Special Projects Build V3.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Special Projects Build V3.0

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Special Projects Build V3.0

Iíve been tinkering around on my Jeep for years and for the latest iteration, I finally decided on a build thread to document what I am doing. Right now, my Jeep is in its second stage of life. Where it currently stands, it has a Ford 8.8 rear with ARB, front HP30 with Aussie locker, full Currie suspension, Currie track bars, AEV 3Ē springs, front Anti rock, Savvy Steering, Savvy Rockers, Savvy Corners, and TNT Hyline fenders. I also have the original Savvy one-piece Under Armor.

Previously my Jeep started out as a stock 2001 Sahara I bought in 2008 after coming home from Iraq. Within five minutes of being home, the sawzall came out and chopped the milk jugs off the front and rear bumper, and the trim came off the rockers. This was my first Jeep and I knew nothing about them. Luckily I found Jeep Forum and stated to talking to Imped about plans for my Jeep. I managed to scrape some money together for the Currie Suspension and Anti rock. At this time, I was still on the stock axles, LP30 up front, D35 rear 3.73 gears. My friend who had a built Land rover gave me a set of takeoff BFG KM1ís to run on my stock silver star wheels. Connor and I worked around 17 hours straight the first day we met and still didnít finish everything

This is all going to get pulled off and sold. Last tax season I purchased a Currie RockJock 60 rear, and RockJock JK HP44 front housing. The current plan will be those axles, ARBís front and rear, coilovers, stretch to 104Ē, fuel cell in the back, full cage, 4-link rear, 3-link front, 37í tires.
I also need to address my motor. Right now it has 217K miles on it, probably with a cracked 0331 casting head, leaks out the RMS pretty bad, and just blew my radiator. I donít see the point spending the money on rebuilding the motor and a new radiator when I can drop either a 5.3 LM7 or L33 in it. My friend Imped has been trying to talk me out of the LS motor swap with everything else as itís going to over complicate things. I have a few custom fabricator friends up in Indianapolis who have done LS swaps that can help me out, and I work with a bunch of electrical engineers who can hopefully help me through any wiring issues.

Right now off the bat I have pulled and sold enough off this Jeep it is down for the duration until itís done. My knowledge of fabrication is limited, but I spent most of my life building things and I am a quick learner. This is also going to be a slow build because I donít have a money tree growing in the back yard, and I am a busy working single parent raising a five year old daughter who keeps me busy, so time is at a premium.

The bottom pictures show my Jeep as it sits now. I didnít properly prep the aluminum corners and rockers and they look like crap, but they are all coming off anyways and being sold. The other pictures were version 1 after the suspension, and 2 after going to 35Ē tires.

388423_298421650197715_1622750947_n.jpg   381602_298423143530899_98118818_n.jpg  
jeep1.jpg

RIP SSG Brad King. KIA April 2, 2007
Grunt77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Right now I am in the process of gathering everything parts and tools. I’ve been sitting on the axle housings for around 8 months now, and finally have a little cash to move forward.

If you have been following Imped’s build thread, I am following his lead on setting up the Currie JK HP44 front. Right now, we are going to worry about the front first since it will be the most work. I picked up an ARB for the front, and ordered a pair of Reid knuckles. I haven’t decided on the tie rod yet. The front is either going to be 35 spline shafts, or RCV’s. Originally I was planning on 5.38 gears, but if I swap in an LS motor I think that 5.13 would be a better choice. I’ve been very happy with the current Currie suspension, and plan on staying with Jonny Joints all around for this build.

In the rear, I’m planning 40 spline shafts, and set up the links on the Currie bridge for the RockJock 60. I have to say; even just the housing for this thing is a monster. I do CrossFit every day, and can deadlift around 385lbs and it was all I could do to drag it into the corner of my garage. Picking this thing up to get the gears set up is going to be a *****.

In addition to gathering parts I need, I also need to get my garage set up better. I need a welder at the minimum.

My daughter is going to miss riding in the jeep while it’s down, and thanks to Imped for the ARB and compressor.
arb.jpg   zoe.jpg  

Unread 11-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the RockJock 60 going in the rear. The front will be a JK RockJock 44. The JJ on the housing will have to be cut off. I want to use a 2.5" JJ for the 3-link front.
image-278246320.jpg

image-2708618261.jpg

Unread 11-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Brown Santa brought some Reid knuckles the other day. I've been selling hints off my Jeep and had intended to buy all the brackets/ links for the suspension, as well as steering stuff, but my Subaru died on me this week. Not exactly sure what's wrong, the tranny made a big clunk sound and it stopped running when I came to a stop. It's probably going to be expensive. So hee I sit on the $1500 I planned on spending this week.
image-2302635803.jpg

Unread 11-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

With my Subaru down and a few days of nice weather, I was able to get my CB550 out for a last ride before winter. I ended up with a completely dead battery where I couldn't even kick start it. It's not been a good week for vehicles at my house.
image-4092779996.jpg

Unread 11-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Today I started pulling all the Currie control arms off. I will have them posted for sale. Also I will have AEV 3" springs, and Currie track bars front and rear. Found a nice rusted through spot on the frame today that's been hiding from me. I started banging around with a hammer to check. It's the only spot I found. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Originally I planned on running an Artec back half kit anyways.
image-3449140371.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.