Stax's 98 TJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Stax's 98 TJ build

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stax's 98 TJ build

Well I guess I'll start with the basics. This jeep originally came to my attention about 2 and a half years ago. It's a 1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0, with 31" tires, a 2"suspension lift, and a winch. My best friend Devin actually purchased it from a Craigslist add. He purchased it with the intention to go off roading. It also should be noted when he purchased it, neither of us knew jack about cars/ jeeps/ lawnmowers, nodda. A few years later that changed with the purchase of my other toy, and MR2 Spyder, but that's a different forum. I digress.

Long story short, 2 years go by, no wheeling. It sits in his complex's parking lot for over 2 years. A few months back he comes to me and says, we need to take it off road NOW, and as soon as we get back I'm selling it. Right around this time, my dd, a 02 xterra, is starting to fall apart. You can see where this is going.

To say the least we take the jeep out to The Cliffs. It's a sloshing muddy mess, and there's two amateurs going out on their own. It was one of the best times I've ever had lol. Devin, a little more concerned. We got stuck LOTS, and thank God his jeep had a winch on it, and 6 or 7 pull outs later, we made it through the park, successfully filling the entire jeep with mud/water/debris. After that, Devin's plan was to get it cleaned up as soon as he could, and put her up for sale.

Well, meanwhile I was selling my Xterra. Since I was getting rid of the xterra I was toying with the idea of getting a Jeep of my own as a winter/DD vehicle. I'll make a long story...still long but cutting it short. I dumped the X, and a week later Devin dropped of my very first Wrangler.

I had a friend take a look at it for me finally figured out a lot of what I have.
-2" pro-comp suspension lift
-31" tires
-ugly beyond reason 15" wheels
-10000lb winch
-a CB with no antenna

and I'm still working on figuring out what else was done to it. When it comes to Jeeps, I'm strictly a noob. And I'm not proud to admit this but after my friend's inspection, we discovered I was missing my rear driver side shock. I thought it was there when the vehicle was originally purchased, but how in God's name did I miss losing a shock haha. Oh well, add it to the list of things needing to be taken care of. Anyways.

Per my friend's recommendation, I stopped by a local Jeep dealer and got a build sheet for my vehicle. Apparently it has (and this prolly never changed) a Dana 30 up front and 35 in the rear, running 3.07 gears. Also has the 19 gallon tank, and AC which was a huge surprise to myself and Devin, as we were both told there was no AC. It doesn't work, but there's definitely an AC compressor in the engine bay, I checked myself, guess it just needs a recharge. All this to say the least, has been a lot to take in.

But it's now taken in and I have a list of tasks for myself.

I already ordered Rough Country Nitro 9000 shocks to replace the remaining Pro comps, since I was informed they're not really great quality, plus the Nitro's got decent reviews on here, and the price was good. Tonight I'm going to change differential fluid and replace the rear pinion seal which we also discovered was leaking. Shocks arrive tomorrow so that'll go on sometime in the afternoon/evening (hopefully). Aside from that, alot of stuff is going to get cleaned up, some chipped paint cleaned up and touched up, grind/sand off some rust and repaint, fender flairs will be repainted black, STILL have to clean the mud out of the interior, and then let the unending mod list begin.

Well I guess that's my long winded introduction, but Hello to all! I'll attempt to keep my build updated and all comments, criticisms, and advice are welcome, cus God only knows, I'm going to need help. And anyone ever want someone to go wheeling with in the Chicagoland area, give me a hollar!

shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

7/31/11

Alright, time for an update. This weekend was a busy one for me and the Jeep. New shocks are supposed to be in sometime Friday, if I can get them installed, I might be able to go wheeling on Sunday, as I had an Autocross for the Spyder on Saturday in South Bend Indiana. So I started in the morning, first thing by changing my differential fluid on my front and rear. It was a first time experience for me. I heard rumors about a solid, permanent gasket for the differentials instead of using RTV all the time. If I'm going to start Wheeling on a regular basis, maybe that'd be a good investment. Has anyone purchased these? and do they work as well as good ol' RTV?

