Super Duper Pete's White Russian Buildathon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Super Duper Pete's White Russian Buildathon

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Super Duper Pete's White Russian Buildathon

Ok fellas. The time has come for my build to begin. I have sat on the sidelines watching other builds and I have learned plenty.... And now it's my turn.

I have a white 2011 JKUR. Daily driver on a budget if it matters to anyone. I will be doing a "Low Center Of Gravity Build". That means no lift other than a leveling kit. I plan on running 35's and upon regear, 37's.

As far as current but not relevant mods in case anyone is interested in info:

Mopar Hood Lock
Mopar Slush Mats
Mopar Locking Gas Cap
Spare Tire Lock by I don't remember who...

My first purchase has come in this passed Saturday. I invested in Metal Cloak Overline Fenders. A hefty investment that does not seem sound to most but it is the foundation of my build and was indeed necessary. Not only will they fit 37's stock and look damn sexy, but I can detach the flare if the situation gets hairy.

Pictures to come.

Unread 02-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

The picture of my Jeep is how it looks at it's current state. Just today I unwrapped the boxes of my fenders. I also began my attack with rattle cans. I decided not to have them powder coated since 1, this will be a trail rig and damage will make me shed a tear. Now I can touch up on the go. 2, The price for powder coating was outrageous and I already donated a kidney for these fenders (kidding). and 3, I like working on my Jeep so doing it my self is not a nuisance, but a hobby.

I used red primer and duplicolor bed liner spray. Coverage is amazing and I'm sure that I will be happy and accomplished with the end result.

Unread 02-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
str8edg
2014 JK Wrangler 

Awesome! I'm thinking along the same lines, but have a question if I may... Why not a small 2 inch or 2 1/2 suspension lift? Can't wait to see those fenders installed!!!
str8edg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8edg View Post
Awesome! I'm thinking along the same lines, but have a question if I may... Why not a small 2 inch or 2 1/2 suspension lift? Can't wait to see those fenders installed!!!
I have given it great thought and was a hair close from buying the Teraflex 2.5. Then almost decided on BDS 2 in. And OME 2 in was also in my list.

When it came down to it... it would have meant lift, wheels and tires and no other purchases for a long time. I dislike the plastic fenders so there would have been a downside to my build until I could afford fenders that I liked. The MetalCloaks offered function and form and the ability to run the tires that I wanted from the get go and that's why I pulled the trigger on them.

Also, the thought of tampering with all of the things that are caused by lifting (e.g. caster, diff alignment) made it easier to choose against a lift. I will be going with the Teraflex coil leveling kit. This will not only offer one more inch of lift but also increased articulation not provided by a spacer lift.

And I wouldn't feel rushed to lift after installing my 35's.
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
str8edg
2014 JK Wrangler 

Very cool, haven't thought of that. I think I'd be happy with 35s... Looking forward to your build and pics!
str8edg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverhide34 View Post
I have given it great thought and was a hair close from buying the Teraflex 2.5. Then almost decided on BDS 2 in. And OME 2 in was also in my list.

When it came down to it... it would have meant lift, wheels and tires and no other purchases for a long time. I dislike the plastic fenders so there would have been a downside to my build until I could afford fenders that I liked. The MetalCloaks offered function and form and the ability to run the tires that I wanted from the get go and that's why I pulled the trigger on them.

Also, the thought of tampering with all of the things that are caused by lifting (e.g. caster, diff alignment) made it easier to choose against a lift. I will be going with the Teraflex coil leveling kit. This will not only offer one more inch of lift but also increased articulation not provided by a spacer lift.

And I wouldn't feel rushed to lift after installing my 35's.
you could always go AEV Budget Boost (2") for under $260.00 from JF Vendors
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON_ View Post
you could always go AEV Budget Boost (2") for under $260.00 from JF Vendors
I also gave that kit some thought. I hear that ride quality suffers and the stock springs will still sag if you increase weight with bumpers, winch and additional armor (which I fully intend to do). I know that the Teraflex Performance leveling kit is pricey compared to other leveling kits, but I trust Teraflex as a manufacturer and I know that their springs can hold up to whatever I throw at it and ride comfort will not suffer... or suffer less.

Also, I am trying to keep away from coil spring spacers as best as possible.

And remember... function AND form is what I'm expecting from every investment in my build. The TF Performance Leveling Kit will also allow me to flex better than with a coil spring spacer.

Still, thanks for the suggestion.
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I also gave that kit some thought. I hear that ride quality suffers and the stock springs will still sag if you increase weight with bumpers, winch and additional armor (which I fully intend to do). I know that the Teraflex Performance leveling kit is pricey compared to other leveling kits, but I trust Teraflex as a manufacturer and I know that their springs can hold up to whatever I throw at it and ride comfort will not suffer... or suffer less.

Also, I am trying to keep away from coil spring spacers as best as possible.

And remember... function AND form is what I'm expecting from every investment in my build. The TF Performance Leveling Kit will also allow me to flex better than with a coil spring spacer.

Still, thanks for the suggestion.
When you upgrade to winch and bumpers i'd upgrade the springs to OME HD springs. I hear they are made for the weight.
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
When you upgrade to winch and bumpers i'd upgrade the springs to OME HD springs. I hear they are made for the weight.
I also heard great things about the OME springs. Only time will tell. As for now, these fenders need to be installed. Then a front bumper (if you can't tell I hate... HATE the way the plastic, distasteful, sub-par quality OEM makes my rig look).

Tires, wheels, and leveling kit seem to be last on my list. Mainly because of the expense. I am looking at either Cragar Soft 8's or MT Classic 2 in black.
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I also heard great things about the OME springs. Only time will tell. As for now, these fenders need to be installed. Then a front bumper (if you can't tell I hate... HATE the way the plastic, distasteful, sub-par quality OEM makes my rig look).

Tires, wheels, and leveling kit seem to be last on my list. Mainly because of the expense. I am looking at either Cragar Soft 8's or MT Classic 2 in black.
just out of curiosity... how much weight are the fenders adding? I may go tube flats next year . just wondering.
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
just out of curiosity... how much weight are the fenders adding? I may go tube flats next year . just wondering.
Exact amount I couldn't tell you... But they are CRAZY heavy. I would put one front fender around 50 lbs. So a ball park of the total would be 160-185 lbs. Like I said... not sure, but a lot.
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Texas Jeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

can't wait to see some pictures. This is what I want to do to my JKU
3.5 RK lift with 35 inch Duratrac's
1985 CJ7

Texas Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Chief602
2012 JK Wrangler 

Let her rip and make me drool.
Chief602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Exact amount I couldn't tell you... But they are CRAZY heavy. I would put one front fender around 50 lbs. So a ball park of the total would be 160-185 lbs. Like I said... not sure, but a lot.
dang ok. i may have to upgrade springs when i get to that point. Thanks and good luck! get us some installed pics soon.
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

I haven't been able to get any work done today but I did finish all of the bed lining on the fenders yesterday. I will try to start the install on Sunday. I just placed an order for Rough Country's bumper end caps.

It was very affordable and will provide the functionality of a stubby bumper until I can afford an aftermarket bumper.

When I'm ready to make the purchase I will be dropping all the money at once for a front and rear bumper with tire carrier and winch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.