"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #61
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpldc View Post
What are you using to cut your square tube? I'm trying to amass tools to fix my YJ. Also, I will only have access to a 110 welder as I'm in a 120 y/o home. I've had decent luck with my old flux core campbell/hausfield. Would that be acceptable?

Chris
I use my angle grinder with a 6" dewalt chop disc..if u are squeemish use the4.5" ones...the 6" one are a little squirelly at first..and i usualy mark all the way round and cut one side at a time..yea its teadious but an easy way to get an accurate cut at the vehicle...as far as the welder i dont see why it wouldnt work a friend of mine uses a 110 and his trucks seem to hold together..i guess it boils down to are you comfortable wirh your welding skills...i built an xj once that every ride for four weeks i came out of the woods wirh every ratchet strap i owned holding it together...once the wife even had to bring me four more straps...my self i love fluxcore..you can weld right thru mud/rust/paint..e.t.c..hope this helos you out...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #62
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so here it is long awaited update time....i can tell you were all hanging on the edge of your seats...lol

some pics of finished interior mods to make room for seating...(umm comfortable seating that is...lol)

roof almost done

finally got around to drivers side rear quarter sheet metal...if you look back you can see this used to be awful

sliders...lol these are made out of 2x2 1/4 wall square tubing with round standoffs

the notching

ends clamped welded and adding tubes

finished slider prior to installation

crappy pic of seat mount setup will post better pics of this later but you can get the idea

now on to fun stuff..."Body Armor"...yee haa...this was made out of 1/8 inch thick diamond plate...all cutting was done with the plasma and grinder...every thing else should be self explanatory except the fact i chose to weld on instead of bolting...

pretty much finished here but need to remove tire to stitch backside at fender opening

ok so like thats all i got for now...just got the plate for the other side today and got most of the floor cut out of the scraps from first piece...so should have another pic filled update soon

Unread 09-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #63
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok just in case no one was paying attention my 2 favorite fab tools are in several of the pics...lol...not to mention my trusty trailer/welding jig on wheels...

Unread 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #64
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The monster is coming alive.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #65
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

........................... ...................

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #66
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
........................... ...................
Ok so im guessing thats a compliment either that or you are saying ive lost my friggin mind...ehhh could be true either way...lol but thanks

Unread 09-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #67
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Compliment to say the least... I'm guessing the Bacon man was a lil much and probably should have ended with Cheers but thats a beast man. I've never seen a DJ that built and your Xj is a tank, any chance you have a build thread from that? Im left wanting to see more of what went into these.

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #68
JKTOXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Man this thing is gonna be a beast. Something really unique on the trail. Can't say I've ever seen someone wheel a DJ!
JKTOXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #69
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
Compliment to say the least... I'm guessing the Bacon man was a lil much and probably should have ended with Cheers but thats a beast man. I've never seen a DJ that built and your Xj is a tank, any chance you have a build thread from that? Im left wanting to see more of what went into these.
thanks dude means a lot...as far as the xj its no long story there...i had a lifted 78 bronco that the body had outlived its life expectancy...so i removed it stripped thee cherokee and welded the body to the bronco frame...looks badass rides like crap....im actually fixing to dismantle it partialy to get the dj up and going...the xj really needs some 2.5-5.0 ton running gear...i hav a buddy who has 2.5 tons and 56" tires he will let me have for 1300$ so if i dont sell it as a rollin chassis ill upgrade it next year...this time with a 460 or 502....now granted i had to do a little clever cutting to get the body to fit but all in all it was quick and easy... it was as if ford or jeep thought someone might do this someday ...lol

Unread 09-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #70
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTOXJ View Post
Man this thing is gonna be a beast. Something really unique on the trail. Can't say I've ever seen someone wheel a DJ!
thanks a bunch...ive heard of a few but far as i can tell most are running drivetrains out of wreckd xj's...and using the leafe spring front dana 30 out of wranglers

Unread 09-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #71
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 09-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #72
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How did you make that bend so nice where the diamond plate curves around to the rear of the cab. Did you just heat it with a torch? The reason I am interested is because you seem to be accomplishing a lot with limited tools and no roof to work under.
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #73
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnhunter View Post
How did you make that bend so nice where the diamond plate curves around to the rear of the cab. Did you just heat it with a torch? The reason I am interested is because you seem to be accomplishing a lot with limited tools and no roof to work under.
I just strong arm cold bent it then when it was close enuff i used 3 clamps two on top and one on bottom and would tighten each just enuff to make the others loose till it was tight around...and walla pretty bend

Unread 10-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #74
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

And just for the record..i used to have a shop ...and i do have quite the assortment of equipment...i have a tig, mig,and stick welders, a plasma and set of full size torches..a drill press(old 1950's model high school metal shop drillpress its really cool lookong...lol) some electric hand drills as well as battery operated makitas...a bender(jd squared model3) a notcher..a 4x8 weld table(in storage) lol...but with the exception of the dender and drill press i can usually do just about everything with the welder and angle grinder...plus thats less to have to carry 300ft to wherethe truck is...lkl...well rain has me on the couch today so no new news......and i wasnt trying to brag about what i have i was saying that with a little practice you can do just as much with much less...so go buy a cord a grinder and a cheap welder and say hello to "i built not bought this"...you can do it...lol

Unread 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #75
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I wish I lived near you

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.