Stubby 02 TJ Build Thread DD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Stubby 02 TJ Build Thread DD

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 06-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Stubby 02 TJ Build Thread DD

JEEP SPECIFICATIONS [ -Where she stands today-]
[Note: All parts listed are IMO an upgrade from stock, I have replaced many more parts than listed over the years but I feel aren't necessary to note. Like most Jeepers, I have gone through trail and error with many parts trying to decide what I like and don't like. ALL parts listed below are currently on the Jeep)

MODEL INFORMATION:
Sport Edition
Dana 30 Front Axle/Dana 44 Rear Axle 3:73 Gear Ratio
32RH 3-Speed Automatic Transmission
NP231 Transfer Case
4.0L AMC Inline 6
155k Miles As of 6/26/2014 (current mileage changes daily)
5.5" Lift Total

MPG:
City: 16
Highway: 18.3

SUSPENSION:
Rubicon Express 3.5" Front Coil Springs + 3/4" Coil Spacer
Rough Country 2.5" Rear Coil Springs
1.25" Body Lift
1" Motor Mount Lift
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
RC Rear Track Bar Relocation Bracket
RC Quick Disconnects
Moog Non-Adjustable Front Track Bar
Moog Upper/Lower Ball Joints
Timken Hub Assemblies

BRAKES:
A1 Cardone Brake Calipers
A1 Cardone Brake Drums
Wagner Brake Pads/Shoes
Wagner Rotors

FUEL/AIR/EXHAUST:
K&N Cold Air Intake w/K&N Drycharger Wrap
Banks Back Cat Exhaust System
Carter Fuel Pump Assembly
NTK O2 Sensors (All Four)
Stant Locking Gas Cap w/Cap Armour

GASKETS:
FelPro
Differential Gaskets
Valve Cover
Thermostat
Transmission

STEERING:
Moog Axle Shaft U-Joints
Dodge Durango Steering Gearbox Upgrade
Moog Tie Rod Ends All Ends
OME (Old Man Emu) Steering Stabilizer

BODY/ARMOR:
JCR Pre-Runner Front Bumper (Added on Winch Plate/Light Tabs/D-Rings)
Bushwacker Rocker Panels
Smittybilt Steel Entry Guards
QRC Rear Oversized Tire Carrier/Tube Bumper
Poison Spyder Hood Louver
Rough Country Steel Tubed Sliders
Flush Round LED Brake Lights

ELECTRICAL/SENSORS:
MOPAR
TPS
MAF
CKPS
CT
IAC
CPS
Ignition Coil Rail
KC Fog Lights
IIPA Fog Lights
Sylvania Headlights
Platinum ACDelco Battery
VIPER Security Alarm w/Motion Sensor
OBDII Scanner

TRANSMISSION:
B&M SuperCooler Automatic Trans. Cooler
Auto Meter Trans. Gauge
MOPAR Deep Trans. Pan (Holds 2 extra quarts of ATF)

TRANSFER CASE:
31 Tooth Splined Gear

WHEELS/TIRES
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrec 33-12.5R15
Micky Thompson Baja MTZ 33-12.5R15 (Spare)
Black Steel Wheels
Gorilla Wheel Lock Lugs

INTERIOR:
Custom Dome Light Kill Switch
Fire Extinguisher/Roll Cage Holder
Smittybilt Overhead Console (With many added goodies)
Uniden CB Kit
Wilson Antenna
Other Custom Dash Work...

COOLING:
Champion 2 Core Aluminum Radiator

What she looks like presently: 6/26/14

img_20140615_171729.jpg

catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

"My Story" (Why/How I got into Jeeps)

Hey guys/gals, names Ryan and I am a Jeepaholic. Not quite as dangerous as an alcoholic but it can be a little more expensive It all started about 4-5 years ago when I was with a good friend of mine who had a buddy with a Wrangler. It was a beautiful summer day and we decided to go out and grab a bite to eat at the local drive-N-dine restaurant called "Eddys". My friends buddy drove his old red YJ, topless to the restaurant, and it was from that moment on that I wanted one. At the time I was driving an old Chevy Corsica (My first car) and she was getting to be on her last leg. I decided it was time to save some money until she finally gave out and I could purchase a Wrangler. For the next two years, I put $100 away a week into my savings account, and when I finally had around $7000 saved up, I began looking. I looked around with my buddies dad (a master mechanic) for about 6 months, looking at countless wranglers (at the time I only wanted a Wrangler for taking the top down, I didn't have any intentions of wheeling it). Being that I didn't know a damn thing about vehicles at the time, my buddies dad told me to find a Jeep with a solid frame with no rust, the bigger rear dana 44 axle, and the straight 6. I personally wanted a manual but all the manuals we came across were either beat to hell or to old. (This Jeep was to be used as a daily driver so I wanted her to be somewhat current).

