Stax's 98 TJ build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Stax's 98 TJ build

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #91
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well apparently the Cliffs no longer opens on Mondays. That does complicate a Monday trip in November. :P After work today I did have a little fun though, despite the discovery. Me and a buddy took the jeep and his truck out and checked the accuracy of our speedometers. Shockingly, mine was dead on. Of all the mods and laziness that the previous owner did to my jeep, I'm really shocked he took the time to make sure the speedo was accurate, but hey! One less thing for me to worry about. After we were done with that, I pulled my disconnects and did a little flexing at a local business. I was pretty happy. The tiniest bit of rubbing on the one side (which I actually attribute to the spring droop I haven't addressed) and a decent amount of flex from the driver side. Didn't flex both sides...the ramp over at Cain isn't conducive to flexing both sides. I didn't have my camera with me, which was a shame, but Wednesday is a jeep day, so I'll make sure I start taking some picture. Then I'll post up.

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #92
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alrite, I'm really slacking off on updating this thread. :P Buuuuut, I think I have a bunch of pics ready for posting, just need to upload them. Tomorrow morning I'm going to post a few updates. Bunch of little stuff done. Just wish I had more $$ to be able to make some of the big progressions I want. Oh well, all in due time.

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #93
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lots been done in the past few weeks, I'll break this into multiple posts depending on the project.

First! A little cosmetic loving got taken care of. I finally got around working on the rear flairs. Well I started out trying to remove them...but when the first bolt I tried to losen, and observed the threaded rivet just spinning in the body, I said screw it. Soooo, I decided to do all the work attached to the jeep still. I cleaned the flairs with Dial dish soap to get 'em nice clean, and free of any oils or grease.
Then taped up the body.

And finished off!

I also decided to pull my head light bezels.

I roughed them up, and sprayed them with Krylon gloss black.

It required a little messing around, and I had to redo the work a few times. I'm still new to this painting concept and just how much roughing needs to be done. Here's the final product.

My before picture.

Final result.

I also had my buddy Drew help me out with my wiring. Turns out a had a bad relay on one light, and the rest...well, turns out they got filled with muddy water and the contacts were no longer....contacting. An hour of scraping out crap, a new relay, a little dielectric grease, and everything works like a charm.

I like it, I like it alot. Here's to the victories.

Unread 11-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #94
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I also finally got around to starting my tune up. I got my Autolight AP985 single pole platinum plugs at Farm and Fleet. Plus stopped at Lee's Auto Parts and picked up a new distributor cap, rotor and wires.

The install went pretty smooth. I started with swapping the new wires into place. Not hard, just do one wire at a time so you don't get lost. Then I transferred the wires over to the new cap, again, one wire at a time, adding a little dielectric grease into each connector. I then disconnected the old cap, pulled the old rotor, and replaced it with the new. That's about as easy as it gets, as there's a slot on it preventing me from screwing that up. I used some RTV gasket maker to seal up all the openings in the cap, and replaced it on the distributor. Finally waterproofed that peripheral. I then yanked my old plugs and installed the new ones, again, going one wire at a time, with a little dielectric grease in each terminal. Turned the key, and voila, a running jeep! Definitely running better than before. After that a quick oil change.

I got the fluids to change in my transmission and transfer case, but that'll be a different day me thinks. Oh, well, another project down, God only knows how many to go, but what a ride.

Unread 11-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #95
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So yeah...I've been griping bout wanting rock sliders for a while now, so today I actually started poking around. Looks to me like it's going to be fairly expensive, but I really like the Poison Spyder Ricochet Sliders. Anyone ever seen 'em in person? I think I'm going to start saving my penny's and see if I can pick 'em up sometime in the relatively near future. Lol, it's good to have goals.

Unread 11-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #96
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Found some reallllly cheap 15x7 aluminum wheels with 5 inches of backspacing on Craigslist today...yeah the craigslist app is AWESOME, lol. But yeah, I'm going to take a look at 'em on Tuesday, and hopefully be coming home with new wheels. Looks like they're in good shape with a crappy paint job, so a little TLC and I should be good to go for a while.

Unread 11-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #97
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got around to the rest of my fluid changes. Started out with my transmission fluid. Used 10w30 Castrol synthetic, per the recommendations on here. I didn't fill from the shifter like some, ended up just using a piece of rubber tubing. It's a little ghetto, but it works like a charm.

Draining was surprisingly easy. Just used a piece of aluminum foil as a funnel. I did notice a milkyness to the oil, I'm guessing I got water in the trans after one of the last wheeling sessions. Good thing I finally changed it.

After that I moved to the transfer case. I successfully managed to flood my skid plate, and dump a huge puddle of oil on the garage floor. Apparently I didn't place the aluminum foil properly. Oh well. Once it was drained, I filled her back up, using the same system. Sealed it all up and took it for a quick lap around the block. Everything seems to be running good. Then just a little kitty litter for cleanup of the spill and I'm good to go! Now, just to get the new wheels tonight.

