"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #511
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivester1992 View Post
im not positive on the strength comparison for the hp44 but i do know that reverse cut gears are stronger. i will say that id love to have a hp44 but il probably settle for a hp30
I got lucky wen I picked up the axles for the little dj and scored a hp30 along with the 35 ...and in the big dj I have a hp 44 front backed up by a lp60 rear.......woo hoo ...lol

ok so didnt get much done the last couple days, other than priming the passenger fender to match drivers side...and started testing the electrical circuits with power making sure I don't have any shorts to ground...I hope to have the electrical finished up today..we will just have to see how it goes

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #512
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so as I said, I was going to be working on the electrical system today....seemed like everything was testing fine till I hooked up all the power feeds to the fuse block...I had previously inspected, cleaned, and checked continuity on all the circuits on the fuse block, all was well....hooked up main power to fuseblock and checked power at both sides of each fuse and all power out feeds(i.e. acc, wiper, lights, basicly all the terminals that supply power from he fuse block)...all looked good and had good voltage readings...hooked up all the leads and nothing worked...tested voltage at terminals with wires hooked up, had the requisite 12.somthin volts, wiggled all the wires, nadda....unhooked it all removed fuse block, took it apart, inspected and tested it all again, hooked it all back up...and still not jack....in the end I simply bypassd the main acc fuse with a single atx holder and a 30amp tied into one of the extra acc feed out terminals and everything worked...all this fuse will protect is the occasional back up lights, turn signals, wipers, and dome lamp...with the exception of needing an actual braklight switch and a new neutral/backup light switch connector(trans side) all the lighting circuits are completely functional, including high and low beam, and hazrds...starting circuit is basicly complete just need to mount coil and run cable from solenoid to starter...so im down to that section of the build where every thing is less than 20$ an item and 20min to install/replace/repair...but there are 100 of those little items...lol...hoping to have it cranked and at least movable by sunday...might not be able to go zooming down the road but will at least be able to drive it back to he driveway...

Unread 10-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #513
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

just gotta love uptight people....:ThumbsDown:

anyways got wipers adjusted, had the wrong set of arms on they were hitting the top of the windshield gasket...the rheostat part of my light switch(either one I have 2) does not function so I will have to divert power for the gauge lights...in an effort to make sure everything is spot on once I start driving it, I have chosen to hold off on installing the kenwood for the moment... that way in forced to listen to all the noises it does or doesn't make....I have a design in mind for the on-board weapons storage...it will hold at least 2 rifles/shotguns and be lockable(for when I go in walmart)....ill find a good unconcealed place up-front to mount the hard shell holster for the 9mm...this is going to be my primary hunting vehicle and I have all the necessary permits so I figured it need to be outfitted correctly....I just need to get my(I cant believe im actually going to say this) "Zombie permit"...I used to have a "terrorist permit" but it went away with my 76 ford...ill post pics of the driveshaft fabrication here in a bit..

Unread 10-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #514
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok as promised driveshaft 101....

I started by cleaning up and cutting a section of tube from a previously lengthened shaft....

next I cut the factory shaft in two...

after using a short section of angle iron to align the two pieces of shaft I was able to get an accurate shaft measurement....sorry no pics of that the skeeters were after me...anyways the heres the sleeve..

test fit for snugness,,,it was l little loose not much so I cut some strips of 26ga and shimmed it...

one for all you uptight peeps out there...chillax yo its all-good!!!!!

after a couple quick tacks...the final test fit...

all welded up....yeah I know not as pretty as with gas but hey itll do...

well that's the end of pics for today.....one other thing I forgot to take pics of was I scribed several alignment marks down the entire length of shaft, before cutting....this helps to keep the factory balance close..hopefully I wont have any issues otherwise ill have to have a custom shaft made...ive done this several times with good results, so here to my fingers being crossed....hope you enjoyed

Unread 10-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #515
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
ok as promised driveshaft 101....

