"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #481
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so its official...having adhd sucks!!!!!!! even with lists to try and help me not skip over things, it would seem I still miss small "IMPORTANT" steps...like removing that known bad exhaust manifold to flange stud "while" I had the manifold off.....so far im an hour into the process(with manifold on vehicle) and I have it turning 3/4 of a turn...uugghhh...so in an effort to maintain some "self dignity" im gonnablame this on..umm..lets see..beer..yeah that's it beer...yep musta been drunk when I bolted that manifold on there...that's my story and im sticking to it....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #482
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

yay got stud out and replaced.......exhaust is on and finished...was gonna get fuel ines in but all I can do is get them mocked up...forgot about the burn thru/paint damage from the welding on the bed...so got to spray underside with something...at least all I will have to do is leave the tank fittings loose....also I just cant seem to make up my mind as to whether or not to use my holley pump...I can get a pump for 20$ but have other items I need to spend cash on...hmmm decisions decisions...will have pics of the carnage and finished exhaust here in a bit....

Unread 10-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #483
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so heres what I got done today...

exhaust....check...
able to be steered....check...still have to add stabilizer...
fuel lines ran....check...
quarter vent doors welded on ....check...

other than that just spent a bunch of time sorting out fasteners...

Unread 10-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #484
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so this post if for all you other jeepers out there...the reason I say this is because at the moment I am not using a normal jeep t-case...but I will again in the future....

"lets talk about space"...
more importantly empty space...what am I talking about you ask...well let me tell you(this may end up slightly off topic but I will return)...in my past wheeling adventures I have only had to be removed from the trails(dead in the water) 3 times...1st time was when I put both front wheel under the front doors(RE lower arms snapped in half...don't ask)...2nd time I blew the 4.0ho(had been knocking for 3 years)...3rd time I locked up the t-case and was stuck in 4' of water for an hour and 45 minutes floating on my back removing the driveshafts so I could be pulled out(all 4 wheels locked as well)...so heres where I get back on point....
the reason the t-case locked up was due too the planetary gears....and now we are back to that empty space idea...the "NP(model #)-J"..."J" for jeep t-cases have the same design internally as the "C" t-cases from a full size chevy(long as the model # is the same except for input and output splines)....ok I can see the look on your faces, yall are thinking this fool done gone bumped his head...what has this got to do with us jeepers...well ill tell ya...that empty space I keep referring to is the 3 empty slots on your existing planetary gear setup..(I.E. planetarys, the three little gears that revolve around the big one generating the gear ratio)...its these 3 little gears that transfer all the power inside your t-case(don't get me wrong these are some BA little gears)...now I don't know of anyone else who has exploded thiers but hey cant ever have too much bombproofness...so heres how you fix this...even tho the planetary carrier/housing whatever you wanna call it has the spots machined into it for the other 3 gears it hasn't been drilled and I don't think you can buy just the gears so what you do is...throw on your im a cheap Ba***rd pants and grab yer tools and get to looking for a junkyard chevy case(around here $75)...tear it down and remove its planetarys...now you have a 6 gear solar system...then while you have your t-case apart either replacing the chain and/or the sye kit slap your new stronger even more indestructible gear setup in.....this is a fully streetable upgrade and t-case will operate as if from factory...the reason they didn't use the 6 vs 3 gear setup in the jeeps is simply a weight related issue....I know of several other t-case tricks(as in what internals are swappable and how to modify input shafts and whatnot but all render case locked in 4low)...its funny what you can learn on those, I got a bunch of broken pieces and no money times, when you ARE going to be riding on Saturday no matter what...lol....im sure most of you have never even thought about your planetarys, I know I hadn't before that fateful day....I hope someone finds this tech tip useful....thanks for reading..

Unread 10-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #485
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so sorry for the lack of pics...however I have been quite busy...the time has come for me to take a momentary lapse in the making of prettiness and get on with the making function part...gun season opens in 30 days, and my freezer is "rempty" as Scooby doo would say.....if I can clean it and paint it quickly it might happen but for all intense purposes things might get left ugly and pulled off one at a time later and made pretty then....larger bulkier items ill at least tend too to some extent...the fenders are most likely gonna be replaced with some aftermarket ones of some sort so they will only see primer...ones trashed anyways...radiator is in I have decided to pressure test it the old fashioned way..on vehicle, full of water, and at operating temp...I will at least clean the trans lines before bolting them back on and flare the ends(where I had to cut them for removal) for a better hold once I put the new rubber hoses on...it has been threatening to rain all day so I have not yet messed with the valve seals..so I have the passenger(left) fender off still for easy access....am quite tired as I have been humping it for the last two days, so it will still be a day or two before the pics roll in....bear with me...

Unread 10-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #486
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Take your time freak you have progressed more in the last month than most do period. Your xj was a 98' right? Will any year chevy np231 C have internals worthy of swapping?
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #487
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Take your time freak you have progressed more in the last month than most do period. Your xj was a 98' right? Will any year chevy np231 C have internals worthy of swapping?
the only difference ive noticed between the different years on the np231..is some of the early years had a different length bearing housing(input side) and the later ones had the slipyoke outside the case seal...as far as internally I haven't noticed any difference nor did I ever think to look for one...most of the time it was cram on Friday after work to make it to junkyard then back home to get her ready for Saturday...and "Cliford the big red jeep" was a 99...the one with the kayaks and exo was a 87 body, 93 4.0, 91 aw4, 93 harness putters and gauges, and multiple versions of tcase...the latest case was the case from the red 99...after collecting all he stuff for it(Clifford) to have 2.5 tons and 56" tires powered by ford big block only to basicly let it all go for $1750...and then the guy told me he scrapped the whole project...I could just be sick...lol...remember all you want from the case is the planetary gear chunk...I guess depending on how fresh the case was you might be able to save some of the other parts gears, chain whatnot...definitely the front output shaft bearings...but like I said earlier I have never even heard of anyone else blowing their planetarys...and power wise you don't notice any change its just a piece of mind thing...I always plan a weak link to failsome thing easy like a ujoint at the pinion from autozone...mostly cuz with me its not a question of if im gonna break...just what and how bad...I have one heavy right foot and it gets heavier after 4th beer

