Stax's 98 TJ build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Stax's 98 TJ build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #61
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Called a couple mechanics. Cost me over $1000.00 to fix the AC system. My local shop will charge me $350.00 to install the canceling pully ($42.00 at NAPA), or $40.00 to drain the AC and install the canceling pulley myself. I think I'll shop around to find someone to drain the AC, then install the pulley myself. When spring hits next year, I'll decide if I care enough to put A/C back in or not. IF so, it'll all ready be drained, I can buy my own pump, install it, and get it recharged. Need to get the old girl running again for the badlands next weekend!!!

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #62
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So here's an oddity. I parked my jeep Sunday after returning from the cliffs. No issues other than the AC/belt/endlink issues. Today I go out to my garage to find a flat on my front driver side tire. I fill it up, there's a leak from the bead, and it's big. There's no tears,cuts or punctures that I can observe, and the air is coming from the bead itself. Any ideas how this happened or how to fix it?

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #63
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dirt or mud between the rim and tire, perhaps. You need some 8" wide wheels.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #64
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alrite quick update. Sorry no pics, I can't for the LIFE of me find my camera. As soon as I do I'll snap a bunch and get then loaded up. My new Smittybilt bumpers came in the mail the other day. Front is a stinger XRC and the rear is their classic SRC rear bumper. Quality looks really good so far. Good clean welds. Came already bedlined. The rear looked just as good. My only issue was there were multiple order options. One option was to include D rings, and and option not to. It was an additional $60.00 for D-rings, which I foun for $20 shipped to my door on ebay. I chose not to go that route. I didn't realize that without the D-rings, you don't get the D-ring mounts. That sucks. Well I guess I'll continue using the tow hitch as my rear recovery point until I get some mounts and have them welded up. I'm sure it'll be a pain considering it's bed lined. My fault I suppose for not calling and asking about it, but also not the end of the world.

I also hobbled the Jeep to my local mechanic's shop to have them look at my tire and drain my A/C. $51.00 at Bill White's Car Hospital. Not a bad setup. They even disconnected the A/C lines from the compressor for me. Sweet deal! Also had the tire rim cleaned out and re-sealed. It's good to go again! While I was waiting for that to be done, I also through one of my old 31s on my spare rim and had that mounted up at Walmart. So I finally have a full sized spare, now I just need to get some thinner wheels like Jeffro pointed out, and I should be good to go.

So after cleaning up the rest of the house and yard yesterday, I felt ambitious and decided to tackle my front bumper, cus I really want a real recovery point up there. I start crawling around looking at exactly where all the mounts are. Yup, the fella didn't just add 2 brackets, nope, he welded the entire bumper into place. 2 1/2 hours with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel, took care of the welds. Then I started unbolting the winch plate as, that was pretty much holding the bumper on now. Some bolts were just impossibly to reach. One of the nuts that's welded onto the frame broke off inside. Only way to remove the bumper at that point was to cut off the bolt head. That's exactly what I ended up doing for 2 of them. That was a pain in the butt, and cutting off bolt heads that are under pressure...I've done it before, still scares the hell outta me. But it's done, the winch was disconnected, and the plate and bumper removed. I threw the new stinger into place, and it was an awful tight fit. But, it's in place at the moment, and it's definitely not moving. I'm going to get a few more things done around the house today, then see if I can finish getting the new bumper up and on.

Unread 09-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #65
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alrite, woke up nice and early to finish up the bumper...and success!! There were some fitment issues, but nothing the angle grinder, a dremmel tool and a BFH couldn't fix. It's all bolted up and looks great (minus the nut that broke off. Whenever/ If ever I get access to a welder...and learn how to use it, I'll tack weld the nut back on and fix the front bumper. Until then, it's EXTREMELY sturdy. I likes it.

On another note, I couldn't get my winch to work this morning to unspool and respool it. Pulled the switch apart, and just touched the contacts to test if it was the switch or the actual winch. It's definitely the switch. Easy fix thankfully. What I am considering however is a parallel setup. Keep the remote so I can spool it up on my own if I have to, and throw a second switch in the cabin on the dash so if I AM somewhere alone, I can tug myself and still be able to steer. That's the thought anyways. I'll let ya know what I decide, and document heavily when I actually get time to do ANOTHER project.

Unread 09-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #66
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Installed my new endlinks and greased them up. They look great! I did confirm however that my passenger side is sagging by approximately and inch or so. I wonder what woulda caused that one...