Pics from that procedure.

My neighbor also came over while I was sealing the diffs back up. She's renamed blue RTV as smurf poo. I thought it was appropriate.

Before I refilled the rear differential, I decided to fix the leaky pinion seal that we found in our going around the vehicle. $15.00 at my local Jeep dealer (I went to 3 local autoparts stores, no one carried a rear pinion seal for a 98 TJ. Now that was rediculous) That, surprisingly went really smoothly. Minus the fact that there's STILL mud coming out of every nook and cranny of my undercarriage, ESPECIAlLY when I'm wrenching on anything, the procedure went relatively smoothly. The only stalls I had where the old seal and the new seal. Had to run out and buy a seal puller from Autozone, because I couldn't yank the old one with a screwdriver. My other issue was putting the new seal in. It said in the write up I found, just tap it in. Well, tapping involved a couple 2x4s and a big rubber mallet. Took me a while to figure it out. I tried just tapping the seal itself with a mallet, but it would go in strait, then a pair of 2x4s around the edge of the seal got it seated, then I just went around the edge with the mallet until it was in place. After that reassembly went smooth. Filled up the diffs, and took her for a spin around the block. Checked everything, no leaks drips or anything else. Good sign.

I need to make a side note here. I've had the TJ about a week now a few issues have popped up. Something wines like crazy whenever I turn my wheel. When I put a stethoscope to the power steering motor, it sounds like its coming from at least that general vicinity. I already mentioned the AC didn't seem to work. Also, I have no IDEA the last time the oil was changed, so add that to the list of things to look at today. A recent symptom has also popped up over the past few days. I'll turn the key and get a single click sound, then nothing. All the lights will come on, power all works, just nothing. I'll turn it off and do it again and the same will happen. This will happen a few times, but always after doing it, sometimes twice, sometimes as many as 10 times (though that only happened once) and it'll start right up as if there were no problems at all. I had someone say it might be my starter going bad. Anyone have an idea about that? I'll repost that one in the tech section when I get a chance.

Anyway, so I popped my hood and took a look around. I checked my AC compressor first, just because it was where I was standing at the time. Upon examining it, I noticed there was a connector coming from the compressor hanging next to another connector that appeared to be its counterpart. I clipped those back together. I figure I'll go get a can of refrigerant from Autozone in a while and try and recharge the system, if it needs it. I swing over to the power steering reservoir and check that. None is visible in the reservoir at all, and nothing is appearing on cap. Hmm... that can't be good. Closed that up and checked my oil. It's a little low, but not terribly. I don't know the last time the oil was changed on it, so add that to my list.

So I head to Autozone. Grab oil, power steering fluid, oil filter, a can of refrigerant and back home I go. I'll do the oil change last as I want to get everything else done first. I fill up the power steering reservoir, start the TJ up and turn the wheel back and forth a bunch of times. I take her for a trip around the block and park her. The level went down. I fill her back up again, same process. check the reservoir again, level hasn't changed. I appear to be good to go, and the whining sound has gone away. Alrite! A small victory.

I read the directions on the refrigerant can, as I've never recharged an AC before. Ok, I figure out where the low valve is on the system, pull the cap. I start up the TJ again, turn the AC on and turn the blower to full, hook the can up to the valve, puncture the seal, open the valve and charge the system. When the gauge says its full I close it up, remove it, hop in, and feel the glorious chilled wind that is a functioning AC system. This is just fantastic news for me. No longer have to put off playing in the jeep in the summer.

Next is the oil change, drain the fluid. I go to remove the oil filter, the old filter is on tighter then I expect, and low and behold, I can't find my large oil filter wrench. So I grunt, cuss, flail my legs, and FINALLY break it lose. Pan's done draining, oil the seal on the new filter and put it in place, put the drain plug back in, and fill her up. Start her up and let her run for a little while just to let things get lubricated before I take her out.

