Stroked Grocery Getter - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Stroked Grocery Getter

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 03-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #31
Ratm
2004 WJ 

Drop brackets are a pain in the *** lol

Unread 03-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #32
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

With those shatty resolution instructions they included. If I had just looke it up in advance we'd be fine. Thanks agin for your help man

May 2014 COTM
robswampthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #33
Ratm
2004 WJ 

I wanna see this beast done plus payback will happen when I get my stuff lol
Unread 03-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #34
MagicNelson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Love how clean your work is! Subscribed!
MagicNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #35
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Teaser picture ill upload all the current pictures i have until i finish it. But so far here it is.

May 2014 COTM
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #36
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wanted to add that i've gotten a premium membership now, you guys give me enough help, hopefully now that i have a little red man ill get even more info and a cool sticker lol. Happy sunday guys

May 2014 COTM
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #37
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So Saturday was a win/lose. We didnt finish, but we did learn alot! and now im thinking that the x series lift with 2 people that have never done it before drop brackets, and brakes and driveline change. We got done what we could in the 7 hours the shop was open. With a pizza break. So first i want to say, Rough country should have included new hardware for the leaf springs imho. Also the self taping hardware for the drop brackets seems.... solid, but not as solid as i would have liked. make sure you use the right size drill bit because you only get one shot at it. and use cutting oil or that drill bit is going to heat up FAST, and those metal shavings are hot as hell. so wear eye and hand protection.

So what did we get accomplished?

we got the front drivers side done. Spring,shock,control arms, and drop bracket. Passanger side uca bolt is rounded off. so im going to end up cutting that one Tuesday when the shop opens again and i can get to my jeep. Ill have to figure out a solid replacement piece of hardware.

And we got the rear passenger side Leaf spring in. With the help of my wife and her epic precision skills. :x
After that the shop let us know it was time to clean up.

Another issue people might run into with this kit, The factory leaf spring retaining plates have a hole in the middle for the centering pin on the springs. The rough country ones were a little to big to fit into it. So i tried using a drill press to open the whole a little. But those plates are tough, and the 80 year old drill press didnt have enough power to get through it. So we just used an impact wrench to tighten the ubolts down and that forced the centering pin nut through the center plate. No worries it seems plenty strong and doesnt seem to have affected the plate.

Also it seems it would have been much easier to hook up the front part of the leaf spring first, then shackle. but someone reccomended to me to do shackle first. Ill try it the other way on the drivers side.

Also the rough country control arms and drop brackets seem perfectly designed for eachother, It looks great and the positioning is wonderful on the front end.

However the bushings in the joint you put together yourself do seem a little.... Cheap. if you will.

anyway, enough of me rambling. Time for pictures!!!!!!

picture is a little dark, but you can see the new spring without a load on it is massive. Depending on how much it compresses i may get alot more lift than i thought i would

But, it looks awesome, the shocks seems decent, i dont think they will be a limiting factor for flex. They are at full extension in the picture.

Got my retreads mounted on the icons since i knew i wasnt driving it home that day. Couldn't be happier with the look.

looks how bad the back end sagged with all my lift kit and stuff in the back and 4 tires on top

Now ill go get pictures of everyone involved in helping me ruin my jeep yesterday.

May 2014 COTM
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
jesterxj
2002 WJ 

Very nice work so far
jesterxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #39
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicNelson View Post
Love how clean your work is! Subscribed!
Thank you sir,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterxj View Post
Very nice work so far
And you sir, thank you aswell

May 2014 COTM
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #40
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well. The lift took longer than expected. I didn't get anywhere near as much time as I thought I would. 6 hours Saturday. Then the next two days the garage I was doing my work in was closed. So first thing Tuesday. I was stoping by on my lunch breaks to do an hour a day. Before I do all my post let me say this. If you are someone who did a lift by yourself. Or without air tools. Major major props! And lastly. I'd like to say piss on this upper control arm bolt . Life ruining hardware . More to come tommorow

May 2014 COTM
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #41
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Guess what is finally in my driveway!!!!

A cute lady! never thought id have my own!
And she was willing to stand next to my jeep after i finally drove it home from the Airforce base auto skills shop. However.... thanks to these wonderful little things...

I had to drive it the 2 miles without rear shocks. Also i had my front swaybar dq'd since my quick discos from rough country were at home and i needed to get it home. holy moly does this thing feel loose...

So two issues. One, i cannot get the factory bolts that hold the sway bar links to the axle out.... for the life of me. rough country instructions say a hammer.... but... im going to disagree. and it wont unthread out of the axle attachement thing. any suggestions? also... The shock bolts broken inside. i read a few how to's saying hit it with an air hammer. Didnt work, tried a punch and BFH. That didnt work. Im thinking ill dremel whats sticking out of the shanks off and drill the rest out of the holes. I already have new hardware.

So since i couldnt get the stock sway bar links off the axle. i didnt use the quick disco part. and just used the new sway bar links from rough country and bolted them down. The instructions for it sucked. And i took it for a ride around the block. Keep in mind i have not had it aligned yet. but it feels sooooooooooooooooooo loose even with the links connected that i fear for myself to drive it over 25 mph...

On top of that. one of my treadwrights is leaking. called them up, the same day they shipped out another one and are letting me keep that bad one. of course i have to show them the leaks and whatnot. but if i had plugged it myself i would have voided the warranty. so i made my claim first. they are sending me a new tire. and now i have a full size spare for free SO Customer service of the year defanitly goes to treadwright. They gave me a direct number to contact them at. No bS of calling and connecting through a series of touch tones...

So in conclusion, if anyone thinks the super unstable feeling is just because its not aligned, or my shocks arnt in the back, It would make me feel way better. Because right now i feel like its my fault and maybe i screwed something up on the lift, or control arm drop brackets.

thanks in advance guys, Keith

May 2014 COTM
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #42
Ratm
2004 WJ 

Don't think your control arms would make it feel loose. I would say the rear shocks would be the problem as well as no rear sway bar lol... Just my 2 cents but what do I know im just cheap labor
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #43
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I'm sure the sway bar out doesn't help. But I'm thinking once the shocks are on it will be fine without the bar.

May 2014 COTM
Unread 03-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #44
Crispynuggets
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Really like your build!
Your sway bars won't fix a sloppy ride. Could be the alignment, or your bigger tires are unmasking some worn components. Double check everything and get it aligned.
Can't wait to see more!

Edit: to get the factory sway bar bolt out of the axle you might need a press, as they're pressed in. I've used a small 2-jaw puller and they work great. Hope i could be of some help.
Crispynuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #45
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispynuggets View Post
Really like your build!
Your sway bars won't fix a sloppy ride. Could be the alignment, or your bigger tires are unmasking some worn components. Double check everything and get it aligned.
Can't wait to see more!

Edit: to get the factory sway bar bolt out of the axle you might need a press, as they're pressed in. I've used a small 2-jaw puller and they work great. Hope i could be of some help.
That is a very plausible option aswell. Thank you for the bolt idea. I'll be all over it tommorow and I will update with more pictures. In advance though. Thank you for the input. I will be changing my entire front end brake setup tommorow and double checking all the bolts for tightness.

May 2014 COTM

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.