Unread 09-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #67
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alrite, quick update (this thread is alot less exciting without pics...I NEED to find my bloody camera!). The play in my front driver side tire (I had play all around so I figured it was a bad wheel bearing) is now fixed. That was a HORRIBLE experience. The old bearing was ridiculously seized up in the knuckle. Pulling, did nothing. prying did nothing. Heat on the knuckle did nothing. Partially screwing the 12 pt bolts back in and going ape **** with a hand sledge, did it, also jacking up the bolt heads in the process. So after replacing the bolts with grade 5 bolts from Do It Best, everything's back together again. The all around wheel play is gone! aaaand now I noticed side to side play. Upon closer examination the driver side tie rod end is bad. Ya know..the one that my alignment shop just fixed. Grrrr......Well I already have an appointment for them to fix the bad track bar they put in my car. Guess they get to do the tie rod end again as well. Maybe I should just be like... wtf man, you can't fix it properly the first time? Replace my Tie Rod with one from a ZJ Ifffff only.

Unread 09-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #68
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Found my camera finally!!! I get back home tomorrow, so I'll take a bunch of pics and show my progress. Been a busy week!

Unread 09-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #69
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Dang, Stax. Making the best of some time off work? Wish I could do that.

"Ifffffffff only." ? ? ? ? Why would you not have them make it right. At bare minimum they should sleeve your old tie rod for you with larger DOM for your trouble.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #70
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, finally got some pictures to show ya'all. So like I said earlier. I got some new bumpers and JKS disconnects. I guess I'll start with the initial photos when I first opened the boxes. Yup, it was like a great, paper and cardboard Christmas.

First my new JKS 2" lift endlinks.

My new Smittybilt classic rear bumper.

And my favorite new item, my Smittybilt front stinger with winch plate in place.

Well there you have it. My fancy new hardware all laid out looking purdy. I know Smittybilt isn't the best hardware in the world out there, further proven by some installation issues I ran across, but overall I'm really happy with what I got, and how it all turned out. Annnnd sadly, since I didn't have my camera during any of the install process, here's some finished pictures complete with mishaps. And just FYI, the rear bumper is not completely finished. I need to drop the gas tank to get all the backer plates and bolts in place and I haven't had an opportunity to do that just yet. Sooooon though, I promise, I won't tow any 9000lb trailers until I do.

Anywho. My driver side front end link.

And passenger side.

Notice the amount of visible threads from the end links on each side. There's definitely about an inch of sag on the passenger side, maybe more. Add new springs to the list of things to replace. It's just never ending.

Anyways, back to my new front bumper. Here's a nice angled shot.

And a mean front view that I really like.

Yup there she is all mounted up, complete with winch. One of the nuts welded to the jeep frame broke off, I think I mentioned it. here's the empty space. I am still confident it'll hold up without the bolt.

And the rear bumper.

This ended up being a hugely difficult process. The old bolts on the old hitch were mounted with nuts, on the INSIDE of the frame. When I pulled everything out, looked like whoever installed the hitch, welded a wire to the nut to hold it in place. I have NO idea how they got tightened up, but I couldn't loosen them. So cutting disk + angle grinder = lots of sparks, flying bolts and a popped off trailer hitch

The old hitch got ground down, with the assistance of my old man. A fresh coat of paint later and it looks brand new...or close enough anyways. Well my good buddy Drew is coming out to the house tonight and we're going to work on fixing my wiring. In trade I'm giving him the old hitch, since he only has a mini hitch on his TJ. Then tomorrow, time for a trip to the Cliffs!!!!

Unread 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #71
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks much better.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #72
Jpayne00

Good looking jeep
Jpayne00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #73
Jpayne00

came a long way
Jpayne00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #74
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alrite, Drew isn't here yet, but I did accomplish a few things. I finally decided to build a high lift jack mount. Originally I wanted to do a hood mount, partially because I like the way it looks, partially because I like the accessibility of having it high and on the outside of the vehicle, and to keep the interior as uncluttered as possible, especially for when I put the back seat in. (anyone got a line on a rear set of seat belts?) Unfortunately, I wasn't about to spent $60+ on a hood mount, and my original idea for doing it proved....impractical. Anyway, so a quick and dirty, yet still effective interior mount was the way I chose to go. I went to Do It Best Hardware and picked up some 3" U-bolts and wing nuts. I mounted the U-bolts with some washers I had on hand as spacers. I mounted the U-bolts to the vertical bars on the sport cage on the passenger side.

Here you can see how it was positioned on the rear most vertical bar.

The same was done on the front bar.

Then I mounted up the high lift on the U-bolts. The high lift was a bit long, so it actually sits along side the passenger seat by about 3". It's not perfect, but it shouldn't bother a passenger too much, plus, I probably won't have one. So here's the completed mounting complete with 2x6s wedged between the jack and the wall.

I also cleaned everything up and organized the back for tomorrow's wheeling session at the cliffs. Hope the weather holds and I still get to go.

Unread 09-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #75
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And thanks for the comments guys!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.