Stroked Grocery Getter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Stroked Grocery Getter

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Stroked Grocery Getter

Well, after about 1.5 years Of crawling this website and 3 different xj's its time to start a build thread for my latest and greatest

Let me start by Thanking everyone on this forum for support, Knowledge, Idea's, Inspiration, and laughs.

Update: 1/10/2014

What has been done

-Engine Swapped with custom built 4.7 Stroker
-Swapped 0331 head for Clearwater Head (new not refurb)
-Regear to 4.56 ratio
-Tnt Customs Long arm (y link)
-Changed ride height
-Shackle relocation
-Tnt Customs Adventure Sliders
-Aussie Locker Rear
-Detroit Up front
-Dirtbound Offroad extreme Winch bumper
-JCR Rear bumper/tire carrier
-Raceline RT81 Beadlocks
-XRC8 Winch
-notch customs fender flares
-fenders cut fold, relocated rear inner fenders
-pinch seam cut/fold (front inner fender)
-Upgraded to 32's Then 35's
-Notch Customs Fender Flares (including write up)
-Spectre Cowl intake
-Dirtbound Cargo Rack
-Poison Spyder Tie rod/Drag link
-Iron Rock Offroad Track bar/mount
-Iron rock offroad SyE Hack and tap with refurbed rear drive shaft
-Extended Brake lines
-Rampage Head light housings
-E auto works headlight harness upgrade

Need to do still:
x -Jcr Rear bumper Tire carrier install (done)
-Transmission Cooler
-transmission cooler temp guage
-relocate inner fender walls
x-trim pinch seam at rear of front fender (done)
-fix all broken bolts on notch flares
-artec inner c gussets

Plans down the road:

-Enter and race/participate in Ecors/orv competitions against appropriately classed vehicles
-Sell the limited interior off and get some corbeau seats?
-exo or internal cage possibly, but i like the exo idea more.
-3/4 ton axles. probably a d44 front d60 rear swap or just go big with one tons 60 front 14b rear
-iron man 4x4 rear adjustable shackles to replace my stock shackles with relocation brackets. and fix my sagging right rear end on these terrible rough country springs
-replace my 4.5" springs & spacer with a real 5.5" spring from a quality company.
-rear quarter panel armor

Here's an updated picture of it to save you the 17 pages of crap.

Here's what im working with.

2000 Limited 119,000, aw4, 242, 8.25" and a lp 30 up front. stock 3.55 gears and saggy leaves.

As of this morning i spent a decent bit on goodies (thank you uncle sam)

- Rough country 4.5" x series
- Rough country 1.5" wheel spacers So i can keep the icons.
- Iron Rock Offroad HnT sye/ refurbed Drive shaft
- TreadWright 265/75/R16's Guard dog Formerly Bfg M/t's
- Rampage h4 Headlight Conversion
- Eautoworks Upgraded/heavy duty headlight harness stock# PUT230004HW

Hoping everything is here by next weekend so me and my buddy can bust our knuckles and eat wings.

But before hand i went out with my coworker and his yota.
I kept up Pretty well until it came to a sloppy Hill at about 30% grade.

He's sitting on about 6" of lift and 33x11.50

May 2014 COTM
robswampthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would like to take a moment to share my history with xj's

My first. The one that got the itch started!

This was a 99 sport 2 door 2wd With 180,000 miles.
I owned it for about 8 months and after a Surf trip to the obx in nc and getting stuck in sand driveways i was done with 2wd.

I sold it for 700$ more than i bought it for. and bought this for 2500 as is

91 Laredo. Locked front and rear with detroits. 4.88 gears. Armored front to back, sliders. and 33x12.50 Sitting on a 6.5" short arm. The odometer was sitting at around 278,000. It was a monster. But 10 mpg. and so many electrical issue's That i started going crazy! Then someone shows up and offer's me $$ for it on the spot. Sure enough i miss it. but i let it go. My wife wasn't a big fan either when it was our only vehicle for about 2 months.

Which leaves me where i am now. Building my own. Trying to learn from mine and everyone elses mistakes/regrets. I miss that heep. but i see it now and again and know its in good hands.

