed.
Thanks MudB8... I could probably sell the rear shocks I just got to recoup my $$$. It was what Rancho listed for 4-6" of Lift, that I assumed I fell under (as a novice in this whole area).

The RS99028 you list have a "L1" upper an lower mounting, so it appears there is just a 5/8"/1 5/16" "eye" on both sides, so I don't even have a clue how I would mount those.

...and I know you weren't talking about me specifically, but I've never said or thought I had "oodles of flex"... I know things haven't been quite right since I installed this thing.

I just wonder if I should live with these until I'm ready to outboard and then change to appropriate length shocks.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #176
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks MudB8... I could probably sell the rear shocks I just got to recoup my $$$. It was what Rancho listed for 4-6" of Lift, that I assumed I fell under (as a novice in this whole area).

The RS99028 you list have a "L1" upper an lower mounting, so it appears there is just a 5/8"/1 5/16" "eye" on both sides, so I don't even have a clue how I would mount those.

...and I know you weren't talking about me specifically, but I've never said or thought I had "oodles of flex"... I know things haven't been quite right since I installed this thing.

I just wonder if I should live with these until I'm ready to outboard and then change to appropriate length shocks.
nope, definately wasn't pointing at you as far as flex, I say what's on my mind pretty much no matter what or when, sometimes I regret it but most people like it.

To use the L1 mounts, you just stuff in the sleeve on the lower axle mount and reuse the stock bar pin from the old shock for the upper, or since you have the bar pin eliminators, use another sleeve unless the upper bar pin bolt is 5/8". If it's gonna be a while before you can outboard the rear, I wouldn't just live with it myself, It's severly limiting what your lift is capable of.
I think your lower mounts are the same as stock, just heavier material.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 03-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #177
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
nope, definately wasn't pointing at you as far as flex, I say what's on my mind pretty much no matter what or when, sometimes I regret it but most people like it.

To use the L1 mounts, you just stuff in the sleeve on the lower axle mount and reuse the stock bar pin from the old shock for the upper, or since you have the bar pin eliminators, use another sleeve unless the upper bar pin bolt is 5/8". If it's gonna be a while before you can outboard the rear, I wouldn't just live with it myself, It's severly limiting what your lift is capable of.
I think your lower mounts are the same as stock, just heavier material.
Maybe I just need to talk myself into outboarding sooner rather than later....I wish I lived closer to SoCal... I know a guy down there that I would go bother until he helped me...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:02 PM   #178
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe I just need to talk myself into outboarding sooner rather than later....I wish I lived closer to SoCal... I know a guy down there that I would go bother until he helped me...
Heck if you had a 3 day weekend, you could make it up here to see me for a day and make it home in time for work tuesday, I work for food on Sunday's If I'm doing something I want to do, lol...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 04-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #179
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Minor set back today ...nothing major since there are still couple parts that aren't ready , or not here yet...

I bought the wrong Currie Track-bar. The CE-9120TJS has a stock axle housing bolt. 10MM or close (that's what I stuck in there and it seemed to be close). Well, my Rubicon Express Track Bar (RE-1610) has a 1/2" lower bushing and my track-bar mount on the axle has been drilled out to 1/2". I didn't install this track-bar so I didn't realize, nor did I pay attention when I ordered the track bar. So I just emailed Gerald to see if I can get this 9120TJS swapped out for a 9120TJJ that has the 1/2" lower mount... Guess I should have read and looked first

Currie Up top, RE below

10mm bolt (from my UCA that I just drilled out to 7/16" for the Johnny Joint bolt) and a 1/2" Drill bit (bits were closer than digging through a tray of bolts and I couldn't find the one I removed in my parts pile).
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Last edited by SuperWade2; 04-01-2010 at 10:00 PM..
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #180
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

don't do that, just swap the axle ends.... or get the axle end from JKS for a 99-04 WJ Grand Cherokee. I acually have one that needs a new bushing..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.