Srfnfly's 06 Rubi LJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Srfnfly's 06 Rubi LJ

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #31
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

looking good man. how did the Currie MML go?

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #32
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
looking good man. how did the Currie MML go?
Thanks. Overall it went pretty good. Not nearly as big a PITA as I was expecting. I wish we had been in my sister's garage so that I could have put the front brace of the UnderArmor on, but I'll get to that this weekend. In fact, I'm planning to get to the Novak on Friday and then hopefully the brakes Sunday and UA Sunday or Monday. We'll see how it plays out.

If I get that stuff done, I'll only have the CB left. I just PM'd Eddie (Besrk) about a CB Antenna Mount. I haven't found one I really like, so I'm hoping he has an idea or design. Jeep's coming together. I can't wait for Oak Ridge.

My Build Thread
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #33
BigBeen05LJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

nice build
BigBeen05LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 02:34 AM   #34
PonyExp305

Looks good but I prefer 35" tires..Oak Ridge Mtns seems rough trails?
()_) ()_) ---- )_)........()_)--- ) ()_) ---- )_)
PonyExp305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #35
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeen05LJ View Post
nice build
Thank you much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExp305 View Post
Looks good but I prefer 35" tires..Oak Ridge Mtns seems rough trails?
Thanks. I would have loved 35s, but feel that without regearing, I may have been unhappy with the power. With the skinny 33s, I can barely tell a difference over stock.

Oak Ridge isn't overly tough. I have been 2 years in a row with my stock Rubi and most people there are on 33s. There are definitely more challenging trails in VA, but Oak ridge is a lot of fun. I can't wait to pack up the Jeep on Friday for the drive up.

My Build Thread
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #36
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Update on the Jeep since it has been a while. I spent a long time trying to get the UnderArmor on and came across a few issues that I wasn't expecting. I had contact with the fan and fan shroud (have found out that is normal). I redrilled the holes in the shroud and dropped it about 1/4". It clears now, but not by as much as I would like. I also have very solid contact at the tail pipe of the exhaust. My exhaust is being held up against the bottom of the frame. Even with disconnecting the rear 2 hangars, I have to pull down pretty hard on the tail pipe to get any space there. Little frustrating, but still very happy with how everything went together. My theory on why I have exhaust clearance problems is that the hangar on the transmission mount is just too high. The added length on the Unlimited causes the rear end to be raised too high. I can't back this up, but somehow I bet the TJ and the LJ have the same hangar. That leaves the tail end of the pipe lifting higher on an Unlimited since it is longer after the hangar. I could be completely wrong though and I know Blaine has said that the exhaust on TJs is one of the most inconsistent and frustrating things on a Jeep. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

All that said, I finally dropped the Jeep off at Starr Motors again. They did my tires and JJ Front Housing and I was very impressed with them. I would have loved to keep working on it myself, but I just flat out ran out of time. Hurricane Irene kept me from working on it the last few days and now I am away on a work trip till Thursday. I leave Friday afternoon for the trail ride so it was time to get a shop to finish things up. They are taking care of a few things:

- Adjust the Novak Cable Shifter. I currently can not get the Jeep to stay in 4LO. I know the jam nuts on the body bracket are still loose and I don't have tools that will fit in the spaces.

- Install Spidertrax

- Install steering stabilizer (they have it at the shop so may as well have them do it)

- Set rear pinion angle.

- Fix my exhaust clearance.

- Finish the installation of the Savvy UnderArmor. Including checking for adequate clearance above the transfer case (I dimpled, but maybe not enough) and mounting my locker pumps somewhere.

- Fix a rattle I have while in reverse. It sounds like it is metal on metal and from the front end somewhere, but it only happens in reverse. Not sure what I think that would be.

My Build Thread
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #37
sprezie
2004 WJ 

almost there
sprezie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #38
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprezie View Post
almost there
Haha. That I am. It's been a long road getting here, but when I pick up the Jeep all I will have left is mounting my CB and Antenna. Well that and the brakes, but they will have to wait till the fall. I'm not terribly disappointed with the performance of the stock brakes. The CB I will get done Thursday morning or Friday morning before driving up to Oak Ridge.

