JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep Builds (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/)
-   -   starting a 4.3 swap (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/starting-4-3-swap-1123243/)

Dre40 11-02-2010 11:28 AM

starting a 4.3 swap

Ok i going to be starting a 4.3 swap the 4.3 i got is out of an 01 chevy 1500 already have had the ECM reprogrammed. now the questions i have is.
1, Is the 2.3l fuel pump be suitable for the 4.3 or will i have to replace it?
2, Does anyone have any Schematics they are willing to share with me as far as wiring?
3, what did you use for the Power steering pump? would like to keep the original with the remote reservoir will it work or too much trouble to adapt?
4, what worked out the best as far as the exhaust what did you use as far as a Cat?
alittle about my Jeep its an 92 with a 2.3 pritty much stock with an 4" lift and 33s im putting in the 4.3 with an Sm465 tranny and 241 tc with an short SYE.
thanks..

murilstone 11-02-2010 11:43 AM

i have a 87 YJ and it has a 2002 blazer 4.3 in it.

Q1- no, the fuel pressure needed for a 4.3 is around 60 lbs if i remember correctly and i dont think the 2.3 gets even close. i put in a bosch 044 and it does well but is REALLY LOUD...annoyingly so.

Q2- i have a lot of diagrams for a 02 blazer dont know if that helps much. the biggest advice i can give here is obvious...mark and tag everything and dont cut anything until you are sure you dont need it.

Q3- the power steering swapped right over on mine...simplest part of the swap for me. but i did not have a remote reservoir so it could be different for you

Q4- i just took mine to a local shop and they built it custom from scratch. cost about 600$.

Dre40 11-02-2010 12:35 PM

ok. what about a fuel pump from a 4.0? is the bosch fuel pump external? did you change your tank from an 10gal to 20?

murilstone 11-02-2010 03:12 PM

it is my understanding that the 4.0 pump also does not put out the PSI required. the 4.3l requires a silly amount of pressure. the bosch can be used both in and out of the tank. i mounted mine outside, but if i remember correctly it uses a spacer for in the tank.
i have the 20 gallon plastic tank, but i was stupid and before i checked got a metal 10 Gal tank and it was more expensive to send it back than it was worth so it sits useless in the basement still in the box.

Dre40 11-02-2010 04:28 PM

so if you used the pump in the tank it probably would be a lot quieter..what where other issues you ran into? did you use an electric fan? and what radiator did you decide to go with?

captainauti 11-02-2010 05:16 PM

i did the swap as well. i used a pump from a 3500 pickup i had sitting here, and put it in the tank in place of the jeep pump. real easy swap over. i used the exhaust Y pipe from a 94 1500 pickup, hooked a universal cat to that, a flowmaster 40 to that, and had a custom pipe run to the back. i also used the gm power steering pump, with the jeep lines. also the radiator is off a 95 wrangler with a 4.0. cools fine, except when it was 102 with a cooler strapped to the front. put it in the rear.... prob solved. no electric fan.

murilstone 11-02-2010 05:46 PM

ya the pump in the tank would be much quieter...cant get no louder. i used an aftermarket 4 core aluminum radiator from i *think* it was called stay cool or something close to that. my biggest problem with that was that i could not find a lower hose that was just right.
i do have the electric fan on the radiator but is not hooked up yet. i have been having transmission problems (has to do with wiring ) and have not got to hooking it up and removing the clutch fan.
one other thing that comes to mind is fuel lines. you will have to upgrade the lines to the super duper stuff because of the high pressure. i made due because i had the blazers lines and i just reused those. i think the high pressure fuel injection line costs about 8$ a foot. dont let the parts guy sell you the wrong stuff you will be sorry if you do (that is experience talking there). it should say right on the hose that it will hold 110lbs of pressure. also the size is different and the 4.3 will require a larger fuel line.

Dre40 11-02-2010 05:50 PM

So a fuel pump out of a Chevy 3500? did it swap right in or did you have to do lots of mods? and do you have the 20 gal tank as well? Did you get rid of the rear O2 sensors? the guy i had reprogram my ECM removed them and also the EGR. did you keep stock exhaust man?

Dre40 11-02-2010 05:53 PM

well i got about 2' of the original lines so i could just size them up and adapt them and run them to the tank.

captainauti 11-02-2010 07:53 PM

i used my orriginal jeep efi lines, and got a short fuel hose i made up with gm fuel fittings on one side for the 4.3, and chrysler fittings on the other end to hook to the jeeps fuel lines. i dropped my tank, adapted it from a 15 to a 20 gallon tank, removed the jeep pump, added the gm pump in its place, still using the jeep sending unit, almost a direct fit. you can figure it out easily when you have the two pumps in front of you. fuel system was then complete.... took me a week to figure it out, and about 2 hours total time to do it.
i deleted the rear 2 o2's as well, and the egr. you will also need the pats system disabled. i also had my speed cut out set to 110, and the rev limiter set to 5400. it beeing a marine engine, its able to handle high rpms for prolonged time. i payed 720 with shipping to have the computer done, and my harness turned into a stand alone harness. also had them set my shift points in the auto trans for my tires and gearing.

what do you mean by stock exhaust?

Dre40 11-03-2010 06:20 AM

thats cool. Im doing my own Harness doesn't look that hard and i have the complete one out of the 1500. i was asking if you used the stock exhaust manifolds or if you got some headers?

captainauti 11-03-2010 11:55 AM

stock manifolds. to stock y pipe. fit very easily.

Dre40 12-20-2010 08:06 PM

Im starting the swap what did you guys use for the clutch slave cylinder? i have a 350 bell housing and a SM465 tranny what worked the best?

captainauti 12-21-2010 07:21 PM

im an auto... sorry no help.

Dre40 12-21-2010 07:30 PM

thats no Problem. But hay what did you use to connect the fuel pump to the lines inside the tank?

The time now is 07:07 AM.