Stumpfarming's 73' CJ5 Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Stumpfarming's 73' CJ5 Build

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

Stumpfarming's 73' CJ5 Build

Here I go with a 1973 CJ5. This Jeep was purchased new by my brother-in-law's grandfather who used it for 20 years as a farm-utility vehicle in his apple orchards in eastern Washington State. The Jeep then sat for about 8 years, and was rescued by my brother-in-law's father in the mid to late 1990's. It had some serious rust repare and an engine rebuild at that time. My brother-in-law drove it thru college, but it only lasted 13K miles on a poor rebuild of the original in-line 6-cyl. The T-15 was slipping at the same time, and so the Jeep sat. My brother-in-law had the engine and tranny pulled, and the Jeep has sat in his garage ever since (with a brief time spent out to pasture during a move). He finally relented that he would likley never do anything with it, and so I picked it up two months ago.

Stumpfarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

I started breaking it down today. I am very pleased. It appears to be pretty clean.

Unread 12-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

The lower corner of the passenger fender had been welded to the tub during the late 1990's repair. I cut it on the seam, and broke the bottom bolt that had rusted in place. For fear of cutting too deep, I left a bit here that tore away when I pulled off the fender.

Unread 12-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

It looks like the greatest rust problems in the first repair were found up front on the passenger side. This is the front body mount on the passenger side. It looks like someone doctored things up a bit. Not sure what to do here, if appears sound should I just knock the paint and rust off and repaint it, or should I cut the whole thing out and replace it with a solid bar? We'll see as it comes apart. I'm open to suggestions here. I'm not looking for a show quality rig, just something reliable on a budget that's gonna hold up to some moderate trails over the next 20 years.

Unread 12-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

During the first repair, it appears the rusted floorboards had been cut out and replaced with glavanized metal that was screwed, riveted, and welded in. A bit of a patchwork job; however, it was done well and everything is sound, so I think I will polish it up and coat right over it. I'm looking at utility and function here, and it clearly serves purpose as is.

Unread 12-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

Here's the front spring mount on the passenger side. I'm a little skeptical of this repair. Any suggestions for beefing this up or improving the original repair? I'm not really interested in a modern spring conversion upgrade, though I will likely install a 2.5-3" CJ spring lift.

Plans include a 1" body lift in conjunction with the suspension lift so that I have adequate room for 33's. I'm not a big fan of body lifts; however, I also don't want to make large adjustments to stearing geometry.
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice cj

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

More progress! A few more components to pull from under the dash and then it's on to tackling the body mounts and pulling the tub. Only 1 bolt broken so far, everything else has come off with ease. Though, I'm now afraid that payback may be coming my way when I try to unbolt the tub!

Unread 12-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

Rust hidden behind the diamond plating and inside the wheel wells. Compared to other jeeps I've seen on this forum, I'm pretty happy with what I am finding. It does appear to go all the way through, but a relatively simple fix by the looks of it. It's been 15 years since I have welded. Time to brush up I guess.

Unread 01-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #10
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

An appropriate way to start the new year. The tub is off! I am fortunate to have only broken one bolt during the entire disassembly. Everything else came apart with ease. The next step is to finish stripping the frame and start from bare metal. I had a good friend and his Dad stop by to give me some advice on the rust repair to the tub. Once I cut and fit the patches, they will weld them for me and repair a couple of the body mounts. Found a bit more rust once the tub was off, but no worries.

Unread 02-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #11
tymbom

Looks good.. Have you made any more progress?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbom View Post
Looks good.. Have you made any more progress?

No progress as of late. Weekends have been filled with kid's birthdays and honey do's, not to mention the cold weather. Next on the list is to finish stripping the frame (brake lines, fuel tank, steering box). Looking forward to getting it down to bare metal. I'm thinking about doing the Ford shock tower conversion, and may pick those parts up soon so that I can install them as I rebuild and rust-treat the frame. Progress will be slow at first. Hoping to have some more funds roll in around early summer and get moving on it a bit more then.
Unread 02-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #13
tymbom

Cool... I ended up taking a couple months off too... The hardest part is staying motivated

Unread 06-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #14
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

Things have finally slowed down and I have some time to get back to work on the Jeep. I pulled the fuel tank over the weekend and this is what I found. I'm hoping the rust I am seeing is just from water settling in the low spot in the filler neck? and not a symptom of what the rest of the tank looks like? Fuel certainly smelled like turpentine. Hoping I don't need to replace the tank. Any thoughts from anyone?
[URL="http://[URL=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/Stumpfarming/media/IMG_1978_zps3ad71c07.jpg.html][/URL]"]
http://
Unread 07-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
vstre

It looking nice, good job!
vstre is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.