"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #766
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSolo View Post
I always read your rambling it makes me feel like my ADD isnt actually that bad
oh gee thanks...now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #767
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so like my stuff got here from summit today...gauge was spot on...and they f***ed up 2 out of 5 fittings....luckily I can swap the 2 they sent wrong out for 2 I have on the little dj with no ill effects...oh and my pedals got here....nothing fancy just some Honda accord pedals....got started on the wiring today(on the couch)....making up all the short sections from fuse block to switches and then from switches to relays....I did get some cleaning done as far as prep work for finish paint on the interior....I have finally amassed every single part save fluid to build both the front and rear axles, setup bearing are made, soon as I can get everything buttoned up topside ill start on the axles...at this point I am feeling quite overwhelmed...this is what causes things I start to not get finished...lol...well the forecast is calling for rain this weekend(heres for hoping they are wrong) so hope I get work done...but ill kep you guys posted as usual..."cheers"

Unread 03-23-2014, 04:06 AM   #768
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so more pics...lol...and rambling...

well despite the impending rain, which never came thankfully I got out all the tools and decided the new Optima needed a home, as it didn't have one....

being as I had looked online for a cool battery box and really couldn't find one for the D31 series I decided to just whip one out...

started with some pieces of 1/8" flat bar in different widths...

somehow I thought I had taken more pics during the process...but here it is tacked in place for a test fit...

and burnt in....

and then I whipped up a hold down....to do this I simple scored the 1/8" flat where I needed it to bend then used my bench vise to hold whit I bent it into shape...note that the bends must be scored on the opposite side of the bend itself, then I simply welded up the scores when done, then a little clean up....

coated it all with some bed liner...as well as the front bumper and some of the front tubes...I was working with leftover cans so didn't get a lot of the cage done yet plus im still working on parts of it...

don't it look pretty...

new to me ...old crusty booster/mc assembly...lol

oh yeah talking bout the "freak" baby....woot woot....

hold down all painted up...waiting on me to make a trip to get it some bright shiny nuts(in reality a waste of money as I prolly have over a hundred or more that will fit it...lol)

couple of random artistic shots...lol

plenty of clearance....

and some tan bed liner on the inner firewall and cowl section, getting ready to start on the wiring and final placement of dash....from the bend/angle change in the floorboards down the bedliner will be black even tho the tan is rapidly growing on me...lol

and just because I couldn't resist....a fresh coat of bedliner on the grill as I figure it will see heavy abrasion from bushes branches and constant use of the winch....

and so ends yet another fun filled pic update...hope yall enjoyed....its nice to finally get a glimpse of what my finished product is gonna look like....im kinda excited....well till meet again jeepers

Unread 03-23-2014, 04:33 AM   #769
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just downright cool Freak, killer attention to detail and ingenuity. Thanks for the tip on angling sheet/plate with the relief cut, I think I can now angle xj quarter armor to fit the body line. Hope to wheel with the beast one day, keep at it!
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #770
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Just downright cool Freak, killer attention to detail and ingenuity. Thanks for the tip on angling sheet/plate with the relief cut, I think I can now angle xj quarter armor to fit the body line. Hope to wheel with the beast one day, keep at it!
your quite welcome...consequently I used the same process when I made the front winch mount...you can draw out your plan on a piece of cardboard cut it out see if it works(folds up right) then use it as a template.....another note is if you have holes to drill make sure to plan them out well and drill before bending....particularly if you have access to the much easier drill press method of drilling holes..

Unread 03-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #771
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
your quite welcome...consequently I used the same process when I made the front winch mount...you can draw out your plan on a piece of cardboard cut it out see if it works(folds up right) then use it as a template.....another note is if you have holes to drill make sure to plan them out well and drill before bending....particularly if you have access to the much easier drill press method of drilling holes..
I'm going to get a rectangular sheet of 3/16" steel to start with. To get the slight arch of the xj body Im going to prop the steel with 2x4's then lower the jeep down having the tire bend it. Then drill some holes, make a slit, and pound the top lip over. Weld it up, grind it down, done. Trying to make this - https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...sFhQTY-yBfepJg
Unread 03-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #772
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
I'm going to get a rectangular sheet of 3/16" steel to start with. To get the slight arch of the xj body Im going to prop the steel with 2x4's then lower the jeep down having the tire bend it. Then drill some holes, make a slit, and pound the top lip over. Weld it up, grind it down, done. Trying to make this - https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...sFhQTY-yBfepJg
yeah I like those too...I was going to use 1/8" coldrolled when I do mine I belive the coldrolled sheet/plate is a little stronger than the thicker hotrolled plate but I might be mistaken...but I do know its gonna be easier to get that slight arch.....I wish I had the means to work some of that 6061 aluminum sheet...its really strong compared to the steel...but unyielding to work by normal methods.....

