"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #646
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well today didn't go exactly as planned....in other words none of the new parts were installed except the gauges...instead I got a ton of fab n welding that needed to be done months ago with materials I already had.....ran out of light before getting any real pics so sorry for that....will have those tomorrow for sure....anyways im bout beat gonna make a captain n pepsi and watch some tube........in complete moderation of course....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #647
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Ahhh....the ca-nooter valve is stuck......thats the problem!

Unread 02-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #648
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so I know I keep saying pics are coming...and by now im sure most of you have givin up on em....and for that I apologize but since it is such a chore to get them posted its easier to get a bunch done at once....and at the moment all that's really getting accomplished is lots of finish welding...miles and miles of welding...once I get al the stuff I should have taken care of already done it will be on to the tube and axle work....hopefully that will be by the beginning of next week....anyways guess its back to the fun of trying to be a pretzel under my jeep while getting showered with mini fireballs....oohhh yay!!!...lol...oh yeah I did get the driveshaft for the little dj back...gonna go to town in the morning and get it some new joints before reinstalling it...the machine shop had originally told me $60 an end to fix it but when they called to tell me it was done some how $120 had turned into $226...after chewing the foreman out, we settled on $160 cash...

Unread 02-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #649
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so here are some pics....nothing special or fancy mind you but pics none-the-less....enjoy..

starting with parts.....

gears, carrier/spool, install kits, alt, solenoid, and gaskets...

Unread 02-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #650
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

dangit wrong button...so pics continued...lol....

more parts...

ok so on to some minor fab pics....i.e. upper rear spring mounts....

before as temporaried in....

after....plated and gusseted pre-cleanup....

if you look hard you can see the brown piece of 1" sch80 connecting the two upper spring mounts...

limiting chains....

ok on too a few pics of the miles of welding and rear filler panel....

starting with filler panel....

before...

after...

in conjunction with upper spring mounts...there is 1/4" spacing between filler and mount....

on to the miles of welding...all the 1/8" diamond plate is fully welded to prevent mud and water getting in between it and body....fun ...fun...

cb antenna mounting location...this will be somewhat protected by the exo....

clippin the ears....

well that's all the pics I have for now as I said nothing fancy or nuthin....will prolly build cage before axles that way I can hurry and get the interior bed lined and everything painted completely....still have "drivers side" door and fender to finish...then body will be finished after cage it will be make it function time....I have done it the other way before and truck ends up getting bashed because I ride before I finish cage, so im doing it in the correct order this time...lol...well hope you enjoyed.....

Unread 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #651
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for the eye candy.
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #652
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice work, keep it up man

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #653
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Thank you for the eye candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86 View Post
nice work, keep it up man
thanks guys....just another long day of welding here....I did stop long enuff to get front turn signals in the little dj...will get pics of that soon...prolly still got at least 2 days of capping and welding before im thru....I called my buddy about getting my bender back and he begged for another week of usage...I reluctantly agreed considering it would just be sitting idle for another week at least....he better be done by then......dug out the CB held it in just about every location I could think of...looks like roof mount it is....definitely gonna invest in a good mic hook tho...been hit in the head plenty by mic not secured properly in the past......not this time...waiting on walmart to call and tell me the new set of wranglers are here for the little dj...ill have a full set with spare all brand new...never before have I had 5 new tires all at once...4 once but never 5........well that's all for now....

Unread 02-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #654
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
thanks guys....just another long day of welding here....I did stop long enuff to get front turn signals in the little dj...will get pics of that soon...prolly still got at least 2 days of capping and welding before im thru....I called my buddy about getting my bender back and he begged for another week of usage...I reluctantly agreed considering it would just be sitting idle for another week at least....he better be done by then......dug out the CB held it in just about every location I could think of...looks like roof mount it is....definitely gonna invest in a good mic hook tho...been hit in the head plenty by mic not secured properly in the past......not this time...waiting on walmart to call and tell me the new set of wranglers are here for the little dj...ill have a full set with spare all brand new...never before have I had 5 new tires all at once...4 once but never 5........well that's all for now....
Are you going with the wranglers authorities?
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #655
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Man is crazy what you can do with what you have.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #656
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Are you going with the wranglers authorities?
naw just the plain ole at's....when I get the 4wheel working ill upgrade to a larger mud terrain of some sort...but for now its just some 235/75/r15's....I figure ill ride for a year then sell em for around $250...

Unread 02-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #657
CommandoSolo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I am new to the extreme fab world, could you explain to me how those arms work having the uppers and lowers attached at the same point on the frame?

Eagle Scout Jeeper #135
CommandoSolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #658
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSolo View Post
So I am new to the extreme fab world, could you explain to me how those arms work having the uppers and lowers attached at the same point on the frame?
Not sure if I can explain it but I can tell you from the xj I had with same setup it is plain sick....I had to strap everything to keep from running on the sidewalls when in extreme twisty situations......you have to understand that one side only has one connection at axle so it kinda like a bastardised 3 link, having a y link on one side prevents axle wrap and track bar keeps it in place side to side. ...the front is basically a long radius arm setup. ...ill prolly go back with rear setup in front if I dont like how the radius arm work...which is how I had it set up in the xj

Unread 02-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #659
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

CommandoSolo here is a pic to show some of the axle to body flex...ignore the body roll, one of the front shocks is frozen preventing the right front from pushing up...I am still going to go with some softer rate springs in front as well tho....I know that the pic only depicts a small amount of flex and im nowhere near full stuff which had I a second floor jack I could have achieved...but should give you an idea of net end result even tho I still cant explain it....it took many many twelve packs and about 3 proto types 6 years ago to design....er-body said it would never work but it did and and uber well I must add.....

this being the xj, and if you look up under it you can see the exact rear setup im using now...

and heres the flex pic...

hope this helps a little...like I said you would think it wouldn't work but it does....

Unread 02-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #660
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so as I was unable to sleep last night I decided to make my usual lists of things needed to be done, materials/parts needed...yada yada...(for the big DJ)....I was quite pleased when the lists seemed to turn out kinda short.....especially when it came to the list of things where money was required....so here is where I think I stand at this point...

metal needed....

18ga sheet for drivers door...
2"x6"x42" .250 wall rectangular tube for rear bumper
7-20' sticks of 1-3/4"tube for exo
misc 1/8" flat for capping

premade parts/items needed....

power steering pump
pedals booster and m/c from junked Honda
switches, connectors, wire
hood latches
misc hoses
fluids
paint and bedliner
submersible led taillights
bat. cables for winches/battery
fuel cell and fittings
a few other misc odd and ends(i.e. interior lighting fire extinguisher blah blah)

work to be done..ok this is the long list...lol....

finish the capping and finish welding
exo
fab new p/s bracket
wiring...super simple no frills no fail system...lol I hope
paint and bedliner
build axles
rear winch bumper
plumb up brakes and trans cooler
make driveshafts...these I know will work....gotta love a velocity joint...
exhaust
drink copious amounts of beer
mount fuel cell
and...test...

I think that's all the major stuff...im sure ill find some misc things I cant live without doing along the line but I should be functional by that point...so its looking like I might make my goal of end of april....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.