Srfnfly's 06 Rubi LJ - Page 15 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 227 Old 04-01-2015, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Non related Jeep update.

For the last 5 years, my wife and I have been very involved with a local charity. YAAA!, or Young Adults for Alzheimer's Awareness, has basically been the same core group of about 8 of us with a few others that have come and gone over the years. Well this past Saturday was our annual Black Tie Bowling. This is our big fundraiser for the year and the dress for the event is black tie on top and anything goes on bottom. Amy and I didn't exactly follow those rules this year, but it was because we had a little announcement to make to some good friends.

We are expecting our first little one to join the family on or around September 24.

Savvy 3" Springs, 4 Link rear with outboarded shocks, Savvy UnderArmor, 255/85R16 Toyo M/T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 227 Old 04-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnfly227 View Post

We are expecting our first little one to join the family on or around September 24.
Congratulations. In case you were concerned kids and Jeeps get along just fine. We have made numerous Jeeping vacations with our two kids in the LJ.

My only advice is to wait a couple of years before taking the kids on rough trails. Some reading that i did some time back indicates that if the wheeling is too rough, it could be similar to shaken baby syndrome.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
post #213 of 227 Old 04-01-2015, 09:51 AM
jeepinhokie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats again man.

HOKIES UNITED!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #214 of 227 Old 09-15-2015, 08:10 AM
jeepster1407
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hey bud any updates? It's getting down to the wire with the baby now! Congrats!

_________
My Thread -
post #215 of 227 Old 09-19-2015, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster1407 View Post
Hey bud any updates? It's getting down to the wire with the baby now! Congrats!
Thank you. And yes we are. Due date is next Thursday and we are both ready. It's been a long nine months.

As for updates, I've been meaning to get one put up for a while now. I took some pictures last week and just haven't had time to post them up.

I'm still loving the rear suspension overall and I'm still delayed on getting to the front. Both the on road and off road ride have drastically improved with the work that was done. I need to move the lower shock mounts slightly to regain some down travel. My original plan had been to squeeze out an extra inch of up travel for an even split up/down. That is how the mounts were set up. After wheeling though, I've decided that I'd prefer to gain some droop. I'm at 5 up right now when the bumpstop is completely compressed. I'll leave it that way and take full advantage of the 6 down that these shocks will allow.

Some pictures of the final results. First, the achieved lift height followed by a close up showing how much shock travel I use during every day driving. Springs sit at exactly 11", or 3" over stock. The shocks are a little tough to see, but the clean shaft on the shock shows about 3" of usage. My bumpstops are 4.5" apart with the soft top on, so I'm not anywhere close to using all of the available travel.

Now the exhaust routing. Oceana Muffler did an amazing job running this. It's a Dynomax muffler, cocked just slightly so that I can get to the bolts on the upper control arm mount. The bends around the arms clear everything with room to spare.

And some random shots of the mounts. The axle end of my lowers are slightly lower than mid axle. They are as high as they can be while keeping the lower arms from making contact with my frame at full stuff. You can also see how much I scraped along on my mounts and arms on the Wheelin 4 Hope trip back in April. I'm trying to get some pictures of that.

Savvy 3" Springs, 4 Link rear with outboarded shocks, Savvy UnderArmor, 255/85R16 Toyo M/T

post #216 of 227 Old 02-22-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's been a while since my last update, I finally have something to add to the thread. I had a buddy come over yesterday to help me install the MORE motor mounts that I got for Christmas. I had asked for these because I thought I was getting a lot of play in my stock mounts and because I needed to remove them anyway to grind down my Savvy MML block. I'd had contact since day one of installing the UA and 4 and half years later, I figured it was finally time to fix it. Thought this was going to be a pretty simple job, as being my Jeep, it was anything but.

Started by loosening the bolts at the crossmember and the transmission mount. That's when I found the rubber in the crossmember needs to be replaced. So apparently that would be some of the cause of the driveline play that I felt. I'm pretty sure Savvy uses control arm bushings for this, but I'll try to get in touch with them this week to verify that. I needed to talk to them about my old springs anyway, so I'll just add this to the list.