Unread 03-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #773
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
yeah I like those too...I was going to use 1/8" coldrolled when I do mine I belive the coldrolled sheet/plate is a little stronger than the thicker hotrolled plate but I might be mistaken...but I do know its gonna be easier to get that slight arch.....I wish I had the means to work some of that 6061 aluminum sheet...its really strong compared to the steel...but unyielding to work by normal methods.....
Aluminum would be nice, I'm going to the metal shop this week to see what they offer. I believe for a fee they will plasma cut the material as well, if not the angle grinder and drill press will do. A buddy of mine just picked up a tig welder so the aluminum armor is an option. Can't wait to see what xj armor you can whip up
Unread 03-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #774
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Aluminum would be nice, I'm going to the metal shop this week to see what they offer. I believe for a fee they will plasma cut the material as well, if not the angle grinder and drill press will do. A buddy of mine just picked up a tig welder so the aluminum armor is an option. Can't wait to see what xj armor you can whip up
wow...thats cool they will plasma it for ya....the steel supply I deal with can shear and cut to length but that's all the offer as far as cutting goes....ive got to send my plasma off to be fixed....I went and looked at a 25' pull behind camper today....it needs some work but is habitable....its weight is right at the maximum for the waggy...if I get a weight distribution hitch that is....im going to pick it up tomorrow in the 1 ton...one of the first things im going to do when I get the big dj done is take it across a set of scales while loaded on the trailer...luckily my trailer is rude light(at the moment)...depending on which is heavier will determine which vehicle pulls what when we go ride...well as far as work goes no progress was made today...sorry...and tomorrow is going to be a day of dentist and eye doctor visits as well as the 40min drive to go pick up the camper...so prolly no progress tomorrow either....

Unread 03-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #775
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so the the "oneton" 50 miles away and picked up the 25' coachman camper.....turns out it need a little more work than I was expecting but still an awesome deal at $2000...a/c works, plumbing all works, most of the 12volt works...all the screens and windows are in good condition....its a 1985 model and has had a few bobo changes(easily fixed) prolly why the back half of the 12volt lighting doesn't work....its got a full bath i.e. shower, sink toilet....ill have pics soon...im actually really excited(first camper).....one of the reasons we quit riding besides the fact I blew my trans was the lack of convienent places to stay, now granted greenbacks weren't as plentiful back then...and the wife got tired of camping on the trails.....was plenty of nights where we simple pulled over pitched the tents started a fire cooked slept woke up and did it all again....before we moved here home was literally 4 blocks away....then it became a 2hr drive after getting truck to a safe haven(whichever friend had an extra space in their driveway) and loading all our gear we didn't want walking off up and hitting the road...so after a trip across the scales with both the trailer and the dj and then the camper ill be able to determine whether or not by purchasing a weight dist. hitch I can use the waggy to tow either the camper or dj....

Unread 03-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #776
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Neat build looks like it would be a blast to wheel
Unread 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #777
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so after looking at the grill I painted with a nice coating of the rust-o-leum tan colored bed liner, I really really like the overall look especially how the color pops with the black exo.....am seriously contemplating coating the entire remaining body(not the diamond plate just the upper body) with it....I have to consider where and what type of terrain I ride...the trails grow up in the spring and usually first rigs thru catch h***....so to not have shiny slick paint showing all the scratches and scuffs might be really cool....have done the whole "Flat Black" thing before after a week it looks like s*** and the mud doesn't wash out of it and and and.....so any thoughts? objections?....my only concern is the cost....in theory I have the paint to paint it the way I originally planned(actually I have it), but I could use it to finish the paint on the little dj as they are the same colors just reversed(pretty much)....I know I cant ever make up my mind.....

Unread 03-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #778
CommandoSolo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok so after looking at the grill I painted with a nice coating of the rust-o-leum tan colored bed liner, I really really like the overall look especially how the color pops with the black exo.....am seriously contemplating coating the entire remaining body(not the diamond plate just the upper body) with it....I have to consider where and what type of terrain I ride...the trails grow up in the spring and usually first rigs thru catch h***....so to not have shiny slick paint showing all the scratches and scuffs might be really cool....have done the whole "Flat Black" thing before after a week it looks like s*** and the mud doesn't wash out of it and and and.....so any thoughts? objections?....my only concern is the cost....in theory I have the paint to paint it the way I originally planned(actually I have it), but I could use it to finish the paint on the little dj as they are the same colors just reversed(pretty much)....I know I cant ever make up my mind.....
Paint it tan! It'll look sweet.

Eagle Scout Jeeper #135
CommandoSolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #779
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so like im sure you think you know what you know, but did you know that Peter Piper didn't really pick pumpkins or pickled peppers....nope he did not...Peter Piper picked on pickled Pandas, consequently hes not allowed in japan anymore nor is he allowed to own a Honda per Japanese gov......

Unread 03-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #780
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so the "tanning" process has begun.....ill have pics later...its awesome btw....oh yea...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.