Once she's good to go, it's about 1130, no UPS driver yet with my shocks. Time for lunch. I make a quick run to Wendy's eat there, and I'm back home in 15 minutes. Sitting on my doorstep is a box from Rough Country. I swear UPS stalks my house and waits for me to leave to deliver packages.

Anyone I open her up and see a beautiful sight.

Mmm, my new Nitro 9000s. And low and behold, no boots. I check my receipt, yup, must have forgotten to order them. I could have swore I checked the box online for 4 black boots, but oh well. I hop online real quick and put an order in for my boots.

I make a quick run to Lowes to get grade 8 hardware, get in line to check out with a handful of bolts... and can't find my wallet. It's still sitting next to the computer from my boot order. Another bout of profanity leaves my lips. I step up to the service desk, tell them my plight, and tell them I live a few blocks away. The saintly people agree to hold onto my parts while I run home. A few short minutes later I'm back, and leaving for the second time, bolts washers and nuts in tow.

I want to have functioning shocks on the jeep already, so I decide to start installing them as is, and go back and put the boots on later.

I start with the rears, seeing as I'm still missing one. I pop the old one off just to get a feel for how they mount. Seems easy enough. I install the top mounts first (interesting side note, everything on this jeep has been imperial sizes, but for some reason the threads for the top shock mount are metric threads, someone PLEASE explain that one to me ), then cut the plastic strapping used to keep them compressed. As it expands I line the bottom mount up with the lower bracket...and it's to tight to slide right in. A few minutes later with small pry bar and a rubber mallet and everything's in place and the bolt is in.

I tighten everything down and slide over to the side that was missing the shock. I go to put the first bolt in place up top to start it to mount the shock... and it'll only go in a few threads. I break out the shop light and realize the threads are caked in mud still. I break out the Q-tips and some water and start scrubbing them out. I get them both relatively clean. Mount the shock up, tighten it down, alright another victory. Get the bottom mounted, same procedure. Alrite, I have rear shocks again. Check my watch, it's 4:30. Annnnnnd I've gotta be outta the house by 5, so I pack up for the night.

The plan is to get started again Sunday and we'll see what happens from there.
Unread 08-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Time to finish the suspension, followed by disaster

Finally got to get back to work on finishing installing the shocks on Sunday. Double check everything is good with the rears, yup good to go. I move over to the fronts, take a look at what I'm doing. Everything's still covered in mud, so I clean off the hardware as much as I can.

I start on the passenger side shock first. Unbolt the bottom first. Once you get past the dirt, rust and seizure issues, it really came apart quite easily. Or at least, soaking everything in PB Blaster definitely makes things easier. I move to the top, start wrenching, and the whole upper half of the shock is just spinning. I use a 1/4" wrench to hold the top of the stud, and its still slipping out. Hmm... So I bust out the locking pliers grab onto the shock shaft and give that a whirl. That works better,but it's still ridiculously hard, not to mention taking forever. Time to try something a little different.

I make a run to Lowes, and buy a set of ratcheting combination wrenches. I have a few in metric sizes, but nothing in imperial standard. It's a little pricey, but in my experience, they're worth their weight in gold. Get them home and back to work.

I get to work with the wrench, and use a second wrench to lengthen the arm, and start twisting. It works like a charm!..... until the stud snaps off below the bolt. Oh well, they were junk shocks to begin with, and it accomplished the same thing. I pull it out. I open the piston by hand, it stays open. I close it by hand, it stays closed. Yeah...new shocks was not a bad investment.