Finally, after looking through countless Jeeps I found myself the right one. I found her at a Certified Ford dealership, and although I preferred finding one through a private seller that already had mods added on, this Jeep was in phenomenal shape. I can honestly say that too now, considering I have had her for over 3 years and she has had very few major/minor problems of her own. 90% of everything I have upgraded/replaced has been because I wanted to do it, not because the part failed. So all in all, this Jeep has done me well and I expect it to last me a long time. I bought the 02 TJ with 126k miles on the original engine. She only had one previous owner who was from California, so rust free The Jeep also had a clean title, so for $11,000 I'd say I got a good deal.

When I bought the Jeep, not only was she in great shape, but she was also bare bone stock. Not a single thing was modified on the Jeep, even the tires were worn and in need of replacement. I look back now and am much happier I found a Jeep with no mods because it has allowed me to not only customize it 100% the way I want it, but also learn A LOT. Like I mentioned earlier, before I bought the Jeep I knew absolutely NOTHING about cars. I honestly didn't even know how to change a tire. Before I bought the Jeep I was a avid Martial Artist (Still practice today) and gaming nerd (quite the mix huh?). But it was when I bought the Jeep and wanted to start adding parts to it such as a lift kit and bigger tires, I realized paying a mechanic for every little or big upgrade was going to get very expensive on top of the parts themselves. So that's when I bought myself a manual and started spending hours on the forums to learn as much as I could so that I could work on the Jeep myself and not have to pay someone else. So the Jeep has not only been good to me as far as bringing happiness and fun times, but also has given me a good level of mechanical skills.

The Jeep is my daily driver, and so due to that I only wheel the Jeep a few times a year. I drive a little over 800 miles a month JUST for work so I need to keep her in tip top shape to get me back and forth to work. And not only that, but she is the only vehicle I have access to (being that I live on my own) so I have to take care of her. I wish I could wheel her more, but until I am able to get a second vehicle as a daily driver or make more money, one of the two, I'll have to stick to just a few yearly trips. But if you're in the same boat as me, then you probably know those few trips are a heck of a lot more exciting when the time comes!!!

"Day One" The Day I brought her home!
imag0024.jpg

Unread 06-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

FUTURE PLANS

As of now, the Jeep is pretty much where I've always envisioned it. Will I still be adding other parts? Of course! But for the most part I'd have to say it's complete, at least for now. As I mentioned above, the Jeep is my DD so adding 35's like I'd really like to, just isn't feasible right now. In the future I plan on doing some other extensive work, but it most likely won't happen until I get a second vehicle.

Future Add-Ons:
35-12.5 Goodyear MTRs
4:56 Gearing
Transfer Case SYE
Front JKS Adjustable Track Bar
US Alloy Axle Shafts
US Alloy Ball Joints
Long Arms (Unsure of which brand)
Eaton E Lockers F/R
Heavier Duty Steering
Differential Armor
Bestop Full Soft Doors
New Soft Top with Tinted Windows
Half Doors
Improved Water Pump (Unsure of brand)
More General Maintenance...

I'll try to keep everyone updated with all my activity on the Jeep, even if it is something as simple as an oil change provided with some pictures.
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

TIMELINE

First thing I did with the Jeep was purchase some blue seat covers, slush mats, and Sony Face plate Radio with all around Pioneer Speakers. However I have since removed the seat covers and put on a matching blue water proof set I got off Amazon in both the front and rear and relocated the "Jeep" slush mats to the back and put some tougher ones that cover the entire floor board up front.

I then went to the local off road shop "Mumblys" and purchased some KC Fog Lights and added a decal I made myself.

It was then time to get myself some new meat, I had always liked the BFG A/T tire and since it was my DD I wanted something that provided performance on/off road that wouldn't affect the mpg much. I stuck with the 31" BFG A/T tire and got all new 15x8 Classic II Aluminum Rims (Which I later sold because aluminum doesn't hold up well in Michigan, or on a Jeep period).

As you can see, I also purchased a new front bumper as well. I went with JCR since I had heard they did some really great work. This is the JCR Pre-Runner bumper JRC provides and I specially ordered that they added on the D-Rings, Winch Plate, Light Tabs, and Front Receiver for future uses. I also added on the PIAA Extreme 510 Fog Lights to the bumper that I ordered from Quadratec.

