Super Slow Silver TJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Super Slow Silver TJ Build

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Super Slow Silver TJ Build

have been a long time lurker, but thought I would finally start a build thread now that I am doing some mods. Some of you may recognize me from the Off Road Action website and Facebook page. I grew up around the vintage and still love it, but the TJ is a lot more practical daily driver and camping rig than a CJ-5.

I bought this about a year ago. It is a 2005 TJ with a 4.0, 6 speed manual transmission, Dana 44 rear diff with disc brakes and factory limited slip. The previous owner installed a Warn rear bumper that is ready for the spare tire carrier, as well as a K&N replacement filter. Honestly, I was looking for a 4Runner, Xterra, XJ or Grand Cherokee but memories of my old YJ popped into my memory bank when I drove past it on the lot. Granted, it was not the V8 powered YJ on 40's that I used to own, but I did not want that. The open air “Jeep Thing” thoughts made me catch the bug again. In hindsight, it probably would have been more practical to find something like my lifted Grand Cherokee that I used to have. It was in great shape with low miles, though.

The previous owner chased me down one day and gave me the history on the Jeep. He traded it in to buy a 4 door JK. It was wheeled, but also maintained very well. Royal Purple synthetics all through and the thing was spotless. It did have some body work done on one side, though.

(Towed the ex g/f's trailer once. It actually handled not as bad as I thought it would!)

The object of the build, if it is even a real build, is for the Jeep to be a daily driver that I can do some mild four wheeling and camping with. I am lucky to have a new gf that love exploring as much as I do and has researched and organized the last few trips. She loves mud, however. Ugh. I have to start getting her to clean the Jeep after and see how much she likes it. My mudding days are over...The YJ on 40's was a bear to work on when mud keeps falling on you. Not much into the rock crawling stuff either, but will do it when needed. Do not mind the medium stuff, but not a fan of driving over rocks taller than my tires.

I want to keep a low centre of gravity. I have a picture in my head of what I want. My bank account says different. I am trying to pay the credit cards down. So for the next year, it will be little mods with a big emphasis on getting out and enjoying the Jeep.

(Do I really need to go totally hardcore if I can get views like this in a stock TJ with careful driving?)

I have done no real mods over the last year. Flipped the mirror and swapped the sun visors. Exciting, eh? But I did get out and had fun!

Stage 1:
Basic Maintenance (diff fluids, clean air filter, clean IAC, coolant flush,etc)
Trim Frt Bumper
Repaint Flares
Homemade Swaybar Disconnects
Storage (I have a few ideas rolling around)
CB
Steering Box Skid Plate
Oil Pan Skid
Sliders
Relocate Breathers
Fire Extinguisher

Stage 2:
2 to 3” Lift (Most likely OME or another brand with Bilstein shocks)
1” Body Lift
33 x 10.50 Tires On Stock Rims or Metric Version On Rubi's
Tummy Tuck
Motor Mount Lift
Raise Fuel Tank
Fuel Tank Skid
Currie Anti Rock

My Super Slow Silver Build
offroadaction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did some paint maintenance on Saturday. The rear Warn bumper was getting a lot of surface rust and it was just killing me. So, after work a few weeks ago I decided to remove the rear bumper and spend an hour or two here and there to get it all cleaned up. I wanted to remove it so I could get the back side as well. After 2 broken bolts, I found out about the infamous 4 bolts where you have to drop the tank for access. Fast forward to this Saturday.

I dropped the tank and could access the bolts with a regular ratchet but could not move them. My impact could get two if I completely removed the tank, but even the air ratchet I borrowed could not reach the other two. So, I said screw it, reinstalled the tank and cleaned up the bumper on the Jeep as good as I could.

Taped it off and primered it...

And voila! It looked just like new! I painted the fuel tank skid plate as well.

The back looked so good I decided to give the front a quick splash of paint...

Last edited by offroadaction; 06-03-2013 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: photos
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Saturday night, the gf decided she wanted to go for a drive last night and we ended up have a great time. Just a nice drive in an area that she had not been before.

