"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 10-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #541
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivester1992 View Post
go zj with the v8
no no no no I don't think ive ever seen a zj I think looks good, or ran right(v8 models)...that and they have skinny shafts...lol

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #542
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

im just a sucker for the v8 is all lol
Unread 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #543
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well today I went and got the shocks, fuel pump n filter, rear shoes, fuel hose n clamps, fuses and terminals,..tomorrow ill order hood latches and tre ends and inserts from ruff stuff...then on Monday window rubber, throttle cable, radiator hoses, and steering gear box....I still need to get by steel supply house and get a stick of 1-1/2 x 1/8 flat to make my tank straps out of and a short piece of 1"id tube for tiebar and drag link...since its a street rig ill go with schedule 80...also I ned to go thru the entire build and make sure I have actually done more than hand tighten all the bolts..im real good at leaving things loose...lol...well im off to install rear shocks ...I lucked out and ended up with the midgrade shocks for same as regular cheapos....granted they are only $20 dollar on-road shocks and not some pimp $200 kings... but hey for a mallcrawler....I also had to grab front and rear pads and wipers for the 2010 caravan(wifes ride and real reason we are broke...that thing has more bells and whistles than the space shuttle)...stay tuned for pics of some sort...lol

Unread 10-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #544
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivester1992 View Post
im just a sucker for the v8 is all lol
I never quite understood why jeep put their bigger motor in the vehicle with the weakest drivetrain...

Unread 10-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #545
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post

I never quite understood why jeep put their bigger motor in the vehicle with the weakest drivetrain...
They came with a rear 44
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #546
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The ZJ Dana 44 has an aluminum housing and little aftermarket support. It does not have a great rep.
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #547
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well despite all good intentions, I got nothing done today(other than shopping.....wife showed up with three giant bags from applebees....got stuffed and watched this movie with matthew mcconeghy (or however you spell his name) called "mud....I was really upset!!!!!no mud, no trucks, just snakes, boats, kids, water, and mr homewrecker himself...well maybe tomorrow

Unread 10-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #548
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
The ZJ Dana 44 has an aluminum housing and little aftermarket support. It does not have a great rep.
Better then the 35! Lol
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #549
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Better then the 35! Lol
I'll give you that
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #550
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Better then the 35! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
I'll give you that
ehhh ill stick with my 60 rear...someday I might feel the need for a 14bolt..but never have managed to hurt the 60 so..
and come on an aluminum axle housing...pfffff that's just plain stupid

Unread 10-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #551
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well so far today my fingers have been hard at work pointing and clicking...now ruff stuff just need to open and get to shipping...I would say id be happily awaiting brown santa...but those parts will show up in an s10 driven from the wrong side...no its not right hand drive dude just drives it from passenger seat...haha I should try and sell him my little dj for like 5000 so I can fund a new project...lol not...would have to be more like 7500...

Unread 10-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #552
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so these parts I orderd from ruff stuff are so I can correct my steering issues...first off im going to have to heat and bend my pitman arm..as the factory arm almost points up...but the problem im having is my draglink pushes the tie bar and turns it for about 1/4 turn before it starts to move the tires coupled with the slop in gearbox(new one getting ordered Monday)..it computes to about almost 5/8 or a turn of steering wheel before tires move...this could/is very dangerous where I live...or anywhere you live for that matter...my suspension is set up SOA using a hp30 front with all stock knuckles...but now steers from right side...modifying linkage in the past was never a problem really due to 2 reasons 1 being they still were left hand drive..and 2 well I always went full hydro...I am attempting to design a tiebar(wheel to wheel) and drag link set up over the factory xj setup...however one of the TRE's I ordered has the hole tapered for OTK steering on a left hand drive vehicle, therefore it would stand to reason if I flipped it to right hand drive and UTK then it would still have the taper in the correct orientation for an attempt at a factory style setup...also have to calculate that the SOA added appox 5-6" of lift, making the drag link want to hit the spring when turning full left(stock pitman arm)...im thinking if I bend the pitman arm and...oh who am I kidding I need help with this one...I was thinking if I bend the pitman arm and put the TRE's under the knuckle when the drag link pushes against the correctly orientated tapered hole spot maybe the force will be transfered correctly....Please, Please, Please, if anyone can help or has some pics of something they think might work please..let me know...

Unread 10-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #553
Headingout
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
well hmm this gives me a bunch to think about.....im really leaning towards a pt cruiser or a liberty........................................... .....................
How about a DJ with a YJ nose and a 4.0?!?
90 GMC 3500 and Airstream (Base Camp)
Headingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #554
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

hey xj guys...I have question about the rear shoes....I got rear shoes for a 92 and they seem to be short and fat...my shoes are long and skinny...does anyone have an idea what year model axles I might have?...they were pretty much free from a guy who couldn't remember the year...all he could remember was that it was 4dr and red..lol...if its any help the front hp30 has disconnect...

Unread 10-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #555
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so a few quick pics...lol...

so this here would be a pic of the opposite of progress..

all back together...

relay and switch harness for the blower motor...

pile o parts.......

shocks installed in rear...

new fuel pump..

now on to fun stuff...on board arms rack...

some tabs..

the hooks...

the tube...

just add arms....

I still have to drill the three mounting holes and fab up the pieces that will allow me to lock everything up....I found that I didn't have enuff steel for the front shock mounts so gonna make that run tomorrow...man it seems like the list of itty bitty things is never ending...well till the next post yo....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.