"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 09-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #46
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I really like wear this build is going. I thought you where going to pop the body on there and call it a day, but this is going to be good!

ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #47
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
thanks man im glad you like it...i sometimes cant believe it thinking back to what it looked like when i first saw her sitting all alone and neglected in the scrap section at an auto wholesaler....i gave 500$ bucks for her and was paid 200$ for the scrap motor and suspension from under it so before all the new stuff total purchase was 300$...however in my mind she was supposed to be a little closer the ground...but she is completely unloaded at the moment...so im hoping she'll squat a little
I hear ya, what size tires are you running? With those tires and the lift given from the long arms it could squat more, but it still seems like it has a solid stance. How in the heck did you think up how to make the suspension? I would like to attempt this one day, just need to get a little better at welding. Keep up the great work.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #48
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
I hear ya, what size tires are you running? With those tires and the lift given from the long arms it could squat more, but it still seems like it has a solid stance. How in the heck did you think up how to make the suspension? I would like to attempt this one day, just need to get a little better at welding. Keep up the great work.
well originally those were 39.5x18 boggers...now they are like oh say a 36" drag slick...lol my other tires at the moment are 43x11.5 tractor tires..but i hope to level out with a new set of 38.5x15 boggers on 15x8 rims

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #49
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Oh yeah on the question about suspension..well trial and error i guess would be the answer..

Unread 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #50
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
Oh yeah on the question about suspension..well trial and error i guess would be the answer..
Im sure it takes a lot of critiquing getting everything cut perfect, then welding it together, followed by test fitting. Really cool setup, I hope to see a video of it wheelin one day.
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #51
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Im sure it takes a lot of critiquing getting everything cut perfect, then welding it together, followed by test fitting. Really cool setup, I hope to see a video of it wheelin one day.
Yeah it does..and this isnt even a street ride..i do suffer from very minor warpage on the sheet but heck its a 41year old service vehicle..i was worried about it a little even tho it is minor warpage and was considering thin layer of filler then i realised most of it will be covered by armor..so...main reason i had for replacing the sheet was to get rid of rust...but i am still hoping that the rig will be somewhat "pretty" even tho i know im just gonna bash it up...no matter how hard you try to not have too much fun "turtle side up" occurs

Unread 09-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #52
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

yee ha.... the rain is gone and its time for more jeep fun...will post anothr pic filled update soon

Unread 09-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #53
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

here once again its update time...lol....

this one focuses on more stupid cancer and in a yucky place too...i had been putting it off cuz i new it was gonna be a total pain but i guess it turned out ok not like anyones gonna see it anyway...lol
so here goes....
front clip removed again...lol

some pics of the rusty cowl-to-firewall pinch seam/driprail..

just some floorboard rust will get to it later...lol

temporary backing plate to make sure nothing moved during cutting...this is held on with sheetmtal screws to both cowl and firewall, and by loosening the screws it allowed me to use backing plate as a clamp to get new pieces in tight

after cutting rust away

you can see the screws...lol

first piece in ...i left it alittle long so i could get thee lip right

second piece going in...i spotted up all the little cuts...it wasnt any fun..this piece has 2 90deg bends as well as the swoop...uugghhh

a shot from inside the cowl...you can see the welds penetrating thru...

finished product...took 5 pieces and about 6 hrs to fix that area and i know its not pretty but a piece of mat and quick coat of glass and i could make it dissapear but why its a 41 year old service jeep thats finally gonna get its day in the woods it deserves its battle scars ...hehehehe

a little more filling a little grinding and a quick swipe of seam sealer and we all good...lol.......

well stay tuned for the am update ill be adding more tube to the subframe to allocate for the trans tunnel and getting final position of cab on frame,,,cant rally call it a tub can i???...lol

Unread 09-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #54
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Your doing great work keep it up, looks awesome.
Unread 09-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #55
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so its like shortly after 2:30 in th morning where im at...lol....my dad used to be a musician and every night he'd come home sometime between 1:00 and 5:00 and i would have to help get all the gear inside...so even now 25 years later i still cant sleep thru the night so........blah blah blah...so well on to the point,,,pics...yay

body mounts tacked in final position

trans tunnel work..lots more to come on this need more steel...lol

all ground down before primer

in this pic im just showing the little 45'd piece in between tubes a second one has been added

just a little something to finish off the bottom of the tub/cab....(can anyone guess what im using for this....hint its an original piece of the jeep)

ok well once again we come to the end of a........ahh who am i kidding there is no end in sight...however did get one of the sliders made up today and tacked into place...will take pics as i build the second tomorrow and show you the finished "bottom of cab piece"...hope some one has paid enough attention to this build to figure out where the metal came from...lol...tomorrow hope to push/pull truck out to the pulling tree(about an acre away) and get the motor set in chassis....then back to behind the house where there is power

Unread 09-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #56
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

oh yeah finally found "DOODOO" brown in a decent quality rattle can...so now i can test my color scheme...anyways back to bed...lol

Unread 09-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #57
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Slow down man your making to much progress haha. Looks great, your really cleaning the monster up. Keep at it.
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #58
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Loven it im subscribed
Unread 09-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #59
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

So last night i typed up this whole long post about my welder crappin out pn me...and how i fixed it...blah blah blah...but when i tried to post it it went to the internet black hole...i was pissed...especialy since i typed it on my phone..sny ways long story short...welders workin fine and im makin buttloads of progress will post pics tomorrow afternoon....

Unread 09-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #60
cbpldc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What are you using to cut your square tube? I'm trying to amass tools to fix my YJ. Also, I will only have access to a 110 welder as I'm in a 120 y/o home. I've had decent luck with my old flux core campbell/hausfield. Would that be acceptable?

Chris
cbpldc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.