I break out one of the new front shocks. I'm looking at this shock still strapped in the closed position. I figure I'm supposed to mount the top first, cut the strap, and let it expand. Great plan...in theory. I put the bushings in place, put the stud up through the mount on the chassis, place the other bushing and cup in place, and there are no threads visible to place the bolt. Great. I push up with both hands and can expose the threads, but I can't hold it one handed. Hmm... issue. Thankfully my friend Staci was over and washing the interior for me from the mudding adventure at the Cliffs. God bless bored college students. I get under the jeep, push up, and she gets the bolt started for me. Yes!!! I tighten it down, cut the wire and the shock expands and I guide it into place on the lower perch. I bolt it in, no problems, tighten everything up, and it looks good to go. Here's to the small victories.

I move to the other side and at this point Staci bids me goodbye, work has a habit of interfering sometimes. I look at this and again try to mount the shock to the top first, this time solo. Not happening. Then I remember something I read in a thread about mounting the bottom first. Hmm...no way this has enough upward pressure to work. Heck, I'll try anything once. I mount up the bottom, easy as can be. Snip the strap, and the shock opens up, right through the hole in the upper mount all by itself. I place the additional bushings and cup in place and bolt it down. Tighten everything up, double check all four shocks and examine my work. Ya know what, not half bad. It might even function like its supposed to.

Finally, a freshly mounted shock.

I hop in, turn the key 6 or 7 times before she starts up (I definitely need to get a new starter), and go for a cruise around the block. Oh my God! Night and day difference. I always thought Jeeps road rough, but it felt like I was in a luxury sedan compared to how it was riding before on the Pro Comps. Again I parked her in the garage. One last thing I want to do before calling it a day.

I finally decide to deal with the milk jugs that are still attached to my rear bumper. Talk about a lot of hardware for a plastic end cap. Two torques screws on top AND bottom, and long ones to boot. I get three off on each side, and the 4th one, the lower rear screw on both sides, just spin. I finally get frustrated and start yanking and just break them both off. Turns out the threaded clip on the inside of the inserts had broken loose, and was just spinning inside the jug. The ONLY way to get them off was to break them off. Oh well, I was never planning on replacing them anyways.

Here's to that completed project.

And just to put things into perspective, this is the remains of the old shocks.

Alright, after a day of hard work, I want to put some miles on the Jeep finally. I figure its about time I take a little trip, back to the suburbs to show off my new treasure. I hop in take off. Maybe 5 miles down the road, I depress the clutch to change gears and I hear an ear splitting screeching sound. : Sounds like the throw out bearing is going. Bloody figures. Ok, well, I'm still in Dekalb, and I've had other vehicles that have had throw out bearing problems before, and they were good for a few months before I addressed it. I figure I can at least make it to the weekend, or next when I'm willing to put it on jacks and fix it.

So I drive home to my folks, about 60 miles away. As I periodically shift, sometimes the sound stays the same, sometimes it completely goes away. OK, no worries. I get to my folks successfully, take my dad around the block. The screeching is annoying, but the pedal feels fine, and I'm not having any problems shifting. We get back to the house, and I let my dad take her for a spin. He used to have an old CJ7 back when I was a kid so it was a nice reminiscent moment for him. We cruise around the industrial park by the house and he stops at a stop sign. And he sits there. And continues to sit there. He turns to me and says, it won't go into gear. I ask the usual stupid question, is the clutch all the way in? He just turns and says, lets swap.

I hop out get in the driver seat. I push on the pedal, and its hard as can be. I push harder, and try shifting. Nothing. I mess with it for a few more minutes and finally kill it. Great job. I toss on the hazards and call AAA. My dad walks back home to grab his car, and I get a tow truck in route to to me to my folks, thankfully a free tow due to the short distance.

A humorous side note. While I'm sitting here in the middle of the road with my hazards on, two separate Itasca Police cars drive past me. Actually they both drive past me numerous times. Never once do they stop to ask why I'm sitting in the middle of the road. They both turn and drive off in separate directions. I guess they figured I wasn't bothering them.

