"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #496
tnhillbilly40

When did jeepers become the writing police? Lol

tnhillbilly40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #497
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhillbilly40 View Post
When did jeepers become the writing police? Lol
hey when you are as awesome as I am people find fault where ever they can...lmfao....no but seriously...you wanna see some awesome check out the work done by "MarsFab" in North Carolina...that Chris Mars fella is plain and simply BAD TO THE BONE.....if I could ever just sit and drool at welding beads/runs it would be to his...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #498
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

apparently the prior owner of the lil DJ did not own or know what a hammer was....I say this after grinding out what appears to be at least a qt. or more of bondo out of the passenger fender....I was actually happy with what I found...I was expecting to find giant rust holes, but all I really found was a fender in need of...wait for it...bom bom be bom "Hammer Time" bom bom be bom "cant touch this"...oh sorry got a little carried away there....after about 30min of hammering I got the fender to at least a state I could live with....its kinda like our flag...a little wavy...but like I said I can live with that...now I could apply some filler now that its sorta like a fender again but that in itself is a waste of time and money...id never get it right and a new replacement(used) fender is only 50$...but it is straight enuff to use nas a flat-fender start so back to the decisions again(as this is really just a grocery getter)...well ive been taking loads of pics which I will post later tonight so stay tuned fellow jeepers........JeepJeep...

oops sorry almost forgot.....,,,'''--cap cap cap,,..!?(insert where needed thanks)

Unread 10-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #499
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so here are the pics as promised...

this is what I had to work with.....

after a lot of grinding...

after about 30min of hammering and tacking the cracks...I ran out of wire so will have to finish welding them later as well as patching the hideous hole in the inner fender...I figured pics of it on the jeep were as good as ones off the jeep...lol...also note the welded on vent doors...

threw a little glossy paint on to show the waves...I didn't paint the whole fender I was just trying to see how wavey it really was this will be sanded back off, primed then repainted...lol..I know im so wasteful...and love the double work....but just had to see how it looked with paint...

poser pics...lol..

well did manage to get the horns plugged up as well as the head lights....and located in the huge pile of nuts, bolts, brackets, and whatnot, the 2 springs for the vent doors...and I swapped this hood over from the big DJ for now while I paint the other one...the one I took off is much straighter than the one I just put on...you can se the dents in the pic..so I will be swapping them back out when its done..back to that extra work thing again...lol

even though I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, its probably just a mirage...lol..so that's what I got for ya today...oh yea saw these little round amber lights at harbor freight..they were about 1.5" in dia and had this neat little black trim ring...they looked super jeepy but I didn't have the cash with me to grab em, but am going tomorrow so I can get turn signals in front...way I see it headlights make excellent marker lights so unless they be two wire, then, blinkers only in front it is...down here once you pay your 5$ for inspection the state troopers could care less what works on your car...long as you aren't drunk going thru the overly regular roadblocks...lol..

Unread 10-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #500
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Is the rear diff out of the other dj? Little dj looks good, nice paint on the hood.
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #501
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Is the rear diff out of the other dj? Little dj looks good, nice paint on the hood.
thanks the paint is actually over a year old...I haven't done the paint work to the actual hood yet...yes the 60 rear is missing its diff...that's one of the main hold ups on the Big one...waiting on full spool,4.56 g2's and install kit...even tho I just built the front with 3.54's(used) I have the new carrier 4,56's and install kit for it sitting on my box...had the money in hand to get them for the 60 rear when I found the little DJ...oops...lol...and ding so strikes the adhd...ladeda getting the mud truck done ladeda...oh look a jeep...my riding buddys up in tn are all POed at me...I got almost done with my bronco decided the body was done...turned it into "Clifford the big red jeep(xj))..decided I didn't like how it felt(like a drunken elephant)...started the big DJ...almost got it finished, and along comes little buddy here and im pretty sure they are taking bets as to if ill ever actually finish another truck...lmfao

Unread 10-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #502
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
thanks the paint is actually over a year old...I haven't done the paint work to the actual hood yet...yes the 60 rear is missing its diff...that's one of the main hold ups on the Big one...waiting on full spool,4.56 g2's and install kit...even tho I just built the front with 3.54's(used) I have the new carrier 4,56's and install kit for it sitting on my box...had the money in hand to get them for the 60 rear when I found the little DJ...oops...lol...and ding so strikes the adhd...ladeda getting the mud truck done ladeda...oh look a jeep...my riding buddys up in tn are all POed at me...I got almost done with my bronco decided the body was done...turned it into "Clifford the big red jeep(xj))..decided I didn't like how it felt(like a drunken elephant)...started the big DJ...almost got it finished, and along comes little buddy here and im pretty sure they are taking bets as to if ill ever actually finish another truck...lmfao
We both know you have it in you to get the dj's done...so you can start on an xj
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #503
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