I started by cleaning up and cutting a section of tube from a previously lengthened shaft....

next I cut the factory shaft in two...

after using a short section of angle iron to align the two pieces of shaft I was able to get an accurate shaft measurement....sorry no pics of that the skeeters were after me...anyways the heres the sleeve..

test fit for snugness,,,it was l little loose not much so I cut some strips of 26ga and shimmed it...

one for all you uptight peeps out there...chillax yo its all-good!!!!!

after a couple quick tacks...the final test fit...

all welded up....yeah I know not as pretty as with gas but hey itll do...

well that's the end of pics for today.....one other thing I forgot to take pics of was I scribed several alignment marks down the entire length of shaft, before cutting....this helps to keep the factory balance close..hopefully I wont have any issues otherwise ill have to have a custom shaft made...ive done this several times with good results, so here to my fingers being crossed....hope you enjoyed
Great work man! I'm very interested in how the vibes are going to be. Let us know. I might try doing my own and try saving a 100$.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #516
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Simply amazing, everything you're doing, you're doing with min. tools, and no garage over head. Nothing high tech.

That pinion angle looks like it may give you some vibrations. You thinkin' bout shimmin' or just see how it does & address it at that point?

Keep it goin, I wanna see Picts of it runnin!

Oh ya, keep your rants, run-on sentences, & lack of caps / punctuation. Love it & "F" anyone whose got a problem with it.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #517
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronaxtr View Post
Simply amazing, everything you're doing, you're doing with min. tools, and no garage over head. Nothing high tech.

That pinion angle looks like it may give you some vibrations. You thinkin' bout shimmin' or just see how it does & address it at that point?

Keep it goin, I wanna see Picts of it runnin!

Oh ya, keep your rants, run-on sentences, & lack of caps / punctuation. Love it & "F" anyone whose got a problem with it.
Thanks....I tried to get the pinion and trans yokes as close to the same angle as possible...I think the axle will shift upwards a small amount oncei go thru and put the final torque on it..it's not fully seated against the springs yet.....in the past I always eliminated the non slip single joint for a CV double joint section...which eliminates all vibes caused by angle...now as to weather or not it'd balanced or true, is a completely different subject altogether...I did my best so we shall see...

Don't worry if I haven't learned how to control my opinion or learned how to type by now, there's about a 100% chance it's not going to happen...lol...

once again thanks for stopping in and saying hi and giving your advice...while I've owned several XJ's these little jeeps with frames different creatures...it's very different when you try to build a streetable version...

Unread 10-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #518
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well since it was pretty much raining all day today so I donned my rain camo, grabbed some blaze and my noculars, and road out to one of the places I hunt...only real goal was to see if anyone else was thee without permission and to check for sign...passing the first big oak it was apparent there were plenty of possible candidates...this was a tree I normally pass to get to my firs blind location, so I continued on to the area where I had set the first blind up last year, just to find even more sign... I stopped there and went back...last year I observed three different herds of does utilizing different areas of the 250 acres but didn't have the ability to stretch out as far as I would have liked...this year with my new savage model 11.308cal and its 4x12x50 bushnell with adj.paralax, I should have the ability to "reach out and touch someone"...im one of those umm how you say, Dinner Hunters...some would refer to it as being a lazy hunter...around 2:00pm I get in shower, by 3:00 im in the truck...3:45 I pull up at spot, get my camo on, and hike in...now its roughly 4:15-4:20pm...I whip out the machete and whack off a few pine branches, shove em in the ground and sit my but up against the tree...since I chambered a round before I started the hike noise is minimal...now its around 4:45pm...time to pop the top on a dew and wait..usually sometime between 5:00-6:00 if that long pop pop pop out of the woods they come....kablam and walla by 6:30 im usually on the way back to the house with "Deernir"...

Unread 10-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #519
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

It has occurred to me that there are enuff people who don't understand how "easy" it is to work steel into pimpa** pieces, therefore allowing these off-road supply places to overcharge everybody...granted they designed tested and shelled out the bucks for the burn table, the water lubricated drill press, and the metal worker x7000 two station punch/press...and made a few jigs...even tho most of the holes are actually cut with the burn table, it doesn't work on tube...for about 10k in machine's I could start up "Broke D**k 4x4 and Off-Road" ...don't think even at reasonable prices it would take too long to pay off equipment and break a profit...along those same lines tho I would probably need to purchase equipment outright with having to make payments or pay interest....I just know I have to do something...usually get around 7-12k at tax time..might invest instead of buy this time around...not sure yet...

