"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #676
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Badass fairlead bumper, the killer new pictures of the dj and waggy. Does that have the factory rear D44?

Unread 02-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #677
CommandoSolo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is the little DJ sitting at ride height in these pictures? Those tires look a tad small on it.

Eagle Scout Jeeper #135
CommandoSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #678
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSolo View Post
Is the little DJ sitting at ride height in these pictures? Those tires look a tad small on it.
yes, no, and maybe.......its up on jackstands, but it is on its own weight, the front sits a little high I need to remove a leaf or too from the front springs,....but even then I think the 235's are going to look small....right now its still 2wd as I haven't converted the trans to 4wd yet...so little, nice driving, gas efficient tires it is....that and im still undetermined if im gonna cut the rear wells......however it does look a little better when actually sitting on the ground...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #679
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so just got back from the tag office....the waggy and the little dj are now legal beagle's.....to renew the one ton, and tags for both jeeps cost me $114....not too bad I guess....

did a bunch of inspection/crawling around under the waggy....turns out it has a full set of factory skids including t-case skid....both diffs need pinion seals and fluid changes....front axle (surprisingly) is a non disco...thank god...even tho ive heard they are stronger and the option of unlocking the front axle in case of a t-case issue would be nice, ive just never liked em(the disco axles)....the more I look at it tho the more im beginning to thinks of it as less of a daily driver....reasons being its got 288k, there are loads of issure with the paint....most annoying being it was resprayed over a dying paint job with out proper preparation therefore the respray has faded and peeled leaving remininces of two faded dying paint jobs....the aluminum trim bordering the woody decal(which amazingly is in awesome shape) has been painted some tan color crappily with out removing the factory plastic coat from the trim completely there for there is tattered plastic along the edges....ok so I know im nit-picking but to be old original and in need of attention is one thing, to be old and crappily redone and in need of attention something entirely diferent....definitely gonna be some j/y diving in the future for this little fella.....oh one more quick thing it has no rust....or so it would appear looking at it from underneath....it did also have the "extra" undercoat you could buy when you bought it...that is gonna make suspension work a little more difficult as its on all the nuts n bolts yada yada...but should prove to be a really sound vehicle to start with....the oil is very clean and amber colored and not black so worst im possibly looking at would be replacing the trans with a good used one if the one that's in it proves to be going out instead of just low on fluid and it runs a little rich...I found a few vacuum leaks so im thing pressure regulator might not be getting correct vacuum resulting in too much pressure at the injectors but that is a dog for another day.....well im out....

Unread 02-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #680
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice find, the Waggy's are getting rare so you may want to keep the front grille intact.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #681
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Nice find, the Waggy's are getting rare so you may want to keep the front grille intact.
thanks and that's nice to know....I noticed when I googled it there weren't very many pics of the xj versions....and I guess that means ill have to find someone to woody decal my body armor once I get it to then....dangit....lol...j/k....but seriously, when I get thru with it any collectors value will be long gone but it will have gained much more in the way of capability...if I did swap out the grille id just hang it on the wall in the shed till it was needed....but anyways back to the original point...so these waggys are rare huh?...I even had an 87 pioneer xj once...it lived longer than the rest of my xj's...lol..or shall I say survived...the pics in this thread of the xj with the exo was the pioneer...

Unread 02-28-2014, 11:38 PM   #682
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Badass fairlead bumper, the killer new pictures of the dj and waggy. Does that have the factory rear D44?
thanks and im not sure....I haven't gotten that far with the tag scraping....I did figure out why the trans is acting funny....its so low on fluid it doesn't even touch the stick....I added some trans fluid to p/s reservoir and pump seems to function but apparently there was some water in my sealed bottle of fluid...so it quickly turned in to a pink milkshake...some j/a used I think one piece of every size heater hose to hook up th expansion tank and there fore it leaks coolant(easily fixed)....but much to my own surprise im prolly gonna sell the little dj to fund the xj project....way I see it I have one obnoxiously cool dj so the moderately cool one can get passed on for in my opinion oh lets say about $4200....doorless or for about $5000 with doors...I mean heck its practically brand new....but then wife also said if I wanted too or felt the need to, I could get some gainful employment and use everything I make on the trucks....I guess I could do quite a bit quite rapidly with a 8$ 40hr wuss job...but then id have no time...its a toss up...but anyways lii get back to ya on the 44?....

