Starting my 2000 XJ Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Starting my 2000 XJ Project

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 05-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Nick
2006 WK 

Starting my 2000 XJ Project

Well, I bought my 2000 XJ for $4,900 about a month ago, and am ready to get started. Right now, it is mostly stock except for 2" spacers.

I'm fairly new to the jeep world, and will likely have lots of questions as I go.

I'm wanting to put on a new bumper, I'm liking the Hanson bumpers and they seem reasonably priced. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Also, a cargo rack for the top is a necessity.. again, any recommendations?

Lights.. four circle lights on the cargo rack, and probably two driving lights on the bumper. Again, recommendations?

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 3.5" lift, what kits would be good for that? But, this is my daily driver, I've got 30"s on there now, and probably wouldn't want to go much bigger than 31"s for the sake of the gas mileage, and my wallet. So, getting a bigger lift might not even be a direction I need to go.

Decisions, decisions.. Here are some pictures of the XJ:

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
01ClassicXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

looking good look at rubicon express for lift kits.

Last edited by 01ClassicXJ; 06-01-2009 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: his pics show now.
01ClassicXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
driverdave
1989 MJ Comanche 

My Cherokee I had 10 off road lights on it, 4 on roof, 4 on front bumper and 2 aiming out back also had 2 sets of clear driving lights a pair up front the other pair is stuffed up in the receiver hitch for extra back up lights.
It really depends on how much night off roading you will be doing, when I do lift my MJ I will probably go with 4-6 off road light aiming froward and get clear driving for extra back up lights.

On a stock alternator that is under 100 amps I would be careful how many lights you put on and use at 1 time I found out the hard way lol. 100 amp or lower I would only put 4 light max on it.
driverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hnb0y1989 View Post
looking good look at rubicon express for lift kits.
Yeah, I've been looking at a 3.5" Rubicon Express for like $600, that is probably what I'll be going for when the time comes. I think I'm going to do everything else first, then see what it looks like. If it still needs that edge, I'll up my lift to 3.5" and get some 31"s, but if not I'll leave it the 2" and 30"s.
Unread 05-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverdave View Post
My Cherokee I had 10 off road lights on it, 4 on roof, 4 on front bumper and 2 aiming out back also had 2 sets of clear driving lights a pair up front the other pair is stuffed up in the receiver hitch for extra back up lights.
It really depends on how much night off roading you will be doing, when I do lift my MJ I will probably go with 4-6 off road light aiming froward and get clear driving for extra back up lights.

On a stock alternator that is under 100 amps I would be careful how many lights you put on and use at 1 time I found out the hard way lol. 100 amp or lower I would only put 4 light max on it.
Ha, I didn't even think about stressing the alternator. I think max I would have is six lights. I don't do a lot of night off roading, I prefer to go during daylight hours. But, that could change. I guess the one thing I have going for me, is that my step-father is a Chrysler mechanic, so I've got all the tools and advice I'll need. Hopefully. So, if for six lights I'll probably want to get a better alternator. Luckily, alternators aren't terribly hard to install. I've never prices one that wasn't stock, I had to replace the alternator on my 1990 XJ and that was only 100$.
Unread 05-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
driverdave
1989 MJ Comanche 

I try to go during the day time but been stuck bad many times and left the woods at night. What I did was brought my alt to a guy that rebuilds them, it was a 90 or 92 amp ( its been 7 yrs since rebuild) and the guy put the guts for a 125 amp into my stock 90 amp casing cost me $30.00 a lot cheaper than a new one.
One thing I forgot also is get a battery that's either 850 cranking amps or a nice marine battery.with out replacing the alt this may help.
I own tons of tool but when it comes time for body work im lost so my brother does that for me, mechanic wise older cars im good with these newer computerized ones im not, I dont own a scanner yet maybe one day .

Another way is take out the air box and you can get a after market battery holder that fits the spot nicely and run your light to that. so you would new new air intake box and second battery set up.
Unread 05-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverdave View Post
I try to go during the day time but been stuck bad many times and left the woods at night. What I did was brought my alt to a guy that rebuilds them, it was a 90 or 92 amp ( its been 7 yrs since rebuild) and the guy put the guts for a 125 amp into my stock 90 amp casing cost me $30.00 a lot cheaper than a new one.
One thing I forgot also is get a battery that's either 850 cranking amps or a nice marine battery.with out replacing the alt this may help.
I own tons of tool but when it comes time for body work im lost so my brother does that for me, mechanic wise older cars im good with these newer computerized ones im not, I dont own a scanner yet maybe one day .

Another way is take out the air box and you can get a after market battery holder that fits the spot nicely and run your light to that. so you would new new air intake box and second battery set up.

Think 117 amps would be sufficient? What I'll probably end up doing, is just installing all the lights and going from there. But I'll expect to have to replace the alt with a higher ampage one.
Unread 05-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
driverdave
1989 MJ Comanche 

117 should be enough.Before you buy a new one do what I did and see if some one around you rebuilds them much cheaper, the internals for a 90 amp alt is same size as 125 amp. Make sure when you experiment trying your lights out either do it in your yard or bring a friend with a truck in case you drain the bat or kill the alt, it sux breaking down in the woods especially when your alone.
Unread 05-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
Nick
2006 WK 

Yeah, i'll have to look into it. I don't like wheeling alone, I got stuck once and that's all it took to make me want to bring a friend whenever I go.
Unread 05-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
driverdave
1989 MJ Comanche 

I think we all learn that lesson the hard way lol.
Unread 05-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
driverdave
1989 MJ Comanche 

I wish I had as many trails around as you can use in Utah, its so hard to find a place to take my Jeeps I bought a quadracer
Unread 05-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
Nick
2006 WK 

Yeah, we do have a lot of places. It's nice, but there is a lot of Jeep territory being closed off for development and such. This is just my opinion, but in Utah it seems like there are two kinds of people, those who drive jeeps, and those who hate jeeps and everything we do.
Unread 05-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
CalebsXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good man!
2000 Jeep XJ; Heated Leather; 5.5 w/ACOS; 32's BIGHORNS; RK 3 Link; RE Monotubes; Rock Sliders; Rustys TC Skid; Front & Rear Recovery; Cobra CB; Flo-Pro Exhaust; Airaid; Surco Rack; HD Steering Crossover; IRO Adjustable Track Bar; SOLID d30 Cover; Recessed Winch Bumper; Gorilla Silver Back Series Winch; Hella 500 Lights...
CalebsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Nick
2006 WK 

Took it out for the first real time yesterday, we did pretty good. Except for a rock through the sidewall of my tire. :[ New Cooper 30" tire = $158. Ouch.
Unread 06-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
Nick
2006 WK 

New Monroe rear shocks, and a new belt. Nothing huge, lack of funds lately.

I go camping at least once every week, my latest trip

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.