STRATTON's 02 TJ build, daily driver/weekend warrior - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > STRATTON's 02 TJ build, daily driver/weekend warrior

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There's no point to buy junk products for a jeep just because you plan to sell it down the road. If I were you I would rock the jeep stock for a while, they are plenty capable out of the box!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 10-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
There's no point to buy junk products for a jeep just because you plan to sell it down the road. If I were you I would rock the jeep stock for a while, they are plenty capable out of the box!

what exactly are you refering to as junk parts ?

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON

what exactly are you refering to as junk parts ?

stratton.
3" body lift and any frame mounted slider.

Unread 10-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #19
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
3" body lift and any frame mounted slider.

Then please recommend something similar in price with similar looks ?

Stratton.
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not to mention jeep sold TJs with tub mount rocker armor from the factory.

You can keep asking every which different way- there is no such thing as a non tub mounted rocker that is worth the material they are made from let alone the price.

3" BL- undo that ASAP and get a decent suspension lift with a 1" body lift. There are many reasonably priced suspensions that can get you a moderate lift that will help your offroad performance and get your frame further from the ground. Doing a tummy tuck with a three inch body lift is like giving a butt ugly fat woman breast implants.
SideshowBob024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON

Then please recommend something similar in price with similar looks ?

Stratton.
Check out A to Z fabrication. There sliders are highly recommended here, they go from wheel well to wheel well and up to the door. About the cheapest quality slider out there I believe.

Made in the USA and very well built sliders!
http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...cat=249&page=1

Unread 11-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #22
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow those are very inexpensive. AtoZ makes great stuff.
SideshowBob024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Check out A to Z fabrication. There sliders are highly recommended here, they go from wheel well to wheel well and up to the door. About the cheapest quality slider out there I believe.

Made in the USA and very well built sliders!
http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...cat=249&page=1

those are nice and cheap. maybe i should just bite the bullet and drill into the tub ? i understand completely what you guys are saying about the smitty sliders possible bending and wacking into the tub. its just that at this point in my wheeling career lol im hesitant to drill into the body, and the smittys will provide that lil extra protection.

back to the body lift.

currently, im not in a position to purchase a suspension lift.

give me your opinions on fixing this issue.

i installed a full 3inch body lift from quadratec including the gas fill spacer, the lil brackets underneath near the linkage or shifter (cant recall its been a while (maybe it was a lil silver box with holes in it that was a steering shaft extender ?)). i could go around and cut down each of the body blocks in half making them 1.5 inches. would i have to remove anything else that i installed besides shorting up the gas fill spacer ?

once that is done, i could add a 2" budget boost to the springs ? is this a better option. would i have to add or change anything or just simply slap in the 2 inch suspension blocks ? also would the rustys 2" budget boost be good ? http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...boost-kit.html

what do you guys think ?

also heres a pic of my bumper wich came today.

it fit fine, looks well made and i like the way it looks. my only gripe is that its held on buy one torx bolt up top and one below, so top and bottom on each frame rail. i would have liked a oemish set up with two up top one on bottom per rail. but im sure it wont be an issue.
Unread 11-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob024
Wow those are very inexpensive. AtoZ makes great stuff.
Yeah AtoZ makes great stuff.

Ok so about the sliders. Ask yourself this, would I rather drill 4 holes in my FRAME per side which could cause weakness and rust and possibly cause more damage to my tub then with out them or would I rather drill maybe 6 holes per side in my tub and not have to ever worry about any damage ever again?

Ok now body lift/suspension lift:
Yes, a budget boost is a good option and there is nothing wrong with them, I've seen people wheel plenty hard with them. You could cut that body lift down to 1" and get a 2" budget boost and you will have plenty of clearance for your 33's. you may need longer shocks with the boost depending if the kit comes with them or not.

Unread 11-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thank you for hearing me out and answering my question.

thatll be my next move then, ill look into a bb kit with shocks, what kind of shocks should i be looking at/price wise. agian ive only done one real wheeling event, but do plan to get some more in as soon as i can. so something that will first be great on the road, and second good on the trails, but with in reason price wise.

thanks agian.

stratton.
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ordered my rear bumper earlier today.

gonna give her a tune up this weekend, ill check the plugs, cap n rotor etc etc, oil and filter and swap in a newer battery cause the one i have isnt holding a charge for very long, nor charging up compeletly.

still up in the air about the rocker guards/sliders, ill give it more thought when the time comes.

winter is nearly upon us so the goal is to keep her running good, she runs perfect, just gonna go over a few things to ensure shell breeze threw the winter. possibly pick up a few interior pieces, maybe a full sized 33 inch spare tire and matching rim and a extension bracket for the tire carrerier in the back.

stratton.
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #27
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Like mentioned before, if you can't afford a decent lift, just go with a 2" BB and 1" BL. Rancho, Fox, and Bilstein are reliable names in the shock market. A to Z has some quality products and are worth the price. Another recommendation would be Rokmen, I may go with them if I don't make my own. Avoid Rusty's built anything. Buy quality parts the first time. My 2" BDS lift has been treating me well with a decent ride and an awesome warranty. Around $400 for shocks and springs. You won't find many bad reviews if any at all on BDS. Can't say the same for 3" BL, Rusty's products or Smittybilt rockers.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #28
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thanks, i was considering a 'zone' BB lift

read some good reviews from them on here.

bb some time in the early early spring. getting cold here fast, school and work also sucking up the majority of my time.

stratton.
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #29
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Zone has decent stuff, just avoid their control arms. Any BB you find is going to be the same except shocks. Thats the only important part.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #30
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Zone has decent stuff, just avoid their control arms. Any BB you find is going to be the same except shocks. Thats the only important part.
exactly, i was even thinking quadratec blocks and splurging on some high end shocks. id like to have something thats has really nice on road manners. does the one you recommend have what im looking for ?

stratton.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.