Spider LJ - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Spider LJ

Black Rhino Off Road Wheels + Free ShippingThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #76
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I could be just a bit Bias, But I would choose Rokmen for most of anything.

Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #77
Cotton
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
x2 for Rokmen. Everything I have that is Rokmen has been awesome. Besides they are Colorado based and you can just go pick up your parts in Denver and not wait!
Unread 10-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #78
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo2aY View Post

I know that currie came out with the Johnny Joint but from what I understand Tera took the same design and made it better!
Tera uses their own joint and I can assure you it's not up to JJ level. There's a reason the top suspension guys don't try to do their own joints....they use JJ's. Rokmen, Clayton, Poly, and a couple others. I've heard the Tera joints are so-so on ROF and that's about it....several of those guys have replaced their Tera joints with JJ's. There really is no reason to look for anything better....you won't find it.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #79
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Was your JK shop built or did you build it yourself?
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #80
red88MJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

hahaha that video was great I've never seen a body mount bolt come out that effortlessly they must have skipped over the swearing and pounding step!

As for lifts how high are you planing on going? Thats really going to tell you what parts you will need other then just lower control arms, springs and shocks. 2.5" you can probably get away with just whats on that list, any bigger your looking at more parts. 2.5" might even benifit from a front track bar (but its hard to find one that wont contact anything at that lift hight) and possibly even a rear track bar relocation bracket to center the axles better.

MY LJ BUILD... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/new-project-1066918/
red88MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #81
YellowRocket
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Beautiful
YellowRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #82
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton_4x4 View Post
x2 for Rokmen. Everything I have that is Rokmen has been awesome. Besides they are Colorado based and you can just go pick up your parts in Denver and not wait!
they sure make some good stuff.. I will visit their shop sometime for some bumpers probably maybe something custom?

again this Jeep is a daily driver. and although I'm overkilling it with 37s and JK axles. but that's the stance i'm after. it wont see as much of the offroad as the big JK will. not because of capabilities but rather efficiency. i'm sure some of you would relate to the above statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Tera uses their own joint and I can assure you it's not up to JJ level. There's a reason the top suspension guys don't try to do their own joints....they use JJ's. Rokmen, Clayton, Poly, and a couple others. I've heard the Tera joints are so-so on ROF and that's about it....several of those guys have replaced their Tera joints with JJ's. There really is no reason to look for anything better....you won't find it.
you know, tomorrow (or today since it's past midnight) I'm going to my shop to see if they have any in stock. I'm replacing all CAs lowers and uppers. for now I just need lower rears to correct the pinion angle after the TT. I hope they have them in stock. I really don't like to wait. want to compare both and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Was your JK shop built or did you build it yourself?
and why does that matter? lol

both. anything welding. i didn't touch. other than that, it was all me

Quote:
Originally Posted by red88MJ View Post
hahaha that video was great I've never seen a body mount bolt come out that effortlessly they must have skipped over the swearing and pounding step!

As for lifts how high are you planing on going? Thats really going to tell you what parts you will need other then just lower control arms, springs and shocks. 2.5" you can probably get away with just whats on that list, any bigger your looking at more parts. 2.5" might even benifit from a front track bar (but its hard to find one that wont contact anything at that lift hight) and possibly even a rear track bar relocation bracket to center the axles better.
well really I just want it as low as possible without jeopardizing up travel. so I think 2.5" lift and 1" body is Ideal for 37s and a highline.

I think what you posted is important. I don't want to add parts that I don't need.

but I would like to add the currie sway bar system front and rear! not sure if it would work with a low lift like that.

so I have an update.

6 hours to get the BL in. had some issues with some of the bolts almost stripping due to rust. busted out the Pb blaster and it worked it's magic. the front peg didn't line up so it took me a while to figure it out. also forgot to add the radiator support brackets. so had to loosen up all bolts and lift the body up slightly and install them. I need to get self tapping screws because apparently Tera forgot to throw those in

next was the pain in the *** ML. well I followed the instructions for this one. and since it's really tight in the engine bay. I had to remove the motor mount and bracket that ties into the block (that's the drivers side). i would say it took me a good hour to get that side out. I stopped there.

tomorrow I will finish the ML and TT. and hopefully could drive it tomorrow night!