Anyways, I send a few text messages to a few Jeep friends. They both give me the same answer I predicted. Throw out bearing went out, maybe a clutch issue. Great. My buddy Drew (a mechanic by trade) is back in town Tuesday, and agrees to help me out in trade for beer, a steak and a cheap cigar. Can't beat that deal. He recommends going to Lee's Auto Parts and get a Luk's clutch kit. He also advises me to do something about the flywheel, resurface or replace it. Not a surprise, but I'm not going to push away any advice at this point, needed or not. I finally get it dropped off in my folks driveway. My dad tells me we'll keep it there and I can repair it in the garage when I can. Alrite, I just gotta load up his car with my tools and I should be good to go. Thankfully I have a pretty well set up garage after my Spyder, complete with numerous jacks, stands, air tools, and lots of dedicated automotive tools. It'll be a pain working in someone elses garage, but I'm not about to drop another $300.00 on a tow bill back to Dekalb, so Dad's garage it is. Drew lets me know he can help out this weekend, all I need are parts. Got it.

Well I get back home look into the project. Looks like it's going to be a handful. Story of my automotive life.

Anyway, I do a little research, drink a medicinal beer and rack out.

Monday comes along, and then goes. After a little net search I find out there's a Lee's auto about 3 blocks from my house. Didn't even know it existed till the day before and it turns out it's the closest parts store to me. I give them a call and they say they can have all the parts I need on hand by the end of the day. I show up after work, and I get a big stack of boxes.

$132.99 for the clutch kit, including pressure plate and bearing
$72.87 for the flywheel
$94.89 for the starter.

Grand total of $362.61 after tax. The cost of the clutch kit alone for my Spyder was over $400. This was GREAT news for me. I bring everything home, and naturally, like any kid on Christmas, take a look at what I have.

Everything lined up nice and pretty...well, pretty as fairly plain cardboard boxes can be.

And everything opened up.

No surprises there. Everything I need appears to be in place. I leave the parts in their wrapping. No need to mess with any of that till install time. Now I just have to wait until this weekend to get started. It's going to be a painful week.
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And after an evening of MORE reading and research. Back to the Lee's to return my starter sometime today. I found this while digging around. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...start-1241859/
This describes my symptoms to a T. After doing a little research, looks like I'll be junk yard hopping this week for a replacement. Much better option than $90 for a whole new starter. Told ya I was still learning.
Unread 08-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alrite, starter was returned, and while I was at Lee's a picked up a package of new flywheel bolts. Figured it'd be a smart investment, especially for $10.00. I also got home and low and behold! My shock boots arrived! I'll be installing those...hopefully Sunday. At least... that's the plan.
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum, and the addiction. I had an over powering urge to correct your typos...

Maybe we'll make it to the Badlands in late September, jeep running, and temps dropping.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 03:29 AM   #7
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Welcome to the forum, and the addiction. I had an over powering urge to correct your typos...

Maybe we'll make it to the Badlands in late September, jeep running, and temps dropping.
Old habits die hard I suppose

I'm definitely going to be up for at least one badlands trip this year. I'll probably get to the cliffs a bit more though, just because of the ease of access.
Unread 08-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #8
PonyExp305

Been to Sturgis on Bike week +14times. Love to go Badlands/Black Hills drive on Jeep .That s cool

Keep up on your works on Jeep.
()_) ()_) ---- )_)........()_)--- ) ()_) ---- )_)
PonyExp305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExp305 View Post
Been to Sturgis on Bike week +14times. Love to go Badlands/Black Hills drive on Jeep .That s cool

Keep up on your works on Jeep.
He was talking about the Badlands in Indiana. lol, but that's ok.

Side note: here's to hoping the clutch job goes smoothe.
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch Job!

Time for an update!

Thursday night I got to spend a few hours getting my tools together. Floor jack, all my wrenches, sockets, breaker bars, extra pipe lengths, all 8 of my jack stands, spare fluids, all the new parts, all my air tools, plus my electric impact and angle grinder, just in case. It was a packed Ford Edge, let me tell ya. Next day I went to Harbor Freight and got an additional 450lb transmission jack, just because it was cheap, and I knew I'd use it plenty working between the Jeep and the Spyder( it's currently in need of a new 2nd gear syncro so it'll be coming out soon as soon as winter hits.).

