SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread - Page 52 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #766 of 1132 Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 PM
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario
Posts: 7,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post


No clue, this was my first time on Jack... we started just to the left of this sign, up and around to the right.




I'm pretty sure we came down Jack North... I think we were going to do Wrecking Ball, but I was just following the group...I had no clue what was what.
This is the gatekeeper thing



This is the the fun part of wrecking ball




My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #767 of 1132 Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 4,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
This is the gatekeeper thing


I think I "bypassed" it to the right after the first 2 rigs in front of me failed to get up

Does this look like this spot?

SuperWade2 is offline  
post #768 of 1132 Old 04-26-2012, 07:32 PM
StvDiego
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
Any closer pictures/video or specs of it?
He has 40" rock movers

Love his spotting technique,, such as it is. Did he back you into a rock yet; back, back, back, BAM, OK, that's far enough

Need to try to get another trip in before summer, only a couple of hours from here...
StvDiego is offline  
post #769 of 1132 Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 30,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
I think I "bypassed" it to the right after the first 2 rigs in front of me failed to get up

Does this look like this spot?

That's the beginning of Jack and that guy ain't on the line.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #770 of 1132 Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 4,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

That's the beginning of Jack and that guy ain't on the line.
Right... he didn't make it either...
SuperWade2 is offline  
post #771 of 1132 Old 04-26-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 4,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
Love his spotting technique,, such as it is. Did he back you into a rock yet; back, back, back, BAM, OK, that's far enough
Can't imagine anyone else I'd rather have spotting me...even with the ration of **** he gives me!
SuperWade2 is offline  
post #772 of 1132 Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 4,034
This is probably a pretty simple question but wanted to check before I did something I regretted.

I've never completely removed any of my RE Long Arms since they were installed coming up on 5 years ago this summer (although probably only 10-12K miles since installing). The fronts have been unbolted from the Axle a couple times for axle swapping/fixing, etc but I've never removed from the frame side, and never touched the rears.

Anyhow, I'd like to yank them off, check all the bushings, check / clean / service / throw fresh grease in the flex joints, maybe throw a coat of paint on them to keep from rusting where I've scrapped them pretty good on rocks... Also the Tri-Link connection in back is pretty gunky and want to make sure it's all good.

Anyhow the simple question is, can I just remove the arms one at a time, with the Jeep on level ground in garage, tires all touching the ground. Do the check/clean/service, re-install and move onto the next one?

I assume they should all be re-installed with specific torque values, but I'll have to dig up and see if I still have the install directions (I didn't install the lift originally, I had it done at a shop).

Thanks in Advance!

Wade
SuperWade2 is offline  
post #773 of 1132 Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 4,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
This is probably a pretty simple question but wanted to check before I did something I regretted.

I've never completely removed any of my RE Long Arms since they were installed coming up on 5 years ago this summer (although probably only 10-12K miles since installing). The fronts have been unbolted from the Axle a couple times for axle swapping/fixing, etc but I've never removed from the frame side, and never touched the rears.

Anyhow, I'd like to yank them off, check all the bushings, check / clean / service / throw fresh grease in the flex joints, maybe throw a coat of paint on them to keep from rusting where I've scrapped them pretty good on rocks... Also the Tri-Link connection in back is pretty gunky and want to make sure it's all good.

Anyhow the simple question is, can I just remove the arms one at a time, with the Jeep on level ground in garage, tires all touching the ground. Do the check/clean/service, re-install and move onto the next one?

I assume they should all be re-installed with specific torque values, but I'll have to dig up and see if I still have the install directions (I didn't install the lift originally, I had it done at a shop).

Thanks in Advance!

Wade
I guess I'll just do it and see how it turns out...if they find me dead under the rig I'll know it wasn't a good idea.
SuperWade2 is offline  
post #774 of 1132 Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
StvDiego
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
if they find me dead under the rig I'll know it wasn't a good idea.
Dibs on the Savvy stuff
StvDiego is offline  
post #775 of 1132 Old 05-10-2012, 08:23 PM
matthewh_1
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 234
I've had all 4 of my rear ones off at the same time with the parking brake on, no worries! I've even driven around missing one before.. You shouldn't have any issues removing one at a time.

National Topless Day 2010 winner!
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclauson View Post
When a girl tells you your flex is sexy then you are doing something right in life.
matthewh_1 is offline  
post #776 of 1132 Old 05-11-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 4,034
First Arm Off... Driver Lower... Nice and Gunky!



Just a few small scratches on bottom...


And the Rubber Bushing isn't horrible...small cracks, just a bit oblong, but not sure if repalcement warranted yet! Thoughts?
SuperWade2 is offline  
post #777 of 1132 Old 05-11-2012, 12:41 PM
MountainMan864
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 3,656
Take it all off and go sell Plasma and Sperm. Instant free new suspension system.
MountainMan864 is offline  
post #778 of 1132 Old 05-11-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 4,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Take it all off and go sell Plasma and Sperm. Instant free new suspension system.
Quite helpful, thanks!
SuperWade2 is offline  
post #779 of 1132 Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM
4wdjeepguy
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Anderson
Posts: 1,773
I was thinking out doing this as soon as I get some time. Planning on replacing the bushings and inspecting the races. Cleaning and regreasing everything. Putting on a fresh coat of black paint.

IG: CS_OFFROAD
YOUTUBE: CS OFFROAD
4wdjeepguy is offline  
post #780 of 1132 Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains
 
SuperWade2's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 4,034
First Superflex Joint disassembled, cleaned, inspected and put back together (Thanks to Stu's page for some help)...no damage or gouging on the nylon races or the ball, so cleaned off the old grease and put everything back together. I ordered the $20 RE tool to tighten the end of the joint, which won't be here till next week, but going to Yosemite for 4 days anyhow. Once we get back, I'll tighten, re-install and move on to the next arm. I also got a replacement Currie TRE today from Gerald that I will install and also replace the Steering Stabilizer.

Also threw on a coat of paint on the arms to keep things from rusting even though we have very little rust here, it was gouged bare metal.

SuperWade2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
My build thread black2door Jeep Builds 455 04-10-2012 03:37 PM
My 03 TJ Build Thread teamoney Jeep Builds 43 12-23-2011 05:48 AM
My new XJ build thread. Element96x Jeep Builds 85 03-28-2011 08:32 AM
97 TJ Build Thread joet7287 Jeep Builds 72 05-03-2010 12:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome