Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Started on my hp60/14ff swap.

8K views 71 replies 10 participants last post by  canadiantj1999 
#1 ·
So, as the title states I recently started building my jeep to the next level.
Before the build I was running a hp30/8.8 axle combo with full 14" king coilovers all around on 37" mtr/k. I was very happy with this setup. I was able to navigate tons of trails around Michigan and the occasional rock pit. Had little trouble with the dana30, I know it's frowned apron, but that axle is now in another tj on 35s and still operating smoothly. So, back to the introduction. I was able to find a kingpin ford dana 60 of a 85 f350 that had been narrowed to wms of 65.5 and found a killer deal on a 14boltff wms 67.0". What I have done so far on the Dana 60 is replace the kingpins and bearings along with the knuckle. I installed a springless psc high steer arms along with a artec industries truss/ram mount. I went with Moser for my custom length axle shaft. Pure beef, the shaft measures to 1.61 all the way down to the 35 spline . I am going to gear it 5.38 with locker, not sure which one yet, I went with trail-gear gears because my friend is sponsored from them. So anything to help him keep his sponsorship. I also purchased XR series 8" double ram for the steering. So I'm sure I forgot something in the front. On the rear I went with UCF truss and pinion skid. Keep it simple. Use stock shafts and swap it to disc brakes. I'm tossing up the idea of shaving it with balistic fab kit. I made the lip gone already on the bottom and made it smooth,but I might have to mess with it more to make it mine or something. I am using a mixture of trail-gear joints and Johnny joint all around to keep the suspension bind free. But enough talk right now and here are a couple teaser photos.

I wil get more photos up when photobucket uploads them more, kinda slow Internet in middle of the jungle:thumbsup:

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah it's mini cj3a flat fender. Cool little thing. I'm building my jeep in my dads garage. And I bought a tube bender so my dad is bending up a little chassis for that using some lawn tractor parts. He's gonna sell it when he's finished with it. He'll probably make some good cash on it

Se

#5 ·
So photobucket finally got the pics uploaded. Here are some more

Here is the jeep that I've been working on also for my brother. It's all hand me downs. His jeep looks great

#8 ·
Curious on why you have the lower CO mounts very high off the axle tube? Is there a reason that isn't in the pics? Because it seems the the holes in the good could have been avoided.
Mainly I was designing on the fly, where the mounts are now I can achieve full up travel on the shock and have the truss a 1/2 from the frame. After I get the build further and on its wheels I'd like to upgrade to 16" kings and lower the mounting 2" respectfully. And it should be the same ride height after the shock change.... Any advice or direction would be great main reason why I posted my build.

#13 ·
I do. Here's my reasoning for not doing it. I will not have enough triangulation to stop side to side movement if I only triagulated the top links, so I would have to triagulate the bottom as well guarantee proper triangulation. After I swap in a v8. Possibly a 6.0 ls or a 5.0 ho. Haven't decided yet. Fortunately to change from three link with trac bar to 4 link double tri is just matter of doing it. I think it will perform well in current suspension setup.

Also.. No bump steer with full hydro

#16 ·
Yep it's prime, my buddy Randy owns the place so I use that place from time to time as a heated workshop :thumbsup:
No I never lived out that way. But I still live in midland.

Went and looked on map of where valley drive is....man some nice houses down that road huh!

#17 ·
Here is some more random photos in no particular order

With newly assembled 4 link. Hence the no paint.

After I did the RCI fuel cell install, prepping for stretch and 14bff

Here's the anchor

And the 60

And a shot of me starting into "holy moley" at Twisted trails in Copemish MI

#18 ·
Imped, to answer you more thoroughly I seriously considered doing a 4link.. I may have made a wrong choice in the time in the build but the knowledge and time that it took to do that was little overwhelming so I made the best choice possible with the choice being obvious. If I lived out in the desert area the choice would be simple. But there isn't really any go fast spots here in Michigan besides silverlake sand dunes. But it all could change with a night of drinking and a sawzall. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.