Pictures of the mounts. The passenger side is worse than the driver's side.

Next we moved up to the front and started removing stuff. Stock mounts don't appear to be in bad shape, but they are almost 10 years old and have been through some abuse. Pics of the stock mounts installed. You can see the contact point on the lift block on the passenger side.

post #217 of 227 Old 02-22-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Once we got the old mounts out, I remembered that we would have to cut down the attached screw in order to make it work with the Savvy MML block. I had completely forgotten about this step. Oh well. Next, we hit the lift block with a grinder. Not going to get any more contact there. It took us a little over an hour to get the bolts through the new mounts. Things just weren't lining up well, but we got it done.

Once they were installed, I checked for clearance everywhere and found that the entire engine is almost a half inch higher than it was. Clearance between the fan blades and shroud used to be really tight and now I can fit my whole finger in the gap.

New Mounts

Savvy MML Block shaved down

MORE mounts installed

post #218 of 227 Old 03-20-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sad to say that death wobble has found it's way to my Jeep. Happened a few times recently, so I decided a refresh was in order for the front end. I had some Jeep money set aside for 35s, but it looks like tires will be waiting another year.

Lots of parts and an almost torn down front axle:

post #219 of 227 Old 03-25-2016, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So the refresh is done, short of tweaking the alignment a bit. I installed new Spicer ball joints, Revolution front shafts, extended brake lines, and a 16" Vanco kit. My new unit bearings are lost in the mail somewhere, so we ground down my current ones and reinstalled until the new ones show up.

Revolution shaft vs stock shaft. My stock shafts have never been out and the U joints are original. 10 years and 64,000 miles, but they still moved around freely.

The refreshed Currie steering. All new TREs, including the drag link end which is where I think most of my problems were coming from.

New Vanco rotor vs stock. This is the 16" kit.

post #220 of 227 Old 03-25-2016, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Grinding down the unit bearings. All four corners up on jack stands, engine running, 4 low, lockers engaged. We just held the grinder in place and let the turning axle do the work.

post #221 of 227 Old 03-25-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

And fully installed. The brakes are incredible. They are honestly boarding on too good for 33s. I can lock up the tires pretty easily and that is on dry roads. It is good to know that I am well set up for 35s or 37s now though.

post #222 of 227 Old 03-29-2016, 05:27 PM
jeepinhokie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Still jealous.

HOKIES UNITED!

post #223 of 227 Old 04-20-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So I've been a bit busy with life lately and haven't been around the forums much. Been checking out a few threads, but not posting a lot and that left this thread undated. Big Update today is that the 3 link is done and the Jeep is driving great

I decided that there was no way that I was going to get to this project any time soon so I talked to a local dealership about doing the work for me. They have an off road shop in house and a course on their property. The service manager quoted me a good price and said it would take a week, so I committed and dropped it off. Long story, but it ended up taking a bit longer than that and I finally picked it up last night. Flexed it out on their RTI to check clearances and everything looks good. I have a few tweaks I'd like them to make, but all in all, I'm really happy to have it done and off my plate.

Pictar Time ;D

Up on the lift. Way better than on jack stands in the garage.

Axle out for clean up and link bridge install.

Lower tacked in place.

Custom upper mount. No Interference with the driveshaft, but not as much vertical separation as I'd like to have seen.

post #224 of 227 Old 04-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So far, so good. Glad to see you didn't skip the brake upgrade like most do (myself included). Now that I'm running 37s, I can't get the Vanco kit installed soon enough. I'm all go and no whoa!

My build:
post #225 of 227 Old 04-20-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz View Post
So far, so good. Glad to see you didn't skip the brake upgrade like most do (myself included). Now that I'm running 37s, I can't get the Vanco kit installed soon enough. I'm all go and no whoa!
Brake upgrade is amazing and I'm glad to have it, but it came out of a need to replace the steering knuckle. Passenger's side was reemed out from overtorquing the steering TRE. TREs were worn and I wasn't replacing them only to have the knuckle destroy a new one.

Rebuilding the steering and front axle took my tire money. 35s will wait another year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.