Unread 03-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #683
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

I robbed this from another forum because I thought it might be usefull for others on here....

Free Jeep build sheet

Thought I'd pass on this little nugget of wisdom. I'm sure some jeep owners have no idea this exists.
http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.jsp
Click on CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE, then SEND US AN E-MAIL

Just fill in the blanks with your VIN# and contact info, and in the comments ask: will you please send my build sheet(or something like that), and in about one day they will e-mail you your factory build sheet.
It's very detailed and shows everything on your jeep, paint codes, gear ratios, all options included, etc. Very handy info to have around.

Unread 03-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #684
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so quick update on lack of progress....topped off some fluids in the waggy...trans seemed to shift better and with much more authority...still haven't tried it in "power" mode...only "comfort"....the steering when the power part of it is working is super sloppy as in automatic lane change sloppy...so a one tone gm conversion is prolly one of the first upgrades I do, I might dig around a few j/y's ad find some decent used stuff till I get the lift installed not sure yet...I bought all new heater hoses for it will get those installed soon...am going up to TN tomorrow my buddy finally got thru borrowing my bender...lol...so hopefully some tube work is in the near future on the big dj......im still having some drivetrain issues non-motor.trans related on the little dj.....the axles were after all in questionable condition....

Unread 03-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #685
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

i know im prolly boring all you guys with my seemingly pointless rambling, but.....I see the waggy build spiraling out of control very rapidly.....before I went and got stupid and mounted my last xj the '99 on my ford bronco chassis I wanted to dovetail it front and rear....while retaining correct use of a shrunken hatch, the '99's hatch being metal this was possible with much careful cutting and seaming of original rear opening......but with the fiberglass hatch ehhh....I guess with all the time im going to save since the lift claims to only need 10 hrs to install, I guess I could locate and modify a metal hatch to fit....and then go nuts on the body.....the way I see it other than weldwire the body mods will be rather inexpensive.....however convincing the wife to let me cut it all up may be rather costly...lol.....

so I need honest opinions here....this is where I think my out of control spiral will lead me.....

89 waggy dovetailed front and rear...6" in front...16" in rear
full exo
interior cage with halo
body armor with rub rails
sliders/rock rails....ha yeah for what rocks??...but seriously
6.5" rough counry x series long arm lift
rock ready sye eliminator and rear shaft
dual smitty built full waterproof 10k winches...
dual optima blue tops...
detroits front and rear
chromos fromt and rear
4.88's front and rear
gm oneton steering conversion with hydro assist..

will run the 34" tsl's during the build process which will start with lift sye and driveshaft...well besides all the normal work needed to reverse some of the harm the PO's and age have caused....after all the research or what ever you call it im completely decided on the lift, the winches, and the cage/armor...the dovetail may or may not happen but I really think its gonna...so let me know what you guys think...

Unread 03-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #686
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so I don't know about anyone else, but ever have those nights where you sit up out of a dead sleep and say outloud..."that'll never work, im a D/A..."?....yeah its one of those days....woke up last night with the mental image of my winch cable grinding against the backside of my freshly fashioned rear bumper....now granted along with that image came the solution, but had I thought of it before all that welding sealing off the slot then I could have saved myself a bunch of work....and see this is why I drink copious amount of beer when fabricating....consequently I was sober when I built the bumper....having ADD the beer slows me down long enuff to stare at my project long enuff to usually get it right the first time.....without it I will be half way thru something im working on physically but will be 3 projects down the list mentally.....

Sooo....anyways...tomorrow im going to go pick up 60' of tube and start on the exo...I saw in a thread somewhere the guy used 6" sections of a smaller tube welded to where his cage would connect to sliders/bumpers to help hold tubes in place while he marked and measured and tacked stuff into place....it eliminated the need for a second set of hands, as well as he was simply able to lift it off to finish weld and paint most of it...and then just set it back on weld it to everything,and touched up his paint at the welds...it was pretty slick really....im going to use sections about 1' long that way I can just raise it up to get to the undersides of tubes to weld then lower it back to weld it in....also due to lack of buddys to help the halo/top loop will made out of 2 pieces, easier to correct a "u" shaped piece if you get the bends skewed a little...we used to do it all the time with much larger square tube back when I used to fab at a job(fix the skew that is)....it will be sleeved at the seam and connected where a second tube attaches and i will drill and plug weld the sleeve in as well....today however its cold and nasty so I will be doing the dreaded house chores....but hopefully over the next couple days the front half of the cage will sprout up nicely...please mother nature "no water" needed.....lol...well that's all for now

Unread 03-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #687
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so im off to go buy at least 4 21' stick of tubing....however since my lazy a** decided to forget to get the bender out of the wifes minivan I guess I wont be getting any tube work done today.....but having the materials on hand is half the battle right?.....well was just excited about that and thought id share....

