"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #631
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
Well G-2 4.56's. And master install kit on the way as well as Yukon (steel) full spool...accidently ordered a few more hunting supplys, accidently, by accident...benders out on loan so I'll wait a week or so on tubing...alternator and fuel cell to be ordered shortly...no actual work done yet but soon...real soon
Bet it feels good ordering new parts for the Jeep! Keep up the good work.

Unread 02-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #632
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Bet it feels good ordering new parts for the Jeep! Keep up the good work.
Yep poor old gal sat there for a year watching me love, polish, bleed, and spend lots of money on another.....I'm surprised she stuck around...lol....oh wait she a jeep that not yet functional, she couldn't leave....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #633
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well more parts ordered....I hate the waiting game...gonna drop off the drive shaft to the little dj here Monday and have it "corrected"...lol...I did manage to find listings for the 2 parts needed to convert the trans to 4wd for 160$ but gonna drive it like it is for a while first....maybe before hunting season next year ill do it...also managed to pick up a 79 Suzuki gs1000 to piddle with....too many projects too little time and fundage...what is a poor boy to do...been playing with cage/exo ideas and think its gonna be exo on the front with a halo, windshield bars, and rear quarter sliders connected to internal roll cage...all will be tied in permanently to the frame, even where it goes thru body...at least for now...am going to at least locate all tie ins in areas of easy access in case I should ever need to tear it down....but usually by the time im done with a truck not much to salvage but drivetrain...but maybe ive gotten old and less fun loving.....ehhh doubt it....well time to fire up the grill got family in town for wifes dads funeral...he passed last sunday morning but anyways....keep on jeepin....

Unread 02-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #634
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The waiting game gets old quick. Exo plans sound great! Sorry to hear about your wifes Dad, hope she is doing ok.
Unread 02-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #635
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

lol sooooooooo more photos of that little dj in action?
Unread 02-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #636
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivester1992 View Post
lol sooooooooo more photos of that little dj in action?
no not yet...ive been slacking on getting the driveshaft out and taking it to have it trued up....but soon hopefully soon

Quote:
The waiting game gets old quick. Exo plans sound great! Sorry to hear about your wifes Dad, hope she is doing ok.
thanks man she is, but she still has her moments....

so brown santa showed up today with the first delivery of parts....gears and install kit for the rear 60....so I went and dug the gears carrier and install kit for the 44 front out of cold storage....soon as the spool shows and a quick trip to the zone to buy $100 worth of bearings and races to grind on to make 2 sets of setup bearing ill be ready for drivetrain 101....also have replacement gm onewire coming as I robbed it for the little dj(will actually have to reswap as the lower hole has been drilled for the manlier ford sized bolt)....and an industrial heavy duty solenoid as well....will prolly also pick up a cheap set of triple gauges to replace the ones I also stole for the little dj..lol...well guess that's it for now.....oh yeah forgot to mention we are under winter advisory...haha(means we might see a flake or two)...until Wednesday...supposed to be nicer by the weekend so im working in the house till then...

Unread 02-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #637
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

and it would appear the weather man was right for once....a whopping 1/2" of snow and the schools are closed......man when I was young going to school up in maine and iowa the schoolbus "was" the snowplow....wasn't no getting out of school unless there was enuff snow the bus couldn't move....guess ill go blast some squirrels....normally id go ride in the snow but no offroad vehicles moving at this point ....oh well

Unread 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #638
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Well went to AutoZone.com and ordered all the necessary bearings to make setup bearings...as well as a set of white face gauges...free shipping and a free 25$ gift card...woot woot...

Unread 02-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #639
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well only update at the moment is still waitng for more pieces, dropped driveshaft for little dj off to be fixed, and dropped the 4wheeler off to be diagnosed and possibly repaired, if it weren't for bad weather id be out preping the housings....it is however rather reassuring to sit here and stare at the giant pile I have gathered already...ive tried to find at least one of my old riding buddies who has real experience with setting up diffs but no luck they all said they paid someone to do it....I have however found the major flaw with all this new advanced telecommunications technology....within 3-5 minutes of me attempting to be sneaky and order more parts the wifes phone goes off busting me out....DOH!!!!...lol...well should have pics of the parts pile here in a day or so....