I forgot to mention that I just built the motor and transmission in the big DJ...both have less that 3hrs of run time...one of the other big debate with it at this point is t-case gearing...the 205 only has a ratio of 1.9, say verses a 208 which has ratio of 2.72, but is a slip yoke style case...if I buy a klune v goliath and adaptor i only lose 6" of driveshaft in the rear...that in it self is sort of a problem as well, being as front driveshaft is already going to be a little over 4'....to clarify all the stuff in this post if about the big DJ...along those same lines tho according to advance adaptor a np231 will bolt up to a Chrysler trans with the factory adaptor that was running a 205, and from what i understand all the 205s had the same input spline counts and bolt patterns just different clocking...so it would stand to reason that should i cho0se to go with a chain case i should be able to bolt the 231 i have up to my c6 and using a sye since i haven't modded this case yet,, to cure those issues...if that darn 205 didn't weigh 700lbs id already have tried the swap...getting it out is easy its putting it back in that's the pia...not only is it too far off ground to jack, but case itself is stupid shaped and basicly unjackable...well im going to bed now, ive babbled enuff again..

Unread 10-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #504
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
We both know you have it in you to get the dj's done...so you can start on an xj
you really do want my wife to strangle me don't you...

nite jeepers

Unread 10-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #505
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well got driveshaft built today...was going to install it till I realized drilling the dana35 pinion yoke, would weaken it too much...so I got to find n buy a set of factory ujoint strps n bolts...I wanna say I can get them at autozone...but cant remember..ill have pics later of shaft fabrication...

Unread 10-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #506
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok quick question....can someone tell me what the difference in the high or low pinion 30's?...other that the fact that the housing is flipped and pinion is up top...basicly im trying to find out why everyone would rather have the hp30 vs the lp 30...is it just for pinion angle or is there something else that makes them desirable?...I lucked out and mine is a hp30 but its got the disconnect...my 44 is also a hp..I know I seemed to break it a lot less that people running the gm version of a lp44...

Unread 10-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #507
tsstoudt
Web Crawler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hi, as far as I can tell it's mainly more clearance for the pinion shaft.
Unread 10-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #508
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok quick question....can someone tell me what the difference in the high or low pinion 30's?...other that the fact that the housing is flipped and pinion is up top...basicly im trying to find out why everyone would rather have the hp30 vs the lp 30...is it just for pinion angle or is there something else that makes them desirable?...I lucked out and mine is a hp30 but its got the disconnect...my 44 is also a hp..I know I seemed to break it a lot less that people running the gm version of a lp44...
the hp 30 uses reverse cut gears instead of standard, which makes them very close in strength to the dana 44. allot of tj guys swap their lp 30 out for a trussed up or sleeved hp 30
4.88s, 35 inch mud rovers, 4.5 inch rubicon express springs, homemade lower control arms, 4 inch rc 2.0 shocks, rc quick discos, eautogrilles rockers and corners. soon to come rc long arms, and turbo for 2.4l (all the parts have been gathered im just deployed and cant install it yet)
ivester1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #509
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivester1992 View Post
the hp 30 uses reverse cut gears instead of standard, which makes them very close in strength to the dana 44. allot of tj guys swap their lp 30 out for a trussed up or sleeved hp 30
So then it would stand to reason that my hp44 is leaning towards a 60 in strength..comparativly...and why i never broke as often as the guys running Chevy 44's

Unread 10-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #510
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So then it would stand to reason that my hp44 is leaning towards a 60 in strength..comparativly...and why i never broke as often as the guys running Chevy 44's
im not positive on the strength comparison for the hp44 but i do know that reverse cut gears are stronger. i will say that id love to have a hp44 but il probably settle for a hp30
4.88s, 35 inch mud rovers, 4.5 inch rubicon express springs, homemade lower control arms, 4 inch rc 2.0 shocks, rc quick discos, eautogrilles rockers and corners. soon to come rc long arms, and turbo for 2.4l (all the parts have been gathered im just deployed and cant install it yet)
ivester1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.