"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #601
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so got motivated on the little dj today....finished up most of the plumbing...it now has coolant tomorrow I will finalize the fuel system (if it doesn't rain) and hope to fire it up (for real this time)....well that's all I got ill keep yall posted

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #602
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

pic update time..

pitman arm...

shock towers/mounts...

steering coupler...
before...

after...

finished steering with plate added to pitman arm(just in case...lol)

and the new toy...

yes its a complete bike just doing some cleanup

well that's all I gots for now

Unread 11-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #603
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome! How did that Pitman arm weld?
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #604
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

its cast steel, i imagine fine as long as he got it hot enough

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #605
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
its cast steel, i imagine fine as long as he got it hot enough
some are cast and some are forged depending on the year and applicaton....it welded like it was forged but I plate it anyways..since it wont see any offroad use it should be fine...but they don't make a drop arm for the dj box...so I had to do it...lol

Unread 11-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #606
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I mean even if it's forged you just need some hella heat.

Did you peen your welds on cool down?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #607
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I mean even if it's forged you just need some hella heat.

Did you peen your welds on cool down?
since I weld with flux core I used a slag/chip hammer to remove the slag...it was still pretty hot at that time, so I guess that might count as peaning...lol...I found the slag comes of better that way and by the time I ran one solid bead all the way round the precisely bent piece of 3/16"s plate the entire arm was red hot..i allowed the plate to be oversized by 3/8'" of an inch then filled the huge v (pitman arm is slightly oval shaped)...used about 1/2lb of wire....I do have rods for use with my torches specifically for welding cast tho but my torches have been empty for about 4 year now(since I bought my plasma/tig, which is fixing to make a trip to Cali to be fixed)...I bougt the rods to weld up a 40k mile 4.0l I got from a fella for free since he somehow let it freeze...ran it for 3 years then started a project left it sitting on a trailer manifold side up...it filled with water and ruined(stupid tarp)....but I still have the rods...friggin 75$ a pound..ouch

Unread 11-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #608
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so I finally got my s**t together and got out and messed with the little dj today...got it fired up and moved around to the driveway...the points wont stay set...it will be running like a kitten the start to run like a junkyard dog then die...when I take off the dist cap the points wont be opening anymore.....after setting and reseting several times...I decided f! this and ordered a hei style dist for get this a whopping $50....well $59 with shipping it will be here Wednesday.....1 wire, set timing, done!!!!!still have a few bugs to work out and some final recheck on tightness here and there....brakes are still not 100% have one wheel cyl I cant bleed and think I need to adjust the rod between pedal and booster and a brake light switch from an early chevy to make lights work.......so there it is...oh and need tags and a fresh battery the duralast gold I have is about 5 yrs old and is not liking holding a charge anymore, well not if I have to crank more that 3 times...anyways am sorta excited to have driven it even if it was only 200' and at 5 mph

Unread 11-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #609
TJ-Joe
1984 CJ7 

Cool ... great progress! I love the thrill you get when you fire it up for the first time.
TJ-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #610
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Joe View Post
Cool ... great progress! I love the thrill you get when you fire it up for the first time.
thanks man....I had only driven it once before I started the build...I knew the d-train was functional...once I work out all the bugs ill start stockpiling parts for an engine rebuild....using an extreme 4x4 camshaft kit from summit and rebuld kit from flatlandracing.com...hopefully by then I will have also found the parts I need from a 4wd tf 727...and to stretch the rear by 18-24"....18" would be more ideal(DS angle/length) for wheelbase but 24" would look cooler...haha mini bed...a.k.a cooler mount....

Unread 11-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #611
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

good job man, i know its not done, but driving it is still a big step forward

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #612
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well still waiting on the new HEI dist....I read something about the gear on the cam that drives the dist can fail or something, when installing said dist....so in an effort to research this I found several instances involving v-8's but none with the 232 Inlines...so we will see...however it was fun to find out they make a bunch of performance parts for my odd little motor...I see a HP-232(HP=high performance) in the near and distant future...muahahahahhaha.....sorry just couldn't resist.....well anyways kinda limited as to what all I can do before dist gets here so ill prolly just go sit under a tree...

Unread 11-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #613
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well I found the 2 pieces I need to make the trans in my lil dj 4wd....looking at $100 for the adaptor and $60 for the output shaft +gaskets and fluid...and I have a t-case already so hmmm....ehh itll still prolly be a year before I make it 4wd....gonna work out all the bugs and make sure everything works correctly first....then ill prolly gather the engine parts and trans parts and redo the drivetrain all at the same time...maybe...god I have too many projects....

Unread 11-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #614
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok first off...the new distributor is here...woohoo gonna go stab it here in a sec....second got a little "DOH dudes a Dumb***" story for ya...involving none other than myself....when I was a wee teen I was infatuated by the early 70's big body cutlass...I really wanted a 74 but my friends dad had a carlot and he had a 76 model that had been repainted red...not that it matters....well my stepmom went with me to pick it up as I didn't have a license yet...on the way home we noticed the brakes were squealing like brakes will do....at some point(close to home thank god) we stopped or gas and while I was going thru the trunk looking for a rag I found a can of..................wait or it...................yep you guessed it....WD40...standing there at the ripe age of 15 I read "Stops Squeaks" right there on the can......at this point I know most of you are going..."OH no he didn't"....oh yes I did....I walked up to the ront of the car and applied a healthy coating of....wait for it....WD40 to everything I could reach behind the wheel....well my stepmom came out and we jumped in the car and took off and headed for home....well as we were coming up to the red light at our street I remembered what I had done, so I told her I had fixed the squeak....well she went to stop and nada, zilch...apparently WD40 also stops brakes from stopping.... she screamed at me "What did you do!!!!!!!" and we sailed right thru the "RED" light...no accident luckily...she being an experienced driver of total POS's had knowledge of how to stop a car with no front brakes(something no one seems to knows now)lol...anyways long story short I learned 2 things that day...1 WD40 stops squeaks because it is a lubricant(not for internal use) and...2 beware of stepmom whos po'ed because you almost killed her....kinda reminds me of a lawsuit in the news a few years back....a fella driving his like 2005 Winnebago down the interstate(all the bells and whistles) turns on the cruise control and gets up to go make a pot of coffee...can ya guess what happened next?....yep that's right he wound up in a ditch!....so he sued Winnebago on the pretense that the "owners manual" "DID NOT" make it clear that the vehicle "COULD NOT" drive it self....he argued that givin the "technical wizardry" of the vehicle, gps ,cruise, satellite, internet, etc... that the "Owners Manual" should have made it clear that "Cruise Control" was not "Auto Pilot"....turns out the jury agreed, he received 1.5 million bucks and a brand new Winnebago....I still cant figure out who's dumber...the guy driving the Winnebago, or the members of the jury who agreed with him....just so ya know both of these are "True" stories...sadly...anyways ill let you guys know how the dist works

Unread 11-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #615
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well yeehaw and butter my biskit...the new distributor cured all my ignition woes...little 232 purrs like a kitten....definitely gonna have to give it some exhaust with nads tho...its way too friggin quiet...if it weren't for the mechanical fan I prolly wouldn't even know it was running...trans seems to work fine and brakes are slowly getting there...there is one hella vibration coming rom the rear...I suspect its my homade driveshaft but there is a roaring as well that goes away when I let off the gas...time to pull diff cover...ive heard that niose before....well that's it for now.....oh ill post a thread on custom sparky plug wires with pics later

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.