Also picking up a Traxx adapter tomorrow.

Thanks

Luai

LJ Build thread - Spider

TJ Build thread - Chinook

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Brute Build thread (soon)
Quote:
This hobby is not about who can shop the best, it's about creating things that did not exist before. It's about giving a machine a soul and making it an extention of your persona.

There is always someone who can spend more than you can. Don't measure your self worth against others. You can create, you can be fast and you can fail. It's all part of life.
Lo2aY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #83
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Currie sway bars will work and will kick ***. Just cut the threaded rod to get the sway bar ends at a good angle if you have to.
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #84
Mopar Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo2aY View Post
...maybe something custom?
Like this?

Unread 10-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #85
Stanky Dawg
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You've got a bad a$$ jeep !
Stanky Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #86
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got the jeep out of the garage. Finished the body lift and motor lift. Also installed the belly up and new wheels. Jeep should have came like this from the factory with a name like "black rock" or something. It looks really nice

Now to the problems. Well I didn't install the control arms because I'm super tired and need to get some rest. I put a big *** dent on the oil pan. That needs to be replaced. Also one of the bolts that hold the engine puk on the bottom sidenwill not go in any further. Tried lifting the engine again to get it going but no luck.

Tomorrow I need to figure out how to do the control arms. Since I only have one floor Jack and 3 stands. Don't know how I can shift the pinion angle to match. So I need to do some math and thinking.

I know you guys want pics. I'll have those tomorrow. I hope I never have todo an ML ever again. What a pain in the ***

Luai

LJ Build thread - Spider

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Quote:
This hobby is not about who can shop the best, it's about creating things that did not exist before. It's about giving a machine a soul and making it an extention of your persona.

There is always someone who can spend more than you can. Don't measure your self worth against others. You can create, you can be fast and you can fail. It's all part of life.
Unread 10-15-2010, 05:36 AM   #87
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looking GREAT!

It amazes me how much TIME you put into the jeep, you've been doing this work for 10 days or so, and have done more then I have been able to in 2 years. Can't wait to see it finished.

Subscribed!

"Real men hide their feelings, WHY?!
BECAUSE IT’S NONE OF YOUR ****** BUSINESS!!!!
Men do not cry. Men do not pout. Men jack you in the ******* jaw and say…thanks for comin’ out." - Boondock Saints II
JeepDVL45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #88
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

All of those motor mount bolts need to be good and tight.....do whatever it takes. I've also done a MML solo and it was a GIANT PITA. Like you, I never want to do that again.
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #89
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Truss kit showed up ( I'm at ups) picking it up

The jeep is at the shop right now because I screwed the oil pan up. So the jeep needs a new one. Dropped it off and should have it back some time next week! I'm frustrated. Wish I would have avoided this. But oh well, learn something new everyday.

Decides to stick with Teraflex for many reasons. Mainly is because I never had issues with my jk kit and I wheel it hard. So I got all flex arms. Which came out to be more than the curries.

Jeep has a small vibration because I didn't set the pinion angle for the rear. I'll do that once I have it back.

I'll test fit the trusses on my axles to make sure they fit and everything is good.

Stay tuned.

LJ Build thread - Spider

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Quote:

Unread 10-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #90
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Currie sway bars will work and will kick ***. Just cut the threaded rod to get the sway bar ends at a good angle if you have to.
Right on. I'm thinking bat doing their system for sure I. The rear. For the front I'm considering Curries or Tera dual rate sb system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fan View Post
Like this?

Bumpers no interest in a cage now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanky Dawg View Post
You've got a bad a$$ jeep !
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDVL45 View Post
Looking GREAT!

It amazes me how much TIME you put into the jeep, you've been doing this work for 10 days or so, and have done more then I have been able to in 2 years. Can't wait to see it finished.

Subscribed!
Thanks. Although I'm spending way too much money right now. But it will be cheaper down the road.

Quote:
All of those motor mount bolts need to be good and tight.....do whatever it takes. I've also done a MML solo and it was a GIANT PITA. Like you, I never want to do that again.
I hear yea. Yea one of those nuts that go into the motor lift puk will not move. It started but then will not thread in all the way because it's contacting the bracket that goes to the block I think. So I have all sorts of vibration going on :s

I can't rant enough about this. Lol

LJ Build thread - Spider

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.