May 2014 COTM
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The first few items to Take care of On the new addition to the family were maintance issues. First off. my coolant WAS disgusting Rusty and had all sorts of sediment in it. surely the p/o used hose water in exchange for coolant.

So i installed a 3core csf, All new hoses. Flushed the system nice and good, New thermostat. And it stays at a cool 205 or cooler now. But I have more recently noticed A Mystery loss of coolant. My bets are That Ive got a 0331 winner. Ill find out in 2 weeks when i get back from a trip and tear the head off and get it pressure tested.

Plenty Of pics to come tomorrow. Looking Forward to Sharing the Experience With everyone!

May 2014 COTM
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, The first of All my ordered goodies Came in today! I promise when i do the install ill show the new wiring harness and the old compared to new with side shots.

Teaser

May 2014 COTM
Unread 02-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
bamstar6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm excited about this build. It's awesome to see your jeep transform! I have the RC 4.5 X kit as well. You got a super clean Jeep by the way!
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

First Issues i wanted to address were the Deteriorating Charging system Cables after they left me hanging When my wife and i went surfing a few weeks ago.

So I made a trip down to west Marine and bought some 4 guage Wire and fittings to craft my own. I used jeephammr's Write up for referance And sealed them off with what i had availible. Not quite as pretty but it worked perfect none the less, Going on 6 months now no issues.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ma...rectly-691172/

I also used a coating of melted petroleum jelly and baking soda on the open copper wire before inserting them in the Terminals to help prevent corrosion.

While i was at it i picked up a duracell battery @ samsclub for 80 bucks. Its got the glasspack base like most expensive batteries. And a 5 year warranty so why not.

After That i Decide to Get it dirty! Dont Underestimate A stock jeep. however, some clearence was to be desired. My wife and i spent 3 hours on christmas day with the rear diff Sunk into the mount between some ruts i slid into.

May 2014 COTM
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

After Coming home I Did my Usual Inspection/Cleaning And i stumble upon this.

I guess a Bunch Of wonderful Sediment left behind from the previous Owner had worked its way loose when i put it through its rpm range in 4wd. But the motor had been creeping suspiciously close to 210 when driving around, and inching its way between 210 and 220 with a/c on in traffic. (its a must in Charleston) So I Figured id Start with main vain.

So i Ordered a CSF 3 Core All Aluminum Radiator... Which btw for 200 dollars should come with a radiator cap. If its made for a jeep Id think the pressure rating is the same across the board. But maybe it fits Other vehicles aswell.

(update the ccf rad leaked within 2 weeks, i had it warrantied twice before i raged and went back to a stock unit and just wired a toggle to the aux fan. stays below 205 with a/c off and now i can toggle my fan offroad and stay right at 195 and feel nice and safe while crawling slow)

Out with the old, In with the new

Along with the new Rad, I flushed(and back flushed) The heater core. Heat works now! Replaced the heatercore hoses, Upper and lower rad hoses, All clamps, Fan flutch, Fan shroud because i broke it during removal (12 year old brittle plastic), And the Coolant bottle because it was stained disgusting brown.

May 2014 COTM
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So After A few weeks of replacing my almost entire Cooling system, Im Still loosing coolant. DUN DUN DUN!!!!!
I do see a little gloss on the side of the block near the head gasket. But Also i smell coolant when the heat is on. But no damp carpet... So I think In a week or so im going to pull the head and get it pressure tested since i have a 0331. Until then im Staying off the trails. And only driving it to work and back. about 3.2 miles round trip per day. Barely enough to get up to operating temp. So while im crusing around I figured i could use Some Bump in my system.

With the help of some of my airforce commrades, I pieced together An amp and subwoofer in a sealed box for a total of 15 dollars

My buddy with a tj Had a 12" rockford in his mustang before he sold it With a 250x1 kenwood amp. He was willing to part with them For a future assist on his jeep, which i would have done anyway. Any opportunity to hack on other peoples stuff And bull**** sounds like a good day to me..
Then another coworkers Audio store was Overstocked on wiring kits. so he hooked me up with an older schoche 8 guage with an inline fuse.

Out comes the interior (a good opportunity to Clean the carpets anyway.