Unread 03-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #688
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Let the fun begin...or continue!
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #689
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Let the fun begin...or continue!
umm yeah fun....that's it....fun....no but seriously....even tho I have decent bender I being the cheap s.o.b. I am didn't spring for the hydraulic setup....so its all bend by hand....needless to say I have 84' of tubing waiting for me to begin in the am....and I did get the bender out of wifes minivan...lol...no excuses now!!...might even get out there here in a bit....its dark but I can get bender all ready for tomorrow....yay go me....

Unread 03-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #690
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so got the build sheet on the waggy....so here it is.....no luck on having the 44 rear tho.....

Vehicle Description JEEP WAGONEER LIMITED
Model Year 1989
Body Model XJ N X 74
Sales Code Description
*YL Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
ADL Skid Plate Group
AHT Trailer Tow Group
APAS Monotone Paint
ARC Rubicon X
BGAS Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
BKPS 10x2.5 Rear Drum Brakes
CACP Low Back Bucket Seats
CDBS Reclining Front Seats
CKBS Floor Carpet
CKNP Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTP Cargo Tie Down Loops
CKVS MOPAR All Weather Mats
CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats
CSAS Spare Tire Cover
CSCS Cargo Compartment Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGSS 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHPS Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System
DHSS Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
DJHS Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRMP Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
DSA Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
GACS Tinted Glass Windows
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GECS Front Left Side Sliding Window
GEDS Tinted Rr Drs/Qtr/Liftgate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GNBS Driver Side Illuminated Sun Visor
GRJP Left Power Chrome Mirror
GSJP Right Power Chrome Mirror
GTJS Power Mirrors
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
HAAS Air Conditioning
HGAS Hood Insulation
JAAS Instrument Panel
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JBGS Instrument Panel Woodgrain Bezel
JCAS 85 MPH Primary Speedometer
JGBS Digital Clock
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JKBS Inst Panel Mounted Hood Release
JPAS Power Windows
JPBS Power Locks
JPTS Power Front Driver/Passenger Seats
JRDP Power Driver Seat
JREP Power 4-Way Driver Seat
LAFS Key in Ign/Seat Belt Warning Buzzer
LAGS Warning Chime
LAKS Headlamps On Warning Chimes
LBBS Courtesy Lamps
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LBDS Ash Tray Lamp
LBES Cigar Lighter
LCDS Map/Dome Reading Lamps
LDBS Cargo Compartment Lamp
LDHS U/Hood, Removable/Rechargeable Lamp
LHDS Headlamp Off Time Delay
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LNJS Fog Lamps
MB2S Bright/Black Front Bumper
MB6S Bright/Black Rear Bumper
MCAS Front Bumper Guards
MCBS Rear Accent Color Applique
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFJS Laramie Limited Grille
MHBS Bright Windshield Moldings
MJAS Bodyside Molded-In-Color Moldings
MMBS Hood Stripe
MMFS Day Light Opening Moldings
MPAS MOPAR Chrome Front Applique
MTBS Red Trail Rated Badge
MWAS Roof Rack
NAE California Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NDAS Catalytic Converter
NFAS 20 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
NHMS Speed Control
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAF AM/FM Cassette Radio
RCGP 6 Speakers
RDCP Power Antenna
SBAS Power Steering
SCGS Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SFCS Front Perf Tuned Shock Absorbers
SGCS Rear Perf Tuned Shock Absorbers
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TAAC All Tires
TBB Full Size Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TPMA P205/55R16 BSW AS Touring Tires
WJNS 15" Aluminum Wheels
XEEP Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
XEFP Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
XEUP Front Suspension Skid Plate
XFAS -35F Protection Anti-Freeze
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

and so it took a day longer than I expected but it was totally free.....and I think im liking the factory trac lock rear end....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.