Super Cheap XJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Super Cheap XJ Build

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!TJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" lNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 02-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
VR1

Super Cheap XJ Build

My name is Sterling. I am a college student in New Mexico and needed a vehicle, so looking for a cheap Cherokee, I found one on craigslist that would suit my needs. I have a habit of trading items on craigslist so this fit the bill since the previous owner was willing to trade a laptop I got plus $100.

In total I payed $210 for the 94 XJ, and it looks the part. The owner said that a tree fell and hit the front knocking out a motor mount and making the engine block un-usable. The Jeep has all parts other than the block and the front grill.

Over the next couple of months I am going to attempt to make this road worthy. Chime in if you have any ideas or any assorted comments or thoughts. They will be welcome since I have little experience with these Jeeps but am eager to learn.

Last edited by VR1; 02-17-2015 at 06:08 PM..
VR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
VR1

Engine Bay Painting

I took some panels off of the Jeep and decided to start painting the engine bay.

Unread 02-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
VR1

I decided to clean it, and it was a bit of a mess inside...

It is going to get stripped down:

Unread 02-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
JLITTY
1946 CJ2A 

Interested to see what you can accomplish on the cheap . Subscribed
JLITTY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
91AzXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very patriotic looking with the red-white and blue..
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
picflight
1996 ZJ 

Shouldn't you be concentrating on college and finish up quick to get a well paying job? After college you will have a more secure future to buy a running jeep.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 05:29 AM   #7
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Keep it up!

Since you trade and barter, maybe you can have a running, driving, and legal cherokee for under $500 that would be an accomplishment.
98TJcomeonuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
VR1

Thanks guys. Ha ha. I think it will be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picflight View Post
Shouldn't you be concentrating on college and finish up quick to get a well paying job? After college you will have a more secure future to buy a running jeep.
Pretty much what my mother said... Only putting in an hour every day or so on it.
Unread 02-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
VR1

So I bought some tires from a JK Sahara for $100 (better than what is on the Jeep.) Just need some cheap adapters for them now.
I know that it would seem like a waste to get pretty run down tires, but it will give me an excuse to at least have it roll-able, and then if I come upon other rims I can use the 5x5 bolt pattern if need be.

I am going to look at a Junkyard engine today and see what condition it will be in or if running. Jeep just said "no keys."

Unread 02-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rough country adapters are like 120 for 4.
Unread 02-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #11
VR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJcomeonuh View Post
Rough country adapters are like 120 for 4.
That is what I was looking at actually.

Does anyone know what all parts are different from the pre-92 renix fuel injected engines, other than the head, and injections?

I found an 87 Cherokee (~150,000 miles) in the junk yard that looked like someone had babied it but it was missing a transmission. The engine bay was filled with wires, but the engine had the older valve cover style. The weird things was that it had the new multi-port injection system. The junk yard could not test it.

My guess is that the owner was trying to breath some new life into it, since the grill/header panel, lights, tail lights, bumper all seemed pretty new, and not sun damaged. If they went through the trouble of swapping the injection system it must have been a good engine.

Any ideas anyone?
Unread 02-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

87 was the first year of the Cherokee with the 4.0 it is fuel injected. Unless I just totally misunderstood your question.
Unread 02-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #13
VR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJcomeonuh View Post
87 was the first year of the Cherokee with the 4.0 it is fuel injected. Unless I just totally misunderstood your question.
Maybe. The 87 comes with a renix injection. Jeep shifted to the multi-port injection after 92 I thought. Totally different systems from what understood, but I am not sure how they are different.

I want to know what to look for to figure out if the previous owner swapped the injection systems, or dropped in a newer engine.
Unread 02-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #14
VR1

Alright guys. I bought an engine from the Junkyard and the header panel (~$200) which I was missing. The engine came off of the '87 with ~150,000 miles on it. The jeep looked well cared for but the owner ripped out the transmission for some reason.

Because it is an '87 block I will have to use the head from my Jeep and the injection system, which I luckily happen to have. Hopefully it all works. Will have pictures of the project in the next few days.

Last edited by VR1; 02-16-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Unread 02-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #15
VR1

I have decided over the next week as I prep the engine I am going to go ahead and port the 94 (7120) head. I can at least clean it up a bit and take out any manufacturing defects.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.