Stax's 98 TJ build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Stax's 98 TJ build

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #31
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the mud bogging is over with for me. I know that's somewhat unavoidable at the Cliffs...but it's sooooooooo close to home. Jeep's at Archer's alignment tonight and all day tomorrow for my alignment. When I get her back I'll toss a sprinkler under, and start the deep cleaning process. I want to have a sexified jeep, even if it is only for a few weeks. Jeff I'm taking your advice and going wheeling every chance I get!

Hallsofstone, yeah I've got a list of things that need to get sold off, tires boots, some other misc things. And thanks for the advice on the fenders. There was already some preexisting rust spots on the front grill. At some point in the near future I have to pull it off, clean it up, then I'll probably paint it or bed line it black. Same with the fender flairs. Hopefully I can fend off any major rust issues.

Alrite, I'll see if I can't get her cleaned up tomorrow night and snap some pictures. If not tomorrow, I'll get it done by this weekend.

shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #32
Brewskiskeeter
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, 2K for a 98 TJ with a 4.0. You stole that thing even if it needed a new clutch.
Unread 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #33
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah! Bought it from my best friend. He originally bought it so we could go wheeling on the weekends. 2 1/2 years later...no wheeling. We went once and he turned around said he needed to sell it. Sold it to me for dirt cheep, and made the realization that if it sat at my house instead of his apartment, we'd probably use it a helluva alot more often. Hence the discoutn.
Unread 08-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #34
homeboy1991
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great looking jeep man!
homeboy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #35
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks.

Wow...no more freaking mud. My $70.00 alignment just cost me $527.00 in front steering components. Mother F'er. Oh well. All new components on her now! Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, she'll be good for a little while. Indiana trip soon!!!!!
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #36
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstax33 View Post
Thanks.

Wow...no more freaking mud. My $70.00 alignment just cost me $527.00 in front steering components. Mother F'er. Oh well. All new components on her now! Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, she'll be good for a little while. Indiana trip soon!!!!!
Until you've spent 5-grand on that thing, you're still money ahead.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #37
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

:d
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:05 AM   #38
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Until you've spent 5-grand on that thing, you're still money ahead.
Truth being told.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #39
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Power washed the under body and the exterior. Tomorrow's a half day at work...I'll start cleaning the interior before the Bear's game. I'll take some clean pics and get em posted soon. Side note...my driveway is now a mud pit.
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #40
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright some minor stuff to report. Broke out the power washer...and I think she did a pretty good job. I'm getting the hillbilly car wash for the next trip though...and legitimately, I should probably still use it as is, because I think there's still mud caked in places I could reach with the power washer. Regardless, fresh and clean after her encounter with the power washer.

I did a little bit with the interior...but don't expect much progress here. This is from right after I removed the rear seats.

Yanking that rear seat was a good idea though. I can't use it, seeing as I don't have seat belts back there yet (If anyone has a line on cheap used ones let me know!), I'm going to treat it like an incredibly short bed pickup truck.

Here she is after a little bit of cleanup. You can see my soft cooler in the back. When it isn't holding drinks and food I stash my day to day jeep emergency stuff in there so it isn't just rolling around the back. It might not be secure...but nothing in there is super valuable either. There's also a small plastic box behind the passenger seat. It's just extra ratcheting straps for hauling my kayaks and the like. I haven't strapped a yak to the cage yet....but it's just a matter of time.

Here it is broken down. 20ft tow strap, an unknown length of 550 cord, 6 foot tow strap/ winch tree saver, heavy duty ratcheting straps, some mechanics glove, and a set of jumper cables. Just on the edge you can see the high lift jack and my CB antenna. They're not really secured well yet...but give me some time, I'll get them taken care of.

This is my tire repair tool kit. Small compressor, plug kit, extra plugs, valve stems. I just used the top flap from the compressor case to strap it to the cage in the rear above the wheel well. Keeps it nice and secure and out of the way. You can also see one of the 2x6's I have in the window wells. They're actually pretty well secured. I have them in there for the jack, temporarily until I find a big flat piece of steel I want to use.

Well there's the tour of the old girl, at least her rear end (insert inappropriate joke). When I get the front seats more cleaned up I'll provide that tour. Next step: Clean out the garage!
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #41
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, garage clean out...is going to be a looooooooong process. I clean it out really well about every 4-6 months. This was a 6 month stretch. This is what I started with.

I cleaned up most of my tools so far, tore down the temporary work bench on the left of the garage, taken the old kerosene cans out and put them along side the garage next to the garbage can (I'm never going to make that flow bench like I told myself I would), cleaned up most of the garbage and beer bottles (and yes there were alot, I don't drink and drive, I do however drink and build. Perhaps even more dangerous. ), organized at least 2 shelves of tool/parts racks.

I managed to go from a 1 small car garage to this.