Unread 10-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #488
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
the only difference ive noticed between the different years on the np231..is some of the early years had a different length bearing housing(input side) and the later ones had the slipyoke outside the case seal...as far as internally I haven't noticed any difference nor did I ever think to look for one...most of the time it was cram on Friday after work to make it to junkyard then back home to get her ready for Saturday...and "Cliford the big red jeep" was a 99...the one with the kayaks and exo was a 87 body, 93 4.0, 91 aw4, 93 harness putters and gauges, and multiple versions of tcase...the latest case was the case from the red 99...after collecting all he stuff for it(Clifford) to have 2.5 tons and 56" tires powered by ford big block only to basicly let it all go for $1750...and then the guy told me he scrapped the whole project...I could just be sick...lol...remember all you want from the case is the planetary gear chunk...I guess depending on how fresh the case was you might be able to save some of the other parts gears, chain whatnot...definitely the front output shaft bearings...but like I said earlier I have never even heard of anyone else blowing their planetarys...and power wise you don't notice any change its just a piece of mind thing...I always plan a weak link to failsome thing easy like a ujoint at the pinion from autozone...mostly cuz with me its not a question of if im gonna break...just what and how bad...I have one heavy right foot and it gets heavier after 4th beer
NOOOO I can see another mega xj build in your future! So the other 3 planetaries bolt onto the existing or are longer bolts needed? Getting ready to replace my np231 chain and shift pads, curious as to what needs replaced while I'm in there.
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #489
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

im dying for some more pictures
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #490
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
NOOOO I can see another mega xj build in your future! So the other 3 planetaries bolt onto the existing or are longer bolts needed? Getting ready to replace my np231 chain and shift pads, curious as to what needs replaced while I'm in there.
no the entire assembly must be swaped..its simply a matter of pulling the necessary snap rings..no bolts..yeah if you got it torn all the way down to have forks out your most of the way there..that big main shaft assembly slides right into the planetarys....I mean I have a 231 I guess I could do a tear down just to show how to remove and replace the assembly even tho I don't have a set to install at the moment...and yes quite possibly another xj is looming in the future...

Unread 10-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #491
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivester1992 View Post
im dying for some more pictures
hey ...hey... don't get too salty there...popcorn...all in good time...

Unread 10-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #492
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so for all you folks hounding me for pics...I wont mention any names^^^^^^.....heres the latest set of pics...

first a couple more of the stinger(with bedliner)

bits and pieces of stuff gathered to make valve spring compressor...I ended up using 2 pieces of 1/2" round solid 3 1/2" long instead of the 2 bolts...

the finished tool...I drilled a 3/8" hole thru the jack handle for a pivot for the actual contact piece, and added a stretched out piece of tube around the bottom side of the washer to prevent slippage....took about 30 minutes in all to make and cost well....nothing...

valve cover removed...

and rockers...

first spring off..new seal on...as you can see im using the rocker arm bolt with a nut to secure the tool to the head...it worked super easy, with out all that fuss of trying to keep it from slipping off the springs, or binding up like the ones from the local parts stores....took about 1 hr total to replace all 12 seals including time to pull and stuff cord...

rockin right along over half way done...woot woot

yay last one...this was a little tight to the fire wall and still took less than 5 minutes to do both the seals...

all back together...

whats left of the old seals...

even tho I have a rather large air compressor, I chose to use the old school rope method to prevent valves from dropping...just in case you don't know what I mean ill explain...No I did not tie a rope to the end of the valve stem......you simply make sure piston is at its lowest point , then you stuff about 3-4ft of 1/8-3/8" braided or woven nylon cord in thru sparky plug hole turn motor till it stops and walla valves cant go anywhere...

the one fender that is on is there till I have a replacement it has a couple of cracks ill weld up on the inner fender part..i may end up fabing up my own flatfenders not sure yet...
im about 80% on the wiring and am not sure if I like the steering setup or not(I have to take in mind its manual not power)...even tho I said I wasn't going to do anything to the passenger/left front fender I have decided to at least grind all the bondo off of it, id rather it look like a piece in need of repair than a piece with a really bad and deteriorated repair...well my immediate goal is to get everything I can done that requires the least amount of funds till the 25th...then ill get shocks(I know I didn't get them), brake shoes and hardware kit, window seals, spark plugs, points, alt belt, and steering gear.....I told the wife I need approx. $600 to finish it to good running condition with a little paint work left..she said we hopefully should be able to swing it so I gots my fingers crossed....well that's all for now

Unread 10-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #493
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thanks thats coming along quite well. you do good work
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #494
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivester1992 View Post
thanks thats coming along quite well. you do good work
are most welcome...and back at ya

Unread 10-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #495
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so todays projects will be de-bondoing passenger fender and getting it mounted, and engine compartment wiring hook up...maybe more depending on how I feel...

and for those "grammaticly correct" people who question my typing skills...lol...the large groupings of periods between run-on sentences is because I forgot to put the periods where they go...so I place them all in a row, leaving it up to yall to place them where you see fit(in your mind)....if anyone needs extra hyphen's,comma's,apostraphy's or cap's...just let me know and ill throw a lineup of those in every so often as well...thanks...

as for the misspelling the puter is supposed to fix that so cant help ya there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.