So I got back to my folks Friday afternoon, and started work immediately. I actually started on some cosmetic projects, seeing as I hadn't felt brave enough to start the clutch job on my own, mostly because I hadn't done a HUGE amount of research yet. Drew was coming out to help, and he'd done it 2 or 3 times. I could wait.

This is where I did get to Harbor Freight with pops. Got the tranny jack, some heavy duty tow straps, some shorter ones to serve as tree savers, a small DC air compressor, and some wheel chocks, as my e-brake barely works. we also stopped at Menards and I picked up a big soft shell cooler, just because I see it being handy to have in the Jeep.

After all that, I get home and decided to start by painting and touching up my mirrors and spot light mounts. Here's what I had to work with.

And after a little grinding.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P8050003.jpg
And Devin (the buddy I bought the Jeep from) came over to help out. Lots of sanding.

Devin goes to remove the passenger side spot light mount, but he ends up stripping out one of the hex screws. I'll have to drill/easy out it later. So I'll continue to have one rusty mount for a few more days.

I'm a big fan of the Krylon product line soooo, a can of Krylon grey primer and flat black got pulled out.

I wiped everything down with acetone, then sprayed 2 coats of primer on each part.

And then next morning a coat or two of flat black.

After the first coat, Drew showed up and we got down to business. I wish I had pictures of the install, but we pretty much plowed through it as quick as we could. First bolt out to last bolt in, about 3 hours. I needed NONE of my air tools, NONE of my jack stands, and didn't need the shiny knew tranny jack. : Couldn't wait to cram all of THAT into the back of the jeep, but alas such is life.

The only trouble we had was removing the old pilot bearing. We ended up not getting it, pushing it all the way to the back of the crank and just installing the new one on top. There was plenty of space, and we didn't think it should cause any issues, so we went with it. Put it all back together and buttoned her up.

It should be noted, the throw out bearing indeed was the issue. Siezure however was NOT the issue. The only way I can describe it is maybe decimation. No two components were still together. The bell housing was full of rings, small ball bearings, housing chunks, everything except anything similar to a throw out bearing.

Not a whole lot left to look at. Thankfully, everything, flywheel and clutch got replaced. Old clutch was almost gone, so it needed replacing, and the flywheel, well...it prolly needed it too.

After all was said and done, I hopped in to start her up....and nothing. Not really a shock there. Drew hopped under and hammered on the starter some, seeing as he didn't believe my ignition idea. Nothing. He then tried to jump it, and still just a click. He convinced me to yank the starter, and we made a trip to Autozone to test it. We also called ahead and they informed us there was a replacement in stock if needed.

Got to Autozone, and handed the mud encrusted starter to the employee. He hooked it up to his little do-hickey, and.......... it failed. Well I felt stupid, lol. Shoulda tested the starter to begin with but I'll be honest, I totally forgot I could test it for free, and I got a little over excited digging through forums. The switch replacement was sooo much cheaper, I had hoped. Lol, but alas, real world experience trumped amateur hour. Told you I was a noob, but then again this is why I invited Dre to begine with.

Anyway. Hooked that back up, only shocked myself once (I never was good about disconnecting the battery when I work on my vehicles) got the starter hooked up. Hopped in annnnnnnnnd, low and behold, she started on the first try. Finally some good luck.

Took her around the block, didn't notice anything unusual. Hopefully we were right about the pilot bearing. Drive's good. Now I just gotta take it easy for the first few hundred miles. Figures I get 2 invites to go wheeling the first day the new clutch is in. Oh well, I can wait a few weeks.

