Srfnfly's 06 Rubi LJ - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Srfnfly's 06 Rubi LJ

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #61
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Update from April 19:

Well I picked the Jeep up yesterday afternoon. I drove it the 40 miles home from the shop and can say that it definitely feels different. They did a front end alignment and discovered that my front passenger camber is -1.2 degrees. That got me thinking, and about 10 last night I remembered an accident I was in back in October 2007. A woman decided to speed through an intersection from the right turn lane and then tried to merge in to my lane while in the intersection. She clipped my front passenger side. It is literally making me sick thinking that an accident from that long ago may be giving me a problem now. Of course I have no way to prove that the camber problem was caused by the accident and not offroading or something else. I guess I get to live with that one.

So on to the steering. Synergy Ball Joints and Timken axle bearing and hub assemblies were switched in. The toe was adjusted and the steering wheel was straightened out also. It is hard to say yet whether or not I feel like the problem is gone. In the last week, I drove about 600 miles in a Kia Optima and have to get used to the Jeep again. At the very least, I can say that it is not pulling to the right as bad as before. In fact it is just barely noticeable now. Synergy also says that there is essentially a break in period on the ball joints so I will hold any judgement until I get back from wheeling this weekend. 600 miles on the highway and 40+ miles of trail riding ought to settle things in. I do still believe there is slop in the steering box. My new box is still showing "To Drop Shipper" on Quadratec. I may still adjust my current box, but not before the weekend.

For now, I am curious how the Jeep will handle the trip and whether or not we notice any problems on the trails. I figure I will have plenty of people to give a look and plenty of Jeeps to compare anything to. Thanks again everyone and as always, any new ideas are welcome.

My Build Thread
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #62
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well I have been driving for a few weeks on the new ball joints and wheel/unit bearings/hubs (whatever they are called). First impression was actually kind of weird. My Jeep literally felt like it was vibrating straight up and down. That was intermittent for the first 2-300 miles and has completely vanished now. I have read that the Synergy ball joints need a little time to settle in, so maybe that was what was going on.

Pretty much the first thing I did after getting the new parts installed and getting an alignment was go on a wheeling trip. Another drive out to Oak Ridge for Wheelin 4 Hope (pictures to follow). I was really happy with the highway ride again. We were doing anywhere from 50-75 depending on what my brother's Jeep could handle. He pretty much pushes his pedal to the floor and his tired little 4 cylinder does what it wants The first day of the trip was great. High 70s and sunny the whole time we wheeled. Within 10 minutes of getting back to camp, the storms started and they continued through 2 days later. Day 2 was cut really short. The only benefit to the rain was how much a 250 mile drive in pouring rain will clean mud off the Jeep

Time for some pictures

My Build Thread
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #63
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnfly227 View Post
Well I have been driving for a few weeks on the new ball joints and wheel/unit bearings/hubs (whatever they are called). First impression was actually kind of weird. My Jeep literally felt like it was vibrating straight up and down. That was intermittent for the first 2-300 miles and has completely vanished now. I have read that the Synergy ball joints need a little time to settle in, so maybe that was what was going on.

Pretty much the first thing I did after getting the new parts installed and getting an alignment was go on a wheeling trip. Another drive out to Oak Ridge for Wheelin 4 Hope (pictures to follow). I was really happy with the highway ride again. We were doing anywhere from 50-75 depending on what my brother's Jeep could handle. He pretty much pushes his pedal to the floor and his tired little 4 cylinder does what it wants The first day of the trip was great. High 70s and sunny the whole time we wheeled. Within 10 minutes of getting back to camp, the storms started and they continued through 2 days later. Day 2 was cut really short. The only benefit to the rain was how much a 250 mile drive in pouring rain will clean mud off the Jeep

Time for some pictures
I'm glad your steering problems appear to have gone away. Are you gonna make it to Starr Motors off road day this upcomming Saturday?
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #64
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I'm glad your steering problems appear to have gone away. Are you gonna make it to Starr Motors off road day this upcomming Saturday?
I wouldn't say "gone away" quite yet. I think the work already done got rid of most of the wobble. I'm really happy with that aspect. However, the front end still seems to like to go wherever it wants. When I hit an expansion joint/overpass/bump in the road/etc, it just feels like the tires are very easily pushed in whatever direction the road points them. I am hoping the PSC box will help with that, but I just haven't had the chance to get it installed. Want to give a guy a hand?

As for Starr, I would love to make it. Unfortunately I will be out of town again this weekend. Third straight working weekend Then again, at least I am working. My next wheeling weekend won't be until June at the earliest. Working this weekend, getting married next weekend, honeymoon through the following weekend. Let me know when KMA has something going on though. I'll try to meet up when I can.

My Build Thread
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #65
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

And the pictures. First a panoramic of the staging area.

A different shot of almost the same view.

Out of all the pictures that I have seen of the weekend, this is my favorite.

Pretty much caught up on the trailer hitch. I am going to get that thing off one of these days and replace the rear bumper with something for better clearance.

It was my bachelor party, so pink was a theme.

Headed over to CJ5 hill. I went up open front again this year. Next year I will try it open both ends.

Let the rain begin. This was just before 2 of the easy ups went flying.