Unread 10-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #520
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

haha il promise some business your way, well so long as you will ship
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #521
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivester1992 View Post
haha il promise some business your way, well so long as you will ship
of course id ship...lol...this year is going to be concrete and roof time(i.e. shop)....see that's my delima...come tax time jeeps are usually under construction and need parts...so ive been choosing between being able to buy parts or buy concrete and building materials...but I guess having a dry safe place to store and work on the jeeps would be very awesome...especially when bare metal is involved...and I could prolly work faster cuz of ease of jacking and all my tools right there instead of around the corner and across the yard in the shed...

speaking of dry places to work...I think I see sunshine...rain rain go away...I want to work on my jeep today..lol...

todas work is prolly going to consist of finishing up under dash items, installing some airhorns so peeps can here me coming, and tring to figure out fuel guage wiring...one of those "I can remember this...I don't need no stinkin notes" things...DOH...well ill take pics as usual...

Unread 10-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #522
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well today basicly sucked donkey balls....found out neither one of the gauges(that looked nice) I reinstalled in the main gauge worked(fuel/temp)...however the two that are well quite faded work superbly...hhrrmmpph...so now I have to rip the main gauge back out disassemble it and switch out the gauges...at least I have functional parts to use, ugly or not...it is a very small area of ugly that I wont really notice but...........back to that adhd..oh look a jeep thing...maybe I could have tested them before hand...oh well...on a different note..i had a left over engine compartment service light from one of my old Datsun 240Z's...so I installed it under hood as if it was there from factory...it has a 3ft cord so its like a mini shop light...when wrapped up it fits in its housing completely enclosed, ill post pics later...main gauge light and aux gauge light all fire up with ignition since the switch rheostat was bad...I did not alter main harness so if I buy new switch everything goes back factory...the original set up for the blower motor was a switch made onto/around the actuator cable..its no bueno...I have a spare wiper switch for a 2 spd motor, blower is a 2 spd motor....see where im going with this(just add relays)....I didn't bother with the air horns as factory horns blast just fine...was actually quite impressed...lol...

I would like to take a moment to plug a fellow jeepers thread...EgulAyes 1980 CJ build....if it wasn't for his passion for detailed posts, I would not have had a schematic from which to figure out my gauge issues...granted it was hand drawn but a very well labeled and clear precise drawing...as far as I know im the only one to stop in and give him a shout...well ill get pics posted in morning till then check out EgulAyes thread....

Unread 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #523
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok once again as promised pics...

first up the little under hood light form one of my retired 72 Datsun 240z's....it looks factory.....i prolly ought to paint it up all pretty like...sorry for the crappy nighttime pic my hands were shaking pretty bad...oh and it has a 3ft reach cord is stored in housing..

rest are just lighting pics...some day some nite...
gauges

disappearing reverse lights...lol

rear parking and check out the brightness of the interior light...ha ill need to get some nightshades...lol

interior light...originally this was mounted on the bottomside of the cardboard headliner which coverd its wire...im going to have to extend it a little in order to route in a manner as to attach it...

and then head lights.woo hoo so so exciting...yay go teamzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz...sorry fell asleep...lol

once I finish the final routing and clean up, ill take more pics...its so close I can almost taste the bugs in my teeth......a

punch list...
bleed brakes
egr block off, and plugs for exhaust manifold where I removed the air injection rail..
decide on which fuel pump to use..mechanical or electric
front shock mounts
throttle cable
stabilizer mounts
radiator hoses
trans lines
heater bypass hose(for now)
bolt up DS
and drive..with the exception of topping off fluids and maybe an oil change...

Unread 10-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #524
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
ok once again as promised pics...

first up the little under hood light form one of my retired 72 Datsun 240z's....it looks factory.....i prolly ought to paint it up all pretty like...sorry for the crappy nighttime pic my hands were shaking pretty bad...oh and it has a 3ft reach cord is stored in housing..

rest are just lighting pics...some day some nite...
gauges

disappearing reverse lights...lol

rear parking and check out the brightness of the interior light...ha ill need to get some nightshades...lol

interior light...originally this was mounted on the bottomside of the cardboard headliner which coverd its wire...im going to have to extend it a little in order to route in a manner as to attach it...

and then head lights.woo hoo so so exciting...yay go teamzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz...sorry fell asleep...lol

once I finish the final routing and clean up, ill take more pics...its so close I can almost taste the bugs in my teeth......a

punch list...
bleed brakes
egr block off, and plugs for exhaust manifold where I removed the air injection rail..
decide on which fuel pump to use..mechanical or electric
front shock mounts
throttle cable
stabilizer mounts
radiator hoses
trans lines
heater bypass hose(for now)
bolt up DS
and drive..with the exception of topping off fluids and maybe an oil change...
Lookin good brother!
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #525
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

its all coming together very nice XD

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.