Super Duper Pete's White Russian Buildathon - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Super Duper Pete's White Russian Buildathon

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #91
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

And if anyone will ask if I'm interested in the J8 pick-up conversion.. Absolutely. The wife, not so much. Though she is very interested in the Brute 2 conversion that AEV is cooking up. She wants to retain the interior cab space which I can agree with. That conversion seems a bit more involved than the J8 conversion so I will not even try it, just send it in. This is also a mod that will not happen for years and years so we will see.

Unread 06-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #92
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

why not? its only welding. same steps as with the previous brute

and i think you'd be fine with the original 1.5's. its all on what you want. i know a guy that is an expert at 6061-T6 Aluminum and he made me a set, i wanted 2" so he took care of me.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #93
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
why not? its only welding. same steps as with the previous brute

and i think you'd be fine with the original 1.5's. its all on what you want. i know a guy that is an expert at 6061-T6 Aluminum and he made me a set, i wanted 2" so he took care of me.
OK Spyder6 when the time comes, I will do it myself. Hopefully by that time I have more experience behind the MIG.

Man, I have a bunch of traffic on these wildpeaks. These will go faster than I thought.
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #94
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

They give you a jig to put your frame in, then you burn the **** out of it with a MIG. If you can join to pieces of plate together with proper penetration and fill - you'll be able to do a brute yourself. I have faith in you

Sent by Paper Planes

Unread 06-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #95
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
They give you a jig to put your frame in, then you burn the **** out of it with a MIG. If you can join to pieces of plate together with proper penetration and fill - you'll be able to do a brute yourself. I have faith in you

Sent by Paper Planes
HAHA. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm sure that when the time came and got a quote for the installation, I would have done it myself anyways. Besides, liquid courage has gotten me this far.

What's your take on my J8 bumper ideas? Any experience working with C channel? Do you know if it comes in thicker metal? I want it to be sturdy.
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #96
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverhide34 View Post
HAHA. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm sure that when the time came and got a quote for the installation, I would have done it myself anyways. Besides, liquid courage has gotten me this far.

What's your take on my J8 bumper ideas? Any experience working with C channel? Do you know if it comes in thicker metal? I want it to be sturdy.
I'm personally not a fan of them - however i don't think you'd have an issue locating the C-channel in the dimensions you want. i think 1/4" would be MORE than substantial enough. why not see if you can order the bumpers through mopar?

Unread 06-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #97
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm personally not a fan of them - however i don't think you'd have an issue locating the C-channel in the dimensions you want. i think 1/4" would be MORE than substantial enough. why not see if you can order the bumpers through mopar?
Those bumpers seem very easy to fabricate. And odds are, Mopar probably sells them for more than I'm willing to pay. Benchmark Designs has a similar bumper to what my end result will be. It's called the Sport Winch Bumper. I like the simplicity and rugged look that it has. Something like this would be extremely easy to fabricate and at a fraction of the price.
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #98
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

hell, at that price id just get the benchmark one. its not worth my time

Unread 06-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #99
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
hell, at that price id just get the benchmark one. its not worth my time
I concur. My dilemma also lies with my factory fog lights. I don't know if I should ditch them or put axillary lights in their place and mount them on the designated area on this bumper.
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #100
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I'm going to run the Black Diamond Fab brackets with Rigid Dually D2's in place of the OEM Foglights. you could run the PSC fairlead mount and put a set of Dually's or D2's and wire them into the OEM harness

Unread 10-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #101
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Update

So check it out.

I installed the Benchmark Designs Sport Front Bumper. This one is the longer design that has provisions for fog lights. It too 3 weeks to get to me even though I was promised 1 and I never received a shipping confirmation or contact from the company after payment. I hear that reliability with shipping is a norm for this company.

Either way I was given a KILLER deal. I got this bumper for 260 and already powder coated when it was supposed to be 300 bare metal. It's 3/16 thick steel. The workmanship is top notch and the fog lights fit nicely in the holes. Also, the attached winch mounting plate has nice supports and drains and my winch mounted with ease. The downside was that the bumper came with no mounting hardware so I am using the original tow hooks. I'm getting used to the looks.

I have the 12,000LBS Badlands Winch sold by Harbor Freight. Another wicked deal at $280.
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #102
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

pete, great build up so far! I love it! I've got a 2008 jk unlimited and i've been debating on final upgrades. I think i'm going with the flat fenders, exact same tires 35x12.5 wild peaks, and front and rear bumpers from ACE also. I'm glad you like the teraflex performance lift because honestly that's the one that I would like to use. Throw on a set of bilstein 5100's and i'm all done! Besides the size, are you happy with the falkens?
xraypat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #103
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraypat23 View Post
pete, great build up so far! I love it! I've got a 2008 jk unlimited and i've been debating on final upgrades. I think i'm going with the flat fenders, exact same tires 35x12.5 wild peaks, and front and rear bumpers from ACE also. I'm glad you like the teraflex performance lift because honestly that's the one that I would like to use. Throw on a set of bilstein 5100's and i'm all done! Besides the size, are you happy with the falkens?
As a matter of fact I love them. I keep telling myself that my next set will be M/T's but I can't deny that the Falkens have served me well. Mud, dirt, rocks, snow... I can't believe how well these do. And they're whisper quiet. I only wish that they were more a aggressive. But that is my only complaint. 2 thumbs way up for these tires.

The leveling kit is serving its purpose. It's handling all of my extra weight and keeping my rig leveled without losing articulation. Only I do wish that I had paid an extra hundred and gone with their 2.5" lift and stock shock extenders. But that's a very shallow regret since I wanted to keep it nice and low anyway.

An update to come soon this weekend. I will be installing the Or-Fab Swing away with gerry cans and the EVO rear D-ring mounts. Stay tuned.

Be sure to throw up some pictures. We like that here. Looking forward to your results.
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #104
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

I plan on doing a whole build thread, as of right now she's still bone stock! Glad to hear you're satisfied with everything you've done so far. Unfortunately my trucks going to live mostly on road with the occasional trip to the beach or up to a ski mountain. So glad to hear you love your treads! I plan on ordering everything at once, and dedicating a weekend to the buildup, so a full series of pics will follow. After you did the tf lift did you have to take it in to be re-aligned?
xraypat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #105
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

A lot of people said that I didn't need to. That I just needed to correct my steering by adjusting my drag link (also provided in the instructions). But I took it in anyway for a balance and alignment check. Turns out I needed both. I take it in every 10,000m to get rechecked and after every trip.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.