One of the legs on the easy up came down through my tent after it went flying. Nice little gash. Another easy up went for a flight and came down on the hood of my Jeep. 2 nice dents and an 18 inch long scratch.

We moved our tents under the food tent after they had packed up the raffle. Nobody minded and we stayed dry.

Woke up to this on day 2. Somewhere there is video of me driving to the staging area with the balloons still attached.

Group shots

I like these also.

And some parking lot maintenance. My brother had a squeaky rear driveshaft and it turned out to have 0 bearings left in a u joint cap. Probably pretty lucky that he removed it before we drove home.

My Build Thread
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #66
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Saturday was definitaly a good time, sunday was lame, but enabled me to get home for a birthday party. Hopefully i can get the video finished up this week. (including the ballon clip)

its funny, i almost dont want to lock the front of mine, just to show you up.....

planning my tummy tuck now. custom crossmember and skids, SYE w/ DC shaft, control arms, Novak, etc. fingers crossed, but i'm hoping to get it within 1" of the frame. were planning on tearing into it in June/July timeframe, hopefully have everthing fabed up and mounted for a trip to Rausch in August.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #67
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great wheeling pictures ! I did not know that Synergy offered ball joints for anything other than the JKs ? Good to know as that is an upcoming project .

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #68
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
Saturday was definitaly a good time, sunday was lame, but enabled me to get home for a birthday party. Hopefully i can get the video finished up this week. (including the ballon clip)

its funny, i almost dont want to lock the front of mine, just to show you up.....

planning my tummy tuck now. custom crossmember and skids, SYE w/ DC shaft, control arms, Novak, etc. fingers crossed, but i'm hoping to get it within 1" of the frame. were planning on tearing into it in June/July timeframe, hopefully have everthing fabed up and mounted for a trip to Rausch in August.
It was a great trip all around buddy. Thanks for coming and for the great pictures. I can't wait to see the video. Did my brother ever get you his pictures? I am guessing no, since I don't see them on the Shutterfly account.

And with the way your tires performed, show me up you will. Those MTRs are my next tire for sure. Either the 315 on my current rim or a set of 35s on 17" rims. Not sure yet.

Can't wait to see the TT. That should help you out even more. Mine has been my favorite mod to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Great wheeling pictures! I did not know that Synergy offered ball joints for anything other than the JKs ? Good to know as that is an upcoming project .
Thanks. I credit jeepinhokie for the pictures. Steve has a great eye with a camera. He will also be making another video that I am sure will be great. His other videos are really well done. Hopefully he will have pictures from a few other cameras before he finishes up the video. The problem with being the photographer is that he doesn't have any pictures of his own Jeep for the video.

Synergy has been making the TJ ball joints for a few months now. No real long term reports yet, and most people will still recommend the Spicer joints, but I thought I would give them a try. So far I like them, but I honestly am not sure that I would know if I didn't. Hopefully they make it for a few years.

My Build Thread
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #69
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I wouldn't say "gone away" quite yet. I think the work already done got rid of most of the wobble. I'm really happy with that aspect. However, the front end still seems to like to go wherever it wants. When I hit an expansion joint/overpass/bump in the road/etc, it just feels like the tires are very easily pushed in whatever direction the road points them. I am hoping the PSC box will help with that, but I just haven't had the chance to get it installed. Want to give a guy a hand?

As for Starr, I would love to make it. Unfortunately I will be out of town again this weekend. Third straight working weekend Then again, at least I am working. My next wheeling weekend won't be until June at the earliest. Working this weekend, getting married next weekend, honeymoon through the following weekend. Let me know when KMA has something going on though. I'll try to meet up when I can.
I'll give you a hand with your steering box, let me know when you want to work on it? I have only done the older style steering box replacement, but yours shouldn't be to much different.
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #70
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

a few more pictures from wheelin for hope from your brother.
wheelin-hope14.jpg   wheelin-hope15.jpg   wheelin-hope16.jpg   wheelin-hope17.jpg   wheelin-hope18.jpg  

wheelin-hope19.jpg   wheelin-hope11.jpg   wheelin-hope1.jpg   wheelin-hope7.jpg   wheelin-hope20.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #71
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

here are the pictures from Tim...

A Hokie build

Unread 05-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #72
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I'll give you a hand with your steering box, let me know when you want to work on it? I have only done the older style steering box replacement, but yours shouldn't be to much different.
Thanks. I would imagine I could figure it out, but that thing is heavy. Having another set of hands is going to be really helpful. I am thinking the week after Memorial Day weekend (3 weeks from now). I am sure I would be in trouble if I did any Jeep work before the wedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
Thanks buddy. Yours are better Now go get that video finished up

My Build Thread
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #73
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks buddy. Yours are better Now go get that video finished up
well I appreciate actually seeing some pictures of me. believe it or not, these are some of the only pictures i have of myself. like you said before, i cant take pictures of myself and wheel at the same time. I have plans to get the video finalized tonight and posted to Vimeo (hopefully)

ill post a link when that happens.

8 Days and counting.........

A Hokie build

Unread 05-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #74
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

go get some popcorn because the video is done.

Wheelin for Hope 2012

A Hokie build

Unread 05-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #75
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I watched it first thing this morning. Another great video

Now I'm looking forward to summer time and a hopeful trip to RC. We can bring the ladies along.

My Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.