I added 1.5" Wheel Spacers to the Jeep to add a bit of stability and took the fenders off and painted them. (Note that later on I would remove the spacers completely).

I then added Bushwacker pocket fenders to the Jeep and a Jeep hood bra. (Both have been removed, the fenders were due to less room for articulation which I learned very fast when I took it off road my first time and cracked the front passenger side one, and I removed the hood bra because well...I decided it looked much better without).

I then tinted the headlights for that "Angry Eyes" look but again later removed because I didn't want to copy everyone else.

Me and the Jeep, summer of 2011

Unread 06-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

CONTINUED BUILD...

I next decided to go with a cold air intake, my choice was the K&N Cold Air. I later learned that the Cold Air Intake can actually be more harmful that good due to the dust particles it lets in. I inspected my throttle body and found that it would get dirty much faster with the Cold Air on than stock. I thought I'd at least test one more thing and have since put a K&N Drycharger Wrap on the filter and since then the throttle body has stayed spot clean.

So after saving up for a few months, it was finally time to put a lift kit on the Jeep. I didn't have to much money to work with at the time but I wanted some more height. When I had taken it off road a few times prior, she had hardly any room for articulation and I felt nervous I'd smack something on the under body. I then purchased Rough Country's 2.5" Suspension Lift with the 2.2 Performance Shocks. I also ordered the RC rear track bar relocation bracket, front adjustable track bar, and quick disconnects. With that also came a Smittybilt XRC8 Winch and I added some paint to the front end as well. Added Bushwacker Rocker Panel Guards and painted the top half of the doors with some truck bed liner. Also added a "Silver Lake Sand Dunes" decal to the drivers side door that I had gotten from Silver Lake MI.

(I have since removed all Rough Country products from my Jeep except the quick disconnects, rear track bar relocation bracket, and sliders which I purchased at a later date because I'm sure as many of you know, RC is GARBAGE).

Unread 06-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

CONTINUED BUILD...

2013 came and it was time for some more upgrades. You will probably find in time that most of my upgrades are installed in the beginning of Summer. Pretty much I put away money for the Jeep all year in a separate account, and once Summer rolls around and its nice enough to work outside, I go on a Jeep purchasing frenzy. So for the next week or so, my front door is lined with packages like Christmas

The Jeep was startin to look pretty good, but she still needed a lot of work to get to where I wanted it. Spring had arrived which meant more Jeep parts and new opportunities. The lift kit had been on for a few months now and I was beginning to learn that I really didn't like Rough Country. Soon I would be upgrading...

With the lift kit performing like garbage, I upgraded to all around Bilstein 5100 shocks...these things are AMAZING, I would recommend the Bilstein product to anybody.

I had noticed that the Jeep had a few oil spots on the ground after I had let her sit for awhile. I inspected and found that the valve cover gasket was leaking so it was time to pull the valve cover off for my first time and replace it.

I do not have pictures of everything I had replaced/upgraded on the Jeep simply because at the time I replaced/upgraded parts I didn't think I would be making a build thread down the road. However, I believe it was around this time I had replaced many other parts on the Jeep such as all around brakes, fuel pump assembly, all of the sensors on the Jeep, a good variety of gaskets, ignition coil, starter, battery, ect, ect...

Here's a shot of the Jeep at Silver Lake Sand Dunes last year before her major makeover...

Here in MI we are known for the motor city, I'm not sure what it is like in other states but here we have many car shows & cruises. It was last year that I had went to a local cruise and met a group of fantastic people (with Jeeps!)

I had started to notice a clicking sound coming from my front end wheel well, I inspected the axle shaft U-Joints and found they were worn. I replaced them with some Moog U-Joints.

At this point Summer was reaching it's end and I really didn't want to worry about my aluminum rims taking salt damage anymore. I was also itching for some bigger tires since the 31's looked kinda small on the Jeep. So I sold the tires that were still in excellent shape and threw on some poop tires until a found a pair I liked.

Since the Jeep is my DD and I wanted a tire that was still road friendly, but I wanted something a bit more aggressive as well. After much research, it was between the Goodyear Duratrec and MTR and I had heard from many that the Duratrecs last longer than the MTR so I decided to go with those as well as some ProComp Black Steel Wheels in a 15x8 size. Now I wouldn't have to worry about polishing the aluminum rims all the time and getting them dirty.

I had seen a few Jeeps at the Jeep meet and greets with the flush LED brake lights, I really liked it and started to do some research on how to do it. I think it turned out pretty good for a $30 job.

