"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #436
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thats just a little to epic Freak. That thing is mean. Can't wait for trail pics.

Unread 09-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #437
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Thats just a little to epic Freak. That thing is mean. Can't wait for trail pics.
thanks man!! I was slightly impressed myself, at least with the rear...I think would be happier with a good set of front springs like some deavers or something that still gives 6 " of lift but actually flexes...I really would have liked it if the one front tire had tucked and the other had drooped resulting in a little bit more level body stance...rather than the front pretty much staying parallel to itself...but for the first test I guess it did ok, was built with free parts(springs at least) so

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #438
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #439
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Awesome.
thanks....I try...lmfao..

ok so for years I have well just run without rear brakes for 2 reasons..1st doing drum brakes on a non slip on drum 60 sucks butt...and second if you encounter much sandy mud when wheelin you only have brakes like the first 3-4 rides at least that's been my experience..so usually to save what little money and weight as I can the rear drums and hardware usually get eliminated...current 60 has drums still but they are empty...after doing some research heres what I found ill even break it all down for ya

$50.00 x 2 + shipping bolt on caliper brackets(Ruff Stuff specialties)
$17.99+$16.00core x 2 calipers from 1975 3/4 ton chevy 4x4..yuk
$ 9.99 cheapest friggin brake pads ever (Oriely's)
$37.99 x 2 rotors also from 1975 3/4 ton 4x4...yuk
--------------
$254.00+tax and shipping

that's not a bad price at all for a rear disc brake conversion....the ruff stuff page did say that 1/10 of an inch might be needed to be turned from the throat of the rotor but how much could that cost that can be done at any brake shop or if yer buddy has a lathe...lol...sorry just got excited about this...as these are all cheap parts even a poor boy like me can afford to buy a little here and there with out the lump sum purchase...when you have multiple daughters and a granbaby seems like there is a never ending clothing budget stealing my jeep money...lol...im pretty sure they make something that might have prevented all this(cough cough condom cough)..lol j/k wouldn't trade my girls fer anything...anyways just wanted to share that info with yall

Last edited by freaknajeep; 09-26-2013 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: white boy cant add
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #440
84jeepcj7rock

Badass. I love different stuff.

I like the simplicity of radius arms. My only concern is that if something happens to one of the arms like a rod end failure , the whole axle will come out. The trac bars are really short which means the axle will translate from side to side as it moves up and down. Not a big deal off road as long as you have clearance. I had an issue with hitting a spring during articulation b/c of that. There's my 2 ct. Looks awesome.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #441
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
Badass. I love different stuff.

I like the simplicity of radius arms. My only concern is that if something happens to one of the arms like a rod end failure , the whole axle will come out. The trac bars are really short which means the axle will translate from side to side as it moves up and down. Not a big deal off road as long as you have clearance. I had an issue with hitting a spring during articulation b/c of that. There's my 2 ct. Looks awesome.
yeah my trac bars are short but tried and true, they have been on three of my rigs so far...they are swung opposite to prevent both side from shifting in the same direction at the same time helping to eliminate rollover...gives is kinda a wiggle feel when flexing hard rapidly...so far to date in the three years prior to this build I haven't had a rod end fail, however have just about every other thing go wrong that could...gotta love flying blind with untested designs...lol..the strange rear setup I have about 8-10,000 miles of trails riding on on and the currie jj's re still tight as ever. so im not really concerned with it... although my frame mounts will be something I watch closely for a bit tho....my only concern with the front arms strenghtwise is the adj joint at frame the threaded area is only 1.25" in dia. and may change these out to weld on joints as I have oh bout half a dosen laying around...one income tax a few years back I ordered 20 jj's 16 2.5" weld ons and 4 of the 1.25 x2.5" adj's...why im really not sure...lol I wanna say I should have between 6-8 left in a box somewhere...might be in my storage up in tn..ehhh...well thanks for your input and springs do rub inside the mountings a small amt., but don't hit any of the suspension cmponents...I need to finish this so I can test it it some nasty conditions to see how she really works...well back to mowing the 1.5 acre yard...made easy thanks to john deere...woohoo...then its beer thirty

Unread 09-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #442
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

that thing is a monster

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #443
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86 View Post
that thing is a monster
Haha...someday I'll have the cash to purchase and build a 60 front then it will be a monster...right now it's just s mutant on roids...lol..

