Stax's 98 TJ build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Stax's 98 TJ build

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #76
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstax33 View Post
I also cleaned everything up and organized the back for tomorrow's wheeling session at the cliffs. Hope the weather holds and I still get to go.
The Cliffs..... You need a change of scenery.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #77
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
The Cliffs..... You need a change of scenery.
Lol, when I said I hope the weather holds together....I also meant my jeep. Staying close to home for a while longer (plus I can't afford the trip at the moment :P). Besides, I LIKE the cliffs, lol.

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #78
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lol, when I said I hope the weather holds together....I also meant my jeep. Staying close to home for a while longer (plus I can't afford the trip at the moment :P). Besides, I LIKE the cliffs, lol.
The Badlands is just a few hundred dollars and 7 hours on the road, I'm really looking forward to the drive... Should be fun though.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 09-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #79
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I gave the top to Evan tonight. I'm texting jeff the number now, and he'll have your top whenever he sees you next. Thanks for taking it off my hands.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #80
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
I gave the top to Evan tonight. I'm texting jeff the number now, and he'll have your top whenever he sees you next. Thanks for taking it off my hands.
I'm not as cheap as UPS, so the delivery charge is going to be a bit of a shock to him.

Might be cheaper to go to the Badlands.

Unread 09-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #81
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lol, I pay in pizza and beer normally.... or good BBQ. Thanks all!!

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
Unread 09-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #82
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't get the top, couldn't arrange for anyone else to get it either.

Unread 09-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #83
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I heard. That's ok. My old man volunteered to road trip down with me one of these days. Might have to take him up on it.

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #84
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, time for an update. I did a little bit of work the past week or two. I remounted my fog lights on my front bumper.

I started out with a small hole to get the mounting started.

Then widened it out.

And the final look of the front end.

I started going through the wiring, including pulling off the cowling. It's a bigger nightmare than I thought. I can't find a blown fuse anywhere. I'm guessing my relays might be bad, but that still begs the question, what caused them to blow. The wiring that's in there is substandard at best, and it looks like the previous owner may have TRIED to tap into the wiring harness so the lights would turn on and off with the key, but I don't think he succeeded. I just looked under the dash, and some of the wiring was cut up from what appears to be a fog light switch. That'll be a fun project for a later day.

Oh, and on a fun note.

2 kayaks will fit on a tj when strapped to the sports cage.

Not gonna lie, I was a little concerned about this but, now that I know it'll work, I'm a pretty happy camper.

All right folks. I have SWAT school for the next week, so I won't be posting for a bit. Wish me luck folks!

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #85
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have SWAT school for the next week, so I won't be posting for a bit. Wish me luck folks!
That's a fun week. Let me know the next time you head to the Cliffs, I could use some wheeling a bit closer to home...

Unread 10-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #86
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alrite, I'm finally on my last day of my 11 day stretch of work/SWAT school/more work/and exhaustion. Seeing as tomorrow is my first day off I have a lovely little list of things to do. My jeep has been wandering and the steering wheel almost seems to lag when I turn the wheel. I think I'm going to check my caster angle tomorrow, see if that's an issue. I'm also going to double check that my alignment is still good. On top of that I think I'll finally pull off my skirts ( calm down boys), clean em up and spray em down with Krylon Satin black. After that I have a few days of shooting for work(I guess if work is going to jack with my days off, they can do it with bullets and gun fire), clean out the garage, then driving to Indiana Friday to pick up MY soft top, and then I can give back the loner that's on there now, and then I'm thinking a day of Kayaking Saturday. I WAS going to go to the cliffs, until i was recently advised they're having the Spartan run so the cliffs is closed Saturday. Crappy luck for me for the last Saturday I have off for a while. Oh well, hopefully I'll have the jeep purring by the end of the week, and won't have to worry about it this winter. After all, winter is usually my time to wrench on my spyder and I wouldn't want to interfere with that.