My Build Thread
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #39
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well I hope to be picking the Jeep up from the shop today, but it looks like it will probably be tomorrow. Not particularly happy about it, but at least everything will be finished up. As I am stuck in a hotel room, thought I would update a bit.

During the initial install, I felt as if the shocks were too short so I talked to Gerald and he sent me out the shocks that are supposed to go with the 4" kit. Seeing as how both kits use the same bumpstop, I can't see how the shocks won't work. The original shocks allowed for a little less than 2 inches of down travel. These pictures are taken at normal ride height with weight on the wheels.

I didn't take pictures of the new shocks, but they give about 3 extra inches of down travel. By my math, I should have between 1/4 and 1/2 inches of up travel left at full bump. Seems like the perfect shock.

I have also started the UnderArmor installation. Good bye stock shovel. Clearance before was 14.5".

After pictures to come as soon as I have the Jeep back from the shop. I'll also have wheeling pictures after the weekend.

My Build Thread
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #40
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wow those shocks are really short. What site advertised those for a 4" lift?
4wdjeepguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #41
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Those are the shocks that Rancho recommends for a 2.5" lift. The front shocks work out pretty good, just the rear were short in my opinion.

My Build Thread
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #42
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wow I am bad at keeping this thread updated. I picked the Jeep up from Starr Motors in Suffolk, VA on Thursday September 1. I could not be happier with their work. They took care of all issues and came in way under what I was expecting to pay. I highly recommend this shop to anybody in the area.

I had them adjust the pinion angle by bringing in the lowers. I had them set pretty long and it was starting to look like I would have some clearance issues back there. Sure enough, they still had to trim the rear lower coil bucket. They contacted my shocks at full droop.

Exhaust was taken care of with a pry bar and adjusting the hangar right in front of the rear wheel. No more contact anywhere.

Reverse rattle was my exhaust hitting my front upper control arm mount/bolt/something. The adjustments they made also cleared that up.

The UnderArmor looks awesome and the locker pumps are now bolted to the rearmost crossmember and frame. Just two simple brackets and they are now up and out of the way. Looks great.

Wheeling trip went better than I could have imagined. The suspension improved the ride more than I can explain. I was so sick of the body sway whenever I hit a bump, and this smoothed it out almost completely. I always felt in control while on climbs, descents, and especially offcamber spots. I love the AntiRock Oh, and the clearance gained with the UA is unbelievable. I had people constantly commenting about how I drove over things without scraping at all. It was amazing after all those years of wheeling completely stock. That shovel sucked.

Sadly though, 2 of my Johnny Joints blew in the rear. Axle end of both rear uppers. Apparently they had a manufacturing defect around the time I got mine so Gerald is shipping me 2 new ones. It's annoying that I will have to fix it already, but I guess it could be worse.

I'm off to finally clean it out from the trip. Wheeled with the doors off so there is a bit of mud pretty much everywhere it can get. I'll get my after picture after I wash it and post that up. I'll also have the action shots as soon as I get the good ones from my buddies camera. Can't wait to see those.

My Build Thread
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #43
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lee,

i posted the pictures from Oak Ridge on my shutterfly account

check my videos link below for the video from Oak Ridge. its not finished yet, i'm hoping to get it done tonight. maybe...

A Hokie build

Unread 09-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #44
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Steve, thank you for the pictures. Some really good ones in there And I can't wait to see the video so hurry up

Time to post up some picture updates.

Here is the final stance. I am really happy with it. Just over 17 inches of belly clearance on 33s.

After the Spidertrax. This is the Rubicon fender flare with 255/85 tires (33x10.5) on the stock Moab rim and a 1.25" wheel spacer. The tires are centered, it is just the angle the photos were taken from.

The UnderArmor doesn't come with a provision for locker pumps, so I had Starr Motors make a very simple bracket. The pumps are almost in the stock location so there was no modification needed to hoses, wires, etc.

I finally have a steering stabilizer. I'm also very happy with the Currie Steering.

My brother and I made this CB antenna mount. It is a piece of aluminum cut down to fit behind the spare tire and bolted right to the stock spare tire carrier. I got a CB shop to tune it and got really good numbers. In fact, the owner of the shop was pretty impressed.

My Build Thread
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #45
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

post some of the wheeling pics already!

A Hokie build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.