Speedbuckets ZJ build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Speedbuckets ZJ build

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #46
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
Nice build man, love the custom arms you have setup now. Only question I have is are you planning to protect those front lowers somehow, I mean they look super beefy but I'd just be a little worried about them hanging down so low. Besides that nice setup man!
Thanks for commenting/ checking my thread out.
The lowers are really deceiving as far as how low they are.
1. They are long as crap(43-44" long)
2. Everything else is higher than norma(231 swap and I built the new tranny mount with a lift, t case is above normal height by 1". And my rear links are much higher. I can put a flat skid from crossmember to cross member and clear the case
3. They are set in a few inches for better handling characteristics .normally the lowers are put to the bottom of the frame rail and are down 1.5" to bolt center. I am inward 4" and down 1.75" from frame. Gives better handling numbers and better protection. The other kits with the mounts directly under frame rail put them directly in the tire path=a lot more abuse.

I'm really happy with it, once I get these 14" bilsteins fabbed in up front she will really shine.

Unread 11-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #47
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post

Thanks for commenting/ checking my thread out.
The lowers are really deceiving as far as how low they are.
1. They are long as crap(43-44" long)
2. Everything else is higher than norma(231 swap and I built the new tranny mount with a lift, t case is above normal height by 1". And my rear links are much higher. I can put a flat skid from crossmember to cross member and clear the case
3. They are set in a few inches for better handling characteristics .normally the lowers are put to the bottom of the frame rail and are down 1.5" to bolt center. I am inward 4" and down 1.75" from frame. Gives better handling numbers and better protection. The other kits with the mounts directly under frame rail put them directly in the tire path=a lot more abuse.

I'm really happy with it, once I get these 14" bilsteins fabbed in up front she will really shine.
No problem man! You've got a nice truck for sure! That's good it's outta the way of the tires line. I'm sure it rides better. You got any videos of it in action man? If you do you should for sure post em!

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #48
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
No problem man! You've got a nice truck for sure! That's good it's outta the way of the tires line. I'm sure it rides better. You got any videos of it in action man? If you do you should for sure post em!

I have about a days worth of tweaking and tooling to get it ready to wheel. I have tested the rear out (left front sway connected) and I definetly need to inboard some longer shocks in the spring time. The 10" shocks hit their limit very quickly. Its still better than most flex wise but this thing will be downright ridiculous once I get the long travels fabbed in front and rear.
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #49
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Finally cut and welded bungs into my rear uppers to get the rubber off the frame side and mounted axle side.

I wanted to stick with the theme of using jeep factory rubber everywhere and nobody makes threaded ends that accept, so....challenge accepted!
i ordered some more factory jeep turned dom bushing shells from IRO, bought some 1.25"x12tpi bungs from ruffstuff, and two 1.25 x 12 tpi grade 8 bolts from fastenal. I coped the head of the bolt out to accept the bushing shell to make the end.

then i would just cut the welded bushing end off the upper arm and weld in the bung right? never as easy as it seems
These were some rustys long arms I had. rustys says on their site their arms are 2" od .250" wall Dom. Once I cut the bushing shells off I realized they were actually .188 wall. Rustys strikes again.could be older arms I suppose since they were second hand, but still made for a pain since my bungs were 1.5" od. Luckily an awesome friend was willing to turn some sleeves to make up the difference on his lathe. I drilled a through Hole in the sleeves, rossete welded the sleeve to the bung and got the bung welded in the
tube.

I may have already posted this but I hit the limits on my 10" travel rear shocks in a hurry, need to bring the upper mounts up into the cargo area and get some longer shocks for sure, we will see how she does once I get the front 14" 5125 bilsteins off my garage floor and fabbed in on the fronts.
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #50
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

I think its funny this thread has 6600 views and two posts from other people.....lol
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #51
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
I think its funny this thread has 6600 views and two posts from other people.....lol
Haha probably just a lot of guests reading it who don't have accounts is my guess man. i read it but i dont always comment

Unread 12-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #52
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Haha probably just a lot of guests reading it who don't have accounts is my guess man. i read it but i dont always comment

Yah, I think its also a product of it being a bit advanced for jeep forum as well. Most threads are about mechanical issues, spray painting something, and what lift to order.
Most folks don't know what they're looking at so they don't comment.
Unread 12-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #53
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:

Yah, I think its also a product of it being a bit advanced for jeep forum as well. Most threads are about mechanical issues, spray painting something, and what lift to order.
Most folks don't know what they're looking at so they don't comment.
Thats the truth man, jeepforums great for more beginning wheelers like myself, who are still learning a lot each day. You might consider putting it on pirate maybe man? I know they do crazy **** over there though!

Unread 12-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #54
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Aight dude, you wanted some posts in your thread, here we go. I dig the 3 link. I didnt see pics of how you did your axle side upper mount. Could you snap some pics of your front axle for me? Track bar mounts and that upper mount?

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #55
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

I really dig those arms man!

You using just a JKS/IRO double sheer TB?

Build thread^^
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #56
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Aight dude, you wanted some posts in your thread, here we go. I dig the 3 link. I didnt see pics of how you did your axle side upper mount. Could you snap some pics of your front axle for me? Track bar mounts and that upper mount?
Its pouring ice outside but I did find this. I used the factory mount with a bracket I built on the link end. I'll eventually make a truss and cut that bracket off but this will work until then. Track bar is an IRO with bracket but I'll be hacking that up here shortly to get a heim on one side
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #57
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Nice! Cool man, good job! So youre happy with the way she handles and performs? Im trying to figure out this geometry bull****.

What is the relationship between your upper and lower arms?

What I mean is the lengths of your arms and vertical spacing between the uppers and lowers both axle and body side. Does that make sense?

Thanks for let me pick your brain man

Build thread^^
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #58
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Nice! Cool man, good job! So youre happy with the way she handles and performs? Im trying to figure out this geometry bull****.

What is the relationship between your upper and lower arms?

What I mean is the lengths of your arms and vertical spacing between the uppers and lowers both axle and body side. Does that make sense?

Thanks for let me pick your brain man
It handles great. A lot better than short arms. I have the link calculator data on my garage computer. If the whether let's up I'll be out there welding up shock brackets to slam those 14" bilsteins in up front. I'll snap a pic of the measurements if I make it out there. My links are really long compared to the off the shelf kits. I think my lowers are 42ish. Spend some time measuring what will work on your jeep for the upper and running it through the3 link calculator. You have a huge advantage already having lowers done. The upper link should be easy to figure out. Aim for 80% static anti squat as a "get you close"
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #59
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Cool man, I downloaded that calculator. I believe I got the right one, its an excel program. Ill get some measurements soon. Its been balls cold out here so I dont really wanna go crawling around either.

What are "sprung mass CG"
and "tire rolling radius?"

Build thread^^
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #60
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Tire rolling radius= measure from center of hub to ground.
Sprung mass is around 3500lbs
For height cg go with your center of crank to ground. Hold your mouse over the blocks and it will tell you what to measure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.