Srfnfly's 06 Rubi LJ - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Srfnfly's 06 Rubi LJ

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #76
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnfly227
I watched it first thing this morning. Another great video

Now I'm looking forward to summer time and a hopeful trip to RC. We can bring the ladies along.
Definitely. Hopefully I can get everything buttoned up from the skid and Aussie. Then it's time to test it out.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #77
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnfly227 View Post
Thanks. I would imagine I could figure it out, but that thing is heavy. Having another set of hands is going to be really helpful. I am thinking the week after Memorial Day weekend (3 weeks from now). I am sure I would be in trouble if I did any Jeep work before the wedding
That works for me, just let me know a few days in advance.
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #78
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
go get some popcorn because the video is done.

Wheelin for Hope 2012
Nice video!
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #79
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Haven't updated this in a while and figured it was just about time. My steering issues seem to be a bit better, but I am still very much looking forward to mounting the PSC steering gear. I must have gotten one of the last ones, since I saw recently that Quadratec is even listing it as discontinued now. Hopefully the quality is still there.

The only issue recently has been a clicking noise from the front right. I have no idea if the noise is related to my steering problems as the noise is completely different than the clunking I had reported earlier. I hear the clicking only when turning the steering wheel, and mainly when turning the wheel and going in reverse (backing out of a parking spot). It sounds rotational and my first guess was axle U Joints, but I haven't gotten under there to look yet. I'm hoping to get to that and the steering box next week.

On another note, I got married on May 18. The LJ was our get away vehicle and the wife wanted the top down and doors off. I got it detailed the day before and some of the pics turned out great. Here is probably my favorite so far.

My Build Thread
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #80
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

how many of my pictures are you going to use on here???

congrats on the wedding, Sarah and I had a blast. hope the honeymoon was relaxing....

just had our club meeting yesterday and there is some talk of several summer runs.

-PA jeep show (next weekend?)
-upstate NY run (August 23 ish I think)
-RC at some point
-Harlan KY

hopefully i can get the tummy tuck buttoned up by the end of the month. we need to either plan to tag along on one of the club runs or make a weekend run up to RC ourselves. We are tearing into the jeep on Friday

would also be killer to head down to Ocracoke with you guys at the end of summer.

we have a Myrtle beach trip tenatively planned for the end of July. Man, its shaping up to be a busy summer/fall. I'm itching to give the TT and aussie a work out.

As far as the u-joints go... i would just upgrade to RCV's and be done with it.... (wait, is that overkill at this point?)

U-joints should be a simple thing to replace. good place to start at least.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #81
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What can I say buddy, you take good pictures Plus, we haven't gotten our professional shots yet so I can't use any of his.

I would love to make a trip to somewhere this summer. There is a run to Rausch this weekend and a run to Crozet next weekend, but I won't make either. I should be working a lot in July so I think that is out. Hopefully we can make something happen in August. I can't wait to see your Jeep after all the work. Going to be awesome.

RCV's would be sweet, but won't happen any time soon. Especially since I have no idea if that is even the problem. I'll be trying to track it down next week.

My Build Thread
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #82
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

KMA is doing our annual Rausch Creek trip this weekend, we leave tomorrow morning and we'll be back Sunday. You guys are both more than welcome if you want to drop in!

We're doing our 5th annual beach clean on Oct. 6th in Corova NC if you'd be interested in some beach and dune wheeling.
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #83
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
KMA is doing our annual Rausch Creek trip this weekend, we leave tomorrow morning and we'll be back Sunday. You guys are both more than welcome if you want to drop in!

We're doing our 5th annual beach clean on Oct. 6th in Corova NC if you'd be interested in some beach and dune wheeling.
damn, busy both weekends. tearing into the jeep this weekend for a custom TT w/ crossmember and ill be on vacation in early Oct.

have fun this weekend. and would you take those d-rings off your bumper for christ sake...

A Hokie build

Unread 06-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #84
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
damn, busy both weekends. tearing into the jeep this weekend for a custom TT w/ crossmember and ill be on vacation in early Oct.

have fun this weekend. and would you take those d-rings off your bumper for christ sake...
Lol! Come down and wheel with me in Pungo and you'll quickly understand why I leave them on.
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #85
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
tearing into the jeep this weekend for a custom TT w/ crossmember
here is what I came up with... going to give your UA a run for its money. not nearly as light though

just need to mock up the engine skid and put the finishing touches on the t-case skid. and..... the list goes on, but it's drivable (4WD). probably another full day and a half of wrenching.
jeep-crossmember8.jpg   jeep-crossmember7.jpg   jeep-crossmember9.jpg   jeep-crossmember.jpg   jeep-crossmember10.jpg  

jeep-crossmember12.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #86
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That is looking great buddy. I have seen a few of the posts you have made in other threads and I'm really impressed. You 2 have done some awesome work

I am guessing that you haven't started the Aussie yet?

My Build Thread
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #87
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is looking great buddy. I have seen a few of the posts you have made in other threads and I'm really impressed. You 2 have done some awesome work

I am guessing that you haven't started the Aussie yet?
your assumption would be correct.

need to:
finish t-case skid
start-finish engine skid
rework rear track bar mount
cut spring perches
set pinion angle
order-install new driveshaft

then

Aussie
u-joints
pinion seal

so i'm thinking one and a half more days. one day for the skids and rear end, another few hours for the front end.

I am very happy with the crossmember and t-case position. but that damn 42RLE is so big that we couldnt tuck it up as much as the t-case. I have it just about touching the firewall too, but I knew that going into it, and I did gain a bunch of ground clearance. nothing we can really do about it though. I did have to ditch my cat so the exhaust sounds a bit different at idle. At speed there is no noticable difference. there are also some more vibes in the seat at idle from the poly bushings at the frame. If i cant get used to them, ill look around for a set of rubber ones to replace the poly with.

hopefully have it finished by the first week of July.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #88
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What control arms did you end up getting?

I would assume the coil bucket trimming is for shock clearance after rotating the pinion. With all of the welding you are already doing, have you considered moving the bottom of your shock mounts instead of trimming the buckets? Something like the Clayton lower mounts?

I think the clearance gain is awesome and wouldn't be upset at all with it being below the frame a bit. You've been wheeling with me twice since the UA and know how often I hit it. Control arm mounts and shock mounts seem to get a whole lot more abuse than the skid and that is with the longer wheel base of the LJ. You'll love that belly height with the short wheel base.

My Build Thread
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #89
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What control arms did you end up getting?

I would assume the coil bucket trimming is for shock clearance after rotating the pinion. With all of the welding you are already doing, have you considered moving the bottom of your shock mounts instead of trimming the buckets? Something like the Clayton lower mounts?

I think the clearance gain is awesome and wouldn't be upset at all with it being below the frame a bit. You've been wheeling with me twice since the UA and know how often I hit it. Control arm mounts and shock mounts seem to get a whole lot more abuse than the skid and that is with the longer wheel base of the LJ. You'll love that belly height with the short wheel base.
I used your steel currie arms and picked up some jonny joints to fit. saved me some money, so thanks

I have considered moving the shock mounts, but cutting the spring perches is a whole lot easier. I did contemplate using the currie shock extenders, but i cant help but think that would put alot of extra stress on the shock mounts. Ill grind the perches and if thats not enough i can always cut the shock mounts off and reweld them at the correct angle.

I have no doubt ill be happy with the belly clearance. i just had illusions of a flat skid.
jeep-crossmember13.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 09-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #90
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ needs to be your av, awesome pic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.