This is a shot from one of the local Jeep nights up at Dooleys in Roseville MI

Winter had come and every day this past Winter could have been considered a off road experience when driving anywhere. We had more snow this past Winter than any other Winter recorded in history. Good thing I had the bigger tires, the Jeep was running great.

Unread 06-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

BUILD CONTINUED...

Getting closer to present, I had decided in Winter that once Summer had come it was time to upgrade/replace quite a few parts on the Jeep. Once the warm weather had rolled around, I went ahead and purchased/installed all new front end parts. Ball Joints, all new Tie Rods, Hub Assemblies, Coil Springs (Rubicon Express 3.5"), Steering Stabilizer (OME), All new drive train U-Joints, Motor Mounts, Trans Mount, Coolant Flush with all new hoses/thermostat/housing/Aluminum 2 Core Rad, Deeper Transmission Oil Pan with a Autometer Gauge installed, external trans cooler mounted on the front of the Radiator, and probably more I can't think of. It was a lot of work and obviously a lot of cash, but the Jeep is running excellent. She finally drives straight as an arrow, can go 70mph on the highway no problem, and believe it or not gets about 18mpg. I expect the Jeep to last me a long time. Pretty much all critical parts have been replaced.

Here's a few shots of some of the parts/work I've put into it since the weather started to break:

Growing up my favorite show was Dragon Ball Z, to this day Goku is one of my favorite hero's. I just had to do it...

And this is from last weekend, got myself the QRC Rear Tube Bumper with Oversized Tire Carrier that Quadratec personally offers. It's a great design and wasn't a bad price, also came with a 3 year warranty. I also got myself a 33" Mickey Thompson Spare that I found for a good price brand new.

Unread 06-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

PRESENT

Here's a shot of the front end finally completed after several cuts and bruises

Under hood shot...very clean

I will be installing this tomorrow

Unread 06-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well I seem to be caught up, you can now post!
Unread 06-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Build is looking good, glad to see another Michigander

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/what-did-you-do-your-xj-mj-tj-zj-wj-wk-lj-jk-thread-1289204/"][B]Michigan BS Thread[/B][/URL]
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #11
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! It's been a lot of work but it's been a exciting and good learning experience. Good to see another yourself

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
Unread 06-30-2014, 05:54 AM   #12
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here's picture's from this past Saturday morning. I installed the Poison Spyder Hood Louver on the Jeep, I think it turned out pretty good! Installation was fairly simple since Poison Spyder sends you a template that you just place over your hood, mark the holes, connect the lines, and cut. Most difficult part was using an angle grinder but even that was a piece of cake, and it was my first time ever picking one up

Removed the hood, no problems here:

Hole's drilled with a 1" Hole Saw and connected with a Sharpie Marker:

Cut the lines I drew with the Angle Grinder, had to put gloves and pants on cause my hands and legs were getting burned from the sparks:

photo 1403973149158_zpsbd791b6e.jpg

Installed the Louver, this part took a little bit of time due to all the bolts but was still an easy process:

Installed on the Jeep:

Under the hood with the Louver installed:

The job took about 2 hrs total by myself, wasn't all that much to it. Even though I've only had it on for a few days I've already had the chance to test it. I have a temperature senor under the hood to monitor under hood temps. Before the louver was on, on avg the temp would sit at about 160-170 idle. Now that the louver is on, it sits at about 100 idle, HUGE DIFFERENCE. It also down poured here yesterday and when the storm was through I looked under the hood and the compartment was still dry.

Note: I also have a cold air intake and it may sound crazy but it feels like I have a bit more pick up now. I think this may be because the hot air isn't trapped under the hood now so the intake is actually sucking in "Cold" air now instead of "Hot" air which makes a difference.

Unread 07-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got this in the mail yesterday all the way from China off of Amazon. An OBDII scanner, all you do is plug it into your OBD port and use the Torque app on your phone to get all kinds of information from your PCM. Also handly in reading CEL codes and erasing them.

Unread 07-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Pic of the Jeep last night at a Jeep gathering:

Another SWEET TJ...

Unread 07-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #15
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
Got this in the mail yesterday all the way from China off of Amazon. An OBDII scanner, all you do is plug it into your OBD port and use the Torque app on your phone to get all kinds of information from your PCM. Also handly in reading CEL codes and erasing them.

I use it, it's pretty cool to check all the live data with the stroker.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/what-did-you-do-your-xj-mj-tj-zj-wj-wk-lj-jk-thread-1289204/"][B]Michigan BS Thread[/B][/URL]
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.