Still a ridiculous amount of work to be done. All my racks are still in complete disorder. I need to get rid of my junk metal pile, turn it in, do something with it. I need to do something with the torn apart engine sitting in pieces on the rack in the back, sell it, scrap it something. still have to clean up the entire back quarter of the garage, because there's still junk, garbage, misc parts, pieces and tools laying around. Figure out what I'm doing with all the heavy pieces, the cheery picker, floor jacks, engine stand, O2 compressor, tool chest. I don't know what I want to do, I just know I don't want it how it is :P. Maybe it's time for me to finally break down, and paint the floor with that Rustoleum stuff....I've always wanted to and ya know what they say, there's no time like the present
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #42
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So yeah.... decided last night to look at my new steering issue. I can't recall if I mentioned it earlier, I think I did, but whatever. When I hit my brakes, the jeep tugs left. Not terribly, but enough that I need to correct it. I started to check the easy things first. I checked all my front suspension components and everything seemed good and tight...untill I got to my track bar. It seems loose on both sides. I can grab it with my hand and shake it, and that's from both ends, at the bushing side that connects it to the rest of the steering geer, and at the point where it mounts up to the frame. I checked the castle nut, and it's tight, and matter of fact the stud doesn't move, the joint itself does though...I wonder if my trackbar is bad...I could have swore that was replaced when it went in for the alignment.

I called Archer's and told them about the track bar. They said that was odd, they couldn't look at it untill next week though. They also told me if the jeep is tugging it's probably a siezed brake calliper. I've had tugging like this on my MR-2 because of loose suspension components...so I think I'll check that first and foremost, seeing as it should be free (I Hope). Tonight I'll put the jeep up in the air and start spinning wheels. If I have a siezed calliper, hopefully I'll be able to ID it. If not, time for a new track bar!

I also decided to address my lower fog lights not working. It turned into a disaster that required buffallo wings and beers at O'Leary's to calm the anger. I'll post about that tonight, when I have my pics available.
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #43
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Holy crap, Stax! You're quickly learning the definition of Jeep. "Just Empty Every Pocket". You might actually be learning it faster than me...

Beer, wings? Want!

Keep us posted.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #44
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alrite. Here's the news. Some initial small items I purchased this weekend.

Parts for my home made Hummer clone snorkel kit. My big issue with this is that it will remove the air box and I don't know if the surface area of the filter element will be big enough to get the proper flow to the intake manifold. If it doesn't (and lets face it, it probably won't), I'll most likely modify the stock box and just end up using that. But that was part of the point of the snorkel project. Get into a little bit of tinkering.

And next up, last nights fiasco. This is what I found when I cracked open the dash.

At some point in the relatively near future I need to clean this up. I've decided I'm going to use one of the empty slots in one of the fuse boxes and wire the lighting through that. The guy who did wire it...well, apparently he thought this solder job was better than actually wiring up proper connectors and actually hooking up a switch like you're supposed to. Yes it's blurry, but it gives you an idea on how much solder just got puddled on. No wonder something got blown.

I also took a look at the fuse box behind the glove box in my search for the fuse I blew when I reconnected one of the unconnected switches. Not only did I not find it, I discovered a lot of what should have been 10amp fuses had previously been replaced with 20 and 25 amps, and a few 20s were replaced with 30 amps. Add replacing nearly ALL my fuses to the list of things to do. Plus tearing out all that wiring and rewiring it properly. Can anyone suggest if it would be better to make a dedicated wiring harness right to the battery for the lighting/winch, or tap into the existing harness? I haven't researched it yet(don't worry I will) just curious on other's thoughts.

Anyway, tonight is not an electrical night. Tonight is a figure out what exactly is mechanically wrong with my jeep night.

Tonight....is a hillbilly rig my jeep night. So I jack it up, throw it up on my 6 ton truck stands. I spin both front tires, both spin freely by hand. I assemble this lovely contraption to engage the brakes because I don't have a second set of hands available tonight.

Yes, that's a pair of 2x6s that I carry in the jeep for my high lift. And in case you don't believe that actually engaged the breaks.

Anyways. I walk up to both tires. Spin the front driver side, it's extremely tight. What should happen when you spin a tire with the brakes engaged. Walk to the passenger side.... and it spins freely as before.

Well, that would make sense considering the Jeep pulls to the left when I hit my brakes. I guess I'm learning how to replace a set of calipers now. FYI, I hate bleeding breaks. If anyone within reasonable distance of Dekalb Illinois has a speed bleeder and likes darn good BBQ and beer, or just really likes bleeding brakes, please come help me, lol. I'll be pricing those out at the local stores shortly. Now I just have to decide if I wanna do pads and rotors as well... definately pads, maybe not rotors... I guess we'll see.

Not sure what to work on first...probably cook my left over wings...then call around for new calipers.
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #45
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstax33 View Post
FYI, I hate bleeding breaks. If anyone within reasonable distance of Dekalb Illinois has a speed bleeder and likes darn good BBQ and beer, or just really likes bleeding brakes, please come help me, lol.
I have the bleed-o-matic:

Works great for a one man bleeder....even I can do it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.