Unread 06-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Today we installed the Kargo Master Congo Cage roof rack. I have had it for a few weeks but this was the first chance to install it. Overall, it is a strong rack and will do the trick. However, there is a lot of room for improvement. Little things, but I feel that I should get a great product for the price.

1. The instructions were meh. At one point they said to install bolt i. There was no bolt i in the diagram, so we did not know what to look for. We figured it out, but..

2. It came with brass colored hardware. Really? Bright brass color hardware on a black rack. I put one front mount on and the hardware just stood out to much for me, so I painted all the hardware. While we were waiting for it to dry, the gf helped me clean the interior of the Jeep. She organized all my Canadian Tire money and she organized the glove box. Only a person with OCD organizes a glove box. She did a great job cleaning the interior as well!

3. Some of the bolts were to long. I know I am being picky, but some of them have over a 1/2 to 3/4 inch of thread showing past the nut.

4. The big issue is the mount by the left taillight. There is only one way to bolt it up. I triple checked before I drilled the extra mounting hole, but could not see where it would end up on the inside of the tub. In the photo below, you can see that it is not only to close to the top of the wheelwell (the bolt in the photo is a longer one of smaller diameter that I had in the shop) and goes through an inner lip that is a weird shape. The nut will not sit flat against the tub. Any ideas on how to fix this, other than using a big hammer to flatten it?

Other than that, the rack looks great! I will probably have to order crossbars to get both kayaks up there.

Unread 06-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! Like the direction your going with the build.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks...it is a basic build and not much exciting. But it is mine...
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A few of us went out wheeling on Mt Lolo near Kamloops BC on Sunday. I suffered a slow leak in the left front (valve stem), tailpipe came off the hanger and somehow twisted my rear bumper and hitch up...

A few of the other rigs...

Unread 07-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not many mods lately, but lots of miles! I have about 3 weekends of trips photos to add here.

In the meantime, anyone have suggestions for a catback system? See my original post at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ca...tions-1538639/
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not many mods, but lots of miles on the Jeep! Some of my photos from my travels this year. All are via my Iphone and edited on my Iphone, so the quality is not the best. There is not many Jeep photos because I am driving!

Looking at Dunn Peak from the top of Baldy Mountain near Little Fort, BC

Looking east towards Kamloops from above Kamloops Lake.

Battle Bluffs above Kamloops Lake.

Date night sunset on top of Greenstone Mountain.

Greenstone Mountain Sunset.

Went for a run on Goose Lake Road near Kamloops.

Albas Falls near Seymour Arm.
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looking east towards Kamloops from Savona.

Chuwels Lake.

Ridge Lakes above Lac Le Juene. Definatly hitting this again next year to go from Ridge Lakes to Stump Lake.

Camping and Kayaking at North Barriere Lake provincial campsite. BTW, an awesome provincial campground!

Looking down onto Niskonlith Lake. The power line road above the lake is a great 4 Lo trail!

Coming down from Jacko Lake near Kamloops.

Evening Kayak on North Barriere Lake.

Going to have some fun! Will be making some cross bars before spring.

Greenstone Mountain Road.
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Knapweed is a nasty thing, but can be pretty as well.

One of my many runs up Greenstone Mountain.

Camping at Seymour Arm. Worst provincial campsite ever!

Bill and his FJ looking back towards Dunn Peak from Baldy Mountain.
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like I need an oil pan skidplate....

Unread 11-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sub'd I love those pics...I'm looking at trying to get a job in the pnw...it looks awesome out there

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I lived in Toronto for 10 years and cannot believe that I left BC for Toronto! I realized what I was missing when I moved back.
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadaction View Post
Thanks! I lived in Toronto for 10 years and cannot believe that I left BC for Toronto! I realized what I was missing when I moved back.
Yeah, it looks great. Haha, I've been applying for jobs in my field out there...but it's somewhat difficult applying from FL

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.