Unread 11-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #98
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alrite picked up my new wheels. Got them from a guy in a shady truck repair yard at 7 at night last night. The guy was pure hillbilly. I felt like I just walked into Deliverance and he was going to start playing the banjo, but it ended up being a quick transaction and I got to bring home these little treasures.

I also added a new piece of emergency equipment. A good quality survival knife stowed away in the cab in case of an accident/rollover/ and seat belt entrapment. Sooo I got a Bear Grylls ultimate survival knife. It's pretty nifty, even comes with a flint and striker slot on the back of the knife blade.

Back to more important things. Seeing as i haven't spent a lot of time painting, I decided to take the wheels slowly with a little trial and error. Soooo, I only started with one wheel. The results will determine how I handle the other 3. So I started out in my garage with a bottle of windex and an old t-shirt. I cleaned it up as good as I could and wiped it down again. I then sanded all the to be painted surfaces with 120 grit sandpaper. I then went over the whole wheel again with acetone.

I laid out some newspaper on the garage floor and lade out the wheel, starting on the back side, and painting the front last. I sprayed it first with Krylon gray primer. Here's out it turned out.

Once that dried, I again started with the back and then followed with the front. I used Krylon black gloss paint. Used most of a can for the wheel, but I think it turned out pretty well.

I think it came out really well. Here's a side by side comparison.

The CL add originally said there was 5 1/2" of backspacing...which was inaccurate. There isn't any actually. The guy didn't know what backspacing was, lol. But that's ok. I'm going to lose a little bit of overall width witch sucks, at least until I can get wheel spacers. Now that I've move up to a 7" wide wheel, I'm willing to shrink the wheel width a bit.

Any comments on the wheels compared to the existing? Opinions are welcome!

Unread 11-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #99
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

i like these wheels a ton more than what you have on there but im still not fond of wagoner wheels on a tj buts thats my own personal taste, but you did an excellent job bringing that old wheel back to life. i probably would have just bought some simple cragar soft 8's lol. your putting a lot of time into this jeep so too me its exciting to follow.

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #100
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Yeah, I actually am not super fond of the wheels either...but $50.00 vs. a set of new Cragars.....it was an easy choice. I figure next time I buy wheels, I'm going to save up my pennies and REALLY get what I want, which wis probably going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 figures...so the cheapos with a fresh paint job was the way to go for now, lol. I also definately have a bad pully somewhere in the engine bay... expect a new wright up soon...hopefully tonight.

Unread 11-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #101
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I need an opinion here. Seeing as my doors are already off colored, and I've been considering painting the jeep black anyways....how do you think it would look if I painted just my doors black. I saw another jeep with it on here somewhere...and it really didn't look half bad. Just kinda curious on what people think about it. Hmm... if I do it, it'll be soon, before it gets to cold/snows to much for the MR2.

Unread 11-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #102
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, plan for the week.
- fix my pulley issue
- finish cleaning up/painting my new wheels
- finish installing my rear bumper
- install my shiny new JC Whitney tow hooks
- mount my tires on my new wheels
- go to harbor freight and get a U-joint press and maybe spring compressor
bonus projects
- paint the bottom 3" of my body under the doors Krylon gloss black

I'm really looking forward to having black rims and getting rid of those God awful gray looking things.

Unread 11-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #103
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, time for some updates. Didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but I was busy. For starters...my pulley squeal, or whatever it was, went away all on its own. I took it to a mechanic and they couldn't find it at all. Put an additional 200 miles on it, and I haven't heard the sound since. Go figure. I also did not get to my bumper yet, damn shame, but soon enough. Maybe Tuesday morning, since I'll have some time before my union meeting. I also didn't get around to painting the body of the jeep. Again, just ran out of time and didn't get a chance to pull the fender flairs that are in the way.

Now for the successes. I got the new wheels finished up. Brought them to Walmart to mount the tires. The duesch bag tech said it was "unsafe" to mount a 10 1/2" wide tire on a 7 1/2" wheel. I told him it was common practice in off-roading to put a big tire on a smaller rim. The schmuk said there was a liability problem and he couldn't do it. He didn't respond to the fact that they put my 10 1/2" A/T spare tire on my 7 1/2" stock rim without issue, but oh well. Called up Lovell's, dropped the car off, and a bit later picked it up. Got around to taking pictures tonight, my apologies for the darkness. I think it's a huge improvement. All comments are welcome. Here's how she sits as of today.

I miss having my tires extending beyond the fender flairs, I thought it gave it an extra level of aggression to the stance, but oh well. If there's a lot of rubbing I'll get wheel spaces.

Unread 11-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #104
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Saw it at work today, thought it looked good. The stance is different, but now you can go through tighter spots.

Oh, and I should slap you the next time I see you....."Called up Lovell's, dropped the car off,........" It's a JEEP!

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #105
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OMG!! What have I done!! As self punishment, I let the jeep run over my foot when it rolled out of the garage on the way to work this morning. I beg the forgiveness of the jeep gods. What can I say, I was half asleep last night.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.