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #444
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

just thought i would chime in. awesome builds
Unread 09-27-2013, 03:49 AM   #445
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivester1992 View Post
just thought i would chime in. awesome builds
Well man thanks for stopping in...I would say kick off your shoes and kick back..instead I'll say thanks and be safe wherever you are...

So let's see hmmmm progress..oh yeah ...I cut my yard and measured my ground clearance to diff...14" front, 13.5" rear.....and that's about it...lol...well hmmmmm......happy happy happy

Unread 09-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #446
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so like now im patiently awaiting the arrival of the big brown dog piper(brown santa)...Mondays a long way off..fuel cell and fittings on the way woot woot...here in a bit gonna run to town for shocks,lines, and hoses and possibly some bed liner of sorts...and the piece of 2" tube for my driveshaft...oh yea...and the most important purchase of all a dadgum tarp(one with out holes)..to keep my jeep happy and dry....wouldn't mind one of those so called portable canvas garages..but then id just catch it on fire and burn my jeep up...lol...must say ive done pretty good here recently tho, hadn't had flaming crotch in a while(don't act like you don't know what im talking about...everybodys done it)..you know your sitting there indian style welding away, till you smell the smoke and feel the heat...then its a mad dash for the hose or the demise of your beer...beating the flames out only results in further injury...lol

Unread 09-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #447
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well I prolly should get a life and do something beside bother you guys...lol and i really need to drop radiator off at the shop to see if it can be repaired($65 vs $300)...and need to order window gaskets/seals for the quarter windows...but this is the first in almost 7mths. that moneys right again...stupid repo garnishment(broken t-belt,interference engine,9 bent valves,F that POS)...so wife said "get it done, then get yer butt back on fixing the house"...ha little does she realize ITS DEER SEASON AGAIN...ill get right on the house say oh umm around feb 1st...lmfao....think ill settle for stuffing my face at outback instead...

Unread 09-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #448
LukeRabe
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't yet posted either, as I don't post much in the forum and spend what little time I have trying to get my jeep road worthy. I have been keeping up with your thread ever since I caught up at page 14 or so, and man can I say that I love your work. I as well, work on a low budget and with limited stuff, but you're a true testament that crazy things can still be created. Keep up the awesome work man, I love the direction these builds are going.
LukeRabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #449
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
Well man thanks for stopping in...I would say kick off your shoes and kick back..instead I'll say thanks and be safe wherever you are...

So let's see hmmmm progress..oh yeah ...I cut my yard and measured my ground clearance to diff...14" front, 13.5" rear.....and that's about it...lol...well hmmmmm......happy happy happy
thanks, im almost done with the deployment. i cant wait to get back and put hands on my tj, i tame the withdrawals by reading through other builds. i have to agree, thats one sick dj. when i get back il have my newest project started, i scored a turbo for the 2.4l. its been done before but its a pretty rare occurance. ive already got a thread on it. if you have any input itd be greatly appreciated
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #450
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivester1992 View Post
thanks, im almost done with the deployment. i cant wait to get back and put hands on my tj, i tame the withdrawals by reading through other builds. i have to agree, thats one sick dj. when i get back il have my newest project started, i scored a turbo for the 2.4l. its been done before but its a pretty rare occurance. ive already got a thread on it. if you have any input itd be greatly appreciated
once again thanks guys....one of the things I like most about this forum vs say a local one is I get to share ideas and opinions with people from all over...up until I was about 30, once a year for about 3-4 months I would take a leave from work, pay up all my bills, park my cars, and fill up my backpack with whatever I thought I might need depending on where I was heading and I would hitchhike the country...ive been to all but 4 states and half of those with my sheppard(R.I.P. Rainbow)...I met all kinds of awesome people along the way...this forum is like a daily road trip for me....lol...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.