Unread 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #640
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well final box of parts needed for building the axles came in this morning....im super stoked, I think.....and by that I mean, there is a certain amount of hesitation and anguish when thinking about how much all this cost as opposed to what im accustomed to spending....$500+lubricants on each axle compared to $53+lubricants...knowing all to well there is a good chance ill break some of it within a year, and even a better chance that if I don't get it built right then it wont be my lead foot that caused the failure....so now its time for a quick trip to the local home depot for a few items for the dremmel and then I can make my setup bearings...not really looking forward to this...if I was smart it might be better to run to harbor freight and pick up a cheapy die grinder...yeah that's what ill do....harbor freight here I come...lol...and guess ill stop by the courthouse and pick up a tag n register the little dj....

Unread 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #641
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so after going to harbor freight where I managed to find a cheapo die grinder, and some other goodies....I went to all three major parts houses and both major home improvement stores and not one of them carried 1/4" burr bits for metal removal...boy if I had to port n polish a set of heads or gasket match or whatever id be skrewed...I finally purchased a 3/4" by 1-1/4" stone bit...it worked good but slow....have all four setup carrier bearings made just need to do the two inner pinion races...I was however very impressed with the 10$ die grinder...it performed as well as all the $69+ dollar versions off the tool trucks I had purchased in the past...I recommend it fully....also I picked up a set of 9 led 2" round marker lights for the front turn signals for the little dj for $7 each...

Unread 02-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #642
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Harbor freight has a lot of good stuff! I just picked up their manual tire changer for $35, works like a charm.
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #643
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Harbor freight has a lot of good stuff! I just picked up their manual tire changer for $35, works like a charm.
When it comes to "cheap" tools its kinda where I try draw the line....especially when they are powered....with rotary air tools its kinda hard to go wrong tho...that and if its something ill only need once..when it comes to my tools I try and use the buy quality, buy it once philosophy. .....having said that doesn't mean I don't have a bunch of cheap crappy tools tho....due to the fact that for almost 4 years my house was the closest place with full fab capabilities. ...being only 4 blocks from many of the acess points to the trails, there were loads of trucks to be repaired there...I have no doubt that many many tools one at a time walked off in one of the many tool boxes that got dumped in my driveway. ...if it was a large hard group ride, id drag out the extension cord for the welder, put grinder some wheels, and a few other select tools on the bench for easy acess...power up the compressor and make sure everyone riding that day knew where house was and combo to gate...well those I knew well enough....not to mention all those snapon sockets and wrenches lost in the mud....by me...lol...ehh you live, you learn, you lose a tool...thats life....

Unread 02-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #644
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
When it comes to "cheap" tools its kinda where I try draw the line....especially when they are powered....with rotary air tools its kinda hard to go wrong tho...that and if its something ill only need once..when it comes to my tools I try and use the buy quality, buy it once philosophy. .....having said that doesn't mean I don't have a bunch of cheap crappy tools tho....due to the fact that for almost 4 years my house was the closest place with full fab capabilities. ...being only 4 blocks from many of the acess points to the trails, there were loads of trucks to be repaired there...I have no doubt that many many tools one at a time walked off in one of the many tool boxes that got dumped in my driveway. ...if it was a large hard group ride, id drag out the extension cord for the welder, put grinder some wheels, and a few other select tools on the bench for easy acess...power up the compressor and make sure everyone riding that day knew where house was and combo to gate...well those I knew well enough....not to mention all those snapon sockets and wrenches lost in the mud....by me...lol...ehh you live, you learn, you lose a tool...thats life....
I won't argue that there is a line to be drawn! Livin and learnin everyday man!
Unread 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #645
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so today is shaping up to be a nice day to get out there and attempt to get some work done....I am however glad that yesterday was not...it would have seemed that while celebrating the arrival of the last of my parts and making my setup bearings I may have partied just a little too hard....when morning arrived I was left feeling very rough and hungover....so the fact it was cold and rainy allowed me to grovel in my misery with no true guilt as I wouldn't have been able to get anything done anyways...did have a good night with the ole lady with no kids...woot woot...anyways I should have a pic post here tonight sometime......

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.