Unread 10-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #87
jeep1086

sweet kayak
jeep1086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #88
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, they're pretty awesome. I bought one and keep "obtaining" additional. I'm up to 3 now. To bad the only way to transport them is to strap em to the sports cage with the top off, lol. Oh well, it's the closest I can get to having a hard top atm.

Unread 10-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #89
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright folks, bout time I updated a little bit. Sorry, about the lack of updates. After my week of SWAT school, which I did nothing but eat and sleep, I STILL had to work another 3 days. Of that, I had 2 more training days, one with my department SWAT team, and the next our department shoot. That Friday (last friday? they've all melded together) I finally got down to Indi to pick up my new soft top. A nice gray top with tinted back windows. It's in great condition and looks awesome. I forgot to take pics of the installation, and come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure I have ANY pics of it at this point. None where it's really all that visible anyways. I'll snap a few overall pics soon. Anyway, I still haven't had a full weekend of since before SWAT school, so I haven't had much time to tinker.

I did get to mess with a few small things. I DID get the new top mounted up, and returned my loner. And I finally took of the front fender flairs to paint them!

Taking them off was a bit more of a chore than I expected. The little threaded rivets that hold the flair into place, yeah.....a lot of those held onto their bolts and just kept spinning. Required a little loving with a pair of locking pliers, but I got them all out. They're no all back in after the fact....but enough of them are in place to keep everything secure. Here's the fender with the freshly removed flair.

I cleaned the crap off the fender before I reattached anything. Anyways. I washed the flairs with dish washing soap, got them nice and clean, then let them air dry. After that, 4 or 5 coats of Krylon Fusion satin black spray paint, and they looked like new! Got them reattached, with a few bolts left over as I mentioned, and it looks great!

The front end looks mostly like a new jeep!At that point, however, I ran out of time as it got dark and cold, so I didn't get around to pulling the rear flairs. I wish I had a profile shot but it looks hilarious with the shiny new looking front flairs and the ugly stained and faded rears. Oh well, I'll snap some better pics soon.

Today I finally had a few minutes to look at the rears. I went to unbolt them, yeah....no go on that. Looks like all the threaded rivets are just spinning in the tub. I know how to get them out...My issue is how am I getting the liner reattached after. Sadly that is not a project for an hour or two right after work as its getting cold. Going to have to save that for next weekend. Or maybe it's time to consider getting with my buddy and fabbing up custom tube fenders for the rear. ahhhh to dream.

On other news. I've been really trying to diagnose this wandering thing. I've spent alot of extra time driving it around and I'm starting to think it's not actually wandering. I'm starting to thing it's just a little unstable at higher speeds. I don't know if that's because of the new shocks, the sagging front springs, the new end links the new tires, or what. I've had so many steering problems for so long now, I can't remember if it did this before. I'm going to have a jeep friend take a look at it and take a test drive soon to see what they think. It's a little disconcerting though. Also, I've developed a bit of a squeal from the engine compartment. I think it sounds like a belt, but it goes away once the engine warms up for a while. It is a new belt...I wonder if its just sorta....settling in and it needs to get adjusted again. Add it to the never ending list of things I need to look into.

Oh well. I'm hoping this coming weekend I'll be able to finish mounting my rear bumper, and get my wiring problems addressed. There's a pretty cool looking night run on Oct 29th at the cliffs from 2 to 9 pm that I'd like to go on, but I feel like I'm going to need some better lighting before I do that...plus I need to get the day off of work . After that I think me and a buddy from work (it's 214 Jeff, haven't gotten around to tellin ya yet. still working on confirming the date) are talking about going to the Cliff's again on the 7th of November. It's a monday, but we both work weekends, so not much choice. I'll have to take a day off work buuuuuuut, it'll probably be my last wheeling trip this year, so I don't mind to much. Especially seeing as i conveniently work all 4 days the Cliff's are open.

Oh well. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on the old girl a little bit soon, and get some fresh pictures taken.

Unread 10-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #90
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You might want to double check that Monday date before you drive down, sometimes they don't open on Mondays...even though their calendar says they are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.