Everything seems good to go. My mirrors need another coat of black, but my can ran out, and I can't find a new one at any Walmarts, in Medinah/Schaumburg, OR Dekalb. I'll look again later. I bolt everything back into place, at least for the ride home. It's a huge improvement, even if the mirrors need another coat. I haven't gotten a chance yet to snap any pictures of the painted pieces, but as soon as i get some time I will, and post them up.
Unread 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, this weekend I'm probably purchasing a set of 4 31" Hankook Mud Terrains. I'm running 15" wheels. Anyone have any thoughts or comments? I also got word from Jeffro about a replacement soft top and maybe some rear seatbelts, seeing as mine are missing. It's definately going to be a busy (Expensive?) weekend for the Jeep.
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alrite, I'm not at all happy with how the flat black turned out. Soooo I busted out the can of satin black. Of course, in the name of making sure even the simplest jobs are made unimaginably complicated, all the bolts holding the spot light mounts, stripped out when I put the allen's in place. After a trip to Lowes for a new easy out to replace my existing broken one, and about and hour and a half of drilling and jacking around, I got the brackets off. Some more grinding of the rusty bracket. Then a couple coats of primer. Then a bunch of coats of the satin. No pictures right now. I still need to get new bolts and get them mounted up. When that's done, I'll snap a few fresh photos and get them posted. So far, everything I've done looks good. I still need to re-tape the mirrors so I can spray the bodies down with the satin. Couldn't find my painters tape. I'll dig around tomorrow and finish those off, then those little items will be done.

New tires should be in at Lovell's tomorrow, so I'll probably drop the Jeep off in the evening, and hopefully Tuesday night I'll have some nice new 31" Hankook M/Ts.

Next I have to decide what's next in the line of touch up projects. The tail light guards are pretty rustified. I'm not entirely sure how to remove them yet, but they definitely need to be taken care of. And I still haven't gotten around to spooling the winch up properly.

On the plus side, Friday will be my first road trip. Driving to pick up a replacement top from a fellow in Indiana. Won't have to worry about replacing the duct tape patch every few days that's on my existing top Hopefully it survives the 400+ mile round trip. The jeep seems to be fighting me so I REALLY hope it doesn't crap out on me while I'm on the road. I guess only time will tell.
Unread 08-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #13
bigred04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Keep up the progress
bigred04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, quick update. Re-taped up the mirrors again with an old piece of target, since I couldn't find an old newspaper around. I cleaned everything up again, and wiped everything down with acetone. Sprayed a couple coats of Krylon black Satin on the mirrors and a last coat on the spot light mounts. Everything looks to be coming along really well. I snapped a few quick photos.

Side note: uploading to photo bucket and THEN to here, is a HUGE PITA. Thankfully I'm actually really enjoying keeping this updated and documented. Probably the only reason I have been continuing to upload the photos.

Everything laid out after a few coats.

One of the mirrors after having dried for about an hour. I seem to be having trouble getting rid of some light spots. I have a feeling that has to do with paint prep. After all, I am still pretty new to the painting thing. Practice comes perfect.

And one of the spotlight brackets.

I also hit up Lowes for some replacement hardware. I know all the original hardware, well, 3 of the 4 bolts on each side of the spot light mounts, was flush mounted. Well, I couldn't find anything like that. So I'm keeping it simple. Grade 8 bolts and washers. Simplifies things quite a bit. I just hope it holds as tight as it needs too. Once it's all mounted up I'll spray a quick coat of paint just so the hardware blends in.

Also, I dropped the TJ off at Lovell's to get the tires mounted. This time tomorrow I'll be rolling on 31" Hankook Mud Terrains!!

All goes according to plan, I'm going to the Cliffs on Sunday and seeing how all the new mods/repairs/replacements are holding up. I can't wait!
Unread 08-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstax33 View Post
All goes according to plan, I'm going to the Cliffs on Sunday and seeing how all the new mods/repairs/replacements are holding up. I can't wait!
Now how in the hell did you get out of working on Sunday?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.