I Ran The Positive wire From the battery, Along the firewall right infront of the Cowling/wipermotorers. Through the rubber grommet in the firewall on the drivers side. Up under the dash to the center console where i routed it under the center console through the carpet to the Amp which is under the Fwd Passenger Seat. The fuse is about 8" from the battery because the closer the better. And I used a wire brush to scrape the paint under the back right seat post hole. Which is where i ran the ground too. Because the shorter the ground the better. I hooked all this up to a pioneer headunit, And threw some kicker 5.25" speakers in the roof and doors. (buy one set get one free on the crutch) Total stereo investment now sits at 225 Dollars.

And it sounds Wonderful! For about a week -_- ... Then the 9 year old subwoofer starts to become intermittent. And after an hour with a multi meter and my electrician co worker. We traced it to the coil in the subwoofer. So rather than try and repair it. I used a 50$ best buy gift card i found in a bowling alley parking lot to Pick up a kicker 12" comp Sub At a day after christmas sale at best buy. And after the break in period i couldnt be happier with my now 65$ invested subwoofer/amp setup. Aside from loosing a little space. Its so easy to disconnect it takes me 12 seconds to get my trunk space back if i need it. Picks will come soon of it installed.

May 2014 COTM
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

In Other news my Retreads Showed up today! treadwright guard dogs (tires marked toyo open country) With bfg M/T tread pattern.

They look awesome! Cant wait to get them mounted after my lift finally comes in.

:update- Called rough country today, My order should have been here today since i ordered last saturday. But the front springs are out of stock until next week. So looks like this 3 day weekend will go to waste. On the other hand I did get my wife the help me run wires

And My tj friend and i convinced my other friend to trade his civic in on a jk. And it worked! Within a week he ordered a 2.5" kit and treadwrights. So we helped him install it over a few beers last week (they enjoyed the beverages. while i did the work. J/K we all got our hands dirty. :?

Hopefully My lift/driveshaft/hnt/Wheel spacers/and drop brackets. Will all get here by next weekend. Im Starting a Professional Military education class tommorow anyway so its probably best my first weekend is free so i can get ahead of schedule on some of the Assignments. bleck... Cheers everyone enjoy your presidents day!

May 2014 COTM
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamstar6 View Post
I'm excited about this build. It's awesome to see your jeep transform! I have the RC 4.5 X kit as well. You got a super clean Jeep by the way!
Thank you for your interest and compliment. Im looking forward to the kit, My first build with Rough country products. Do you have the drop brackets aswell? And how do you like the n 2.2 shocks?

May 2014 COTM
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
bamstar6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thank you for your interest and compliment. Im looking forward to the kit, My first build with Rough country products. Do you have the drop brackets aswell? And how do you like the n 2.2 shocks?
No I don't have the drop brackets unfortunately. My plan was to order them with my lift kit but I ran outta money. I hope to get them soon. But overall the ride ain't bad. Just a wee bit stiff on bumps but I can live with it. As for the shocks they feel fine to me, i mean I don't really have much to compare them to, cause before it was just the stock ones that were 11 years old and when I put the lift on, the overall ride changed.
bamstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Clean XJ...My brother runs those same tires and btw they are the same tread as the Goodyear Wrangler MTR not the BFG MT. Can't wait to see more!
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum5.9 View Post
Clean XJ...My brother runs those same tires and btw they are the same tread as the Goodyear Wrangler MTR not the BFG MT. Can't wait to see more!
Yeah thats what i meant, i Just typed hoodrich because my friend got some treadrights and his were hoodrich carcass's. I would love to start pics of the lift install but my rough country lift was suppose to be here 3 days ago since i ordered it a week ago today and was told 2 days. No email, No call nothing. I call them and they're like "oh ummm. Oh yeah, your springs are out of stock. we will (try) and get it out next week. I Wish that worked with my supervisors in the military. I'll (try) and get that medal to you by this afternoon.

May 2014 COTM
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #14
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ready to see the tires, same ones im going with soon. check out my build thread for your opposite (clean black xj lol)
Unread 02-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt62485 View Post
ready to see the tires, same ones im going with soon. check out my build thread for your opposite (clean black xj lol)

Nice build man , Im ready to see the tires too! damnit fed ex! bring me my goods.

In other news He did bring my New refurbed Driveshaft And HnT Sye Today though, Courtesy of Iron Rock offroad.

May 2014 COTM

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.