"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #31
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok time for another pic filled update...lol

so heres the body going back on...notice all the extra folks around to help with this...lol...ha i did it in about 10min with 3 peices of pipe and 2 ratchet straps...

and "POOF" its a jeep...lol....front clip held on with like 3 bolts just for s**ts and giggles

forward body mount and their relation to link tabs..oh yeah not welded yet...lol

subframe and lower door sill bracing

some shots of interior sheetmetal and under dash/cowl..got a little surface rust here but nothing i cant fix...lol

couple more poser pics...lol

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #32
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

today we rest...lol

Unread 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #33
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so much for resting...i test fitted a seat(you know a couple 2x4 blocks) and realized that with out modifications to subframe and rear floor and fender wells ill never be able to sit confortably...so now its back to the "funtimes" drawing board...phooey...will post pics of the new carnage shortly

Unread 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #34
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so i promised pics of the carnage also known as make room for seating...well heres a few pics

Unread 09-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #35
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Ok shop tip time...lol...i know if you read bunches of these threads some of you looking to "build" your rig you can easily get discouraged...dont..a little common sense and a few decent tools will get you every where...and by decent i DO NOT mean tools from harbor freight..that 20$ grinder will cost you the same as that 40$ name brand grinder with twice the time and gas...get your self 4-5 visegrip brand clamps a couple of good bar clamps...a good angle grinder remove the guard soon as you get to run the 6" cutoff wheels(i only use the dewalt wheels)...and a good midrange wirefeed welder...i preffer miller 220volt personaly but have seen good work from a hobart 110volt...having said this..i do own a plasma cutter torches a stick welder a miller and a tig welder...also a bender and notcher...but 90% of my fab work gets done with just my miller and angle grinder...oh and a mini fridge is nice too ..keeps your travel time down while replenishing beer supply...i.dont need mini fridge tho have sliding glass door and 3 kids...lol...well feel free to ask about techniqes and methods on fabbing particulary sheet metal its what i used to do before wrought iron...cheers have a great night

Unread 09-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #36
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How are you cutting the sheet metal for the work you were doing on the wheel wells?
Unread 09-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #37
cbpldc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
Ok shop tip time...lol...i know if you read bunches of these threads some of you looking to "build" your rig you can easily get discouraged...dont..a little common sense and a few decent tools will get you every where...and by decent i DO NOT mean tools from harbor freight..that 20$ grinder will cost you the same as that 40$ name brand grinder with twice the time and gas...get your self 4-5 visegrip brand clamps a couple of good bar clamps...a good angle grinder remove the guard soon as you get to run the 6" cutoff wheels(i only use the dewalt wheels)...and a good midrange wirefeed welder...i preffer miller 220volt personaly but have seen good work from a hobart 110volt...having said this..i do own a plasma cutter torches a stick welder a miller and a tig welder...also a bender and notcher...but 90% of my fab work gets done with just my miller and angle grinder...oh and a mini fridge is nice too ..keeps your travel time down while replenishing beer supply...i.dont need mini fridge tho have sliding glass door and 3 kids...lol...well feel free to ask about techniqes and methods on fabbing particulary sheet metal its what i used to do before wrought iron...cheers have a great night
Words to live by!
Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Chris
cbpldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #38
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnhunter View Post
How are you cutting the sheet metal for the work you were doing on the wheel wells?
I used my angle grinder with the dewalt 6" cutoff disc...then i clamped each peice on my trailer tubes..to bend the flange with a hammer...that way each peice had a flange to weld to

Unread 09-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #39
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Ok i have officialy decided i am sick of sheetmetal work...lol buy i did get some trouble/difficult areas taken care of today...will post more informative update with pics some time tomorrow

Unread 09-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #40
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Subbin this mega awesome build, you sir have some crazy fabrication skills!
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #41
XJ_Renegade
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Doing what you can with what you got. I love it!
[COLOR=White] White Jeep Club Member #108 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]R.I.P. Troy Edwards[/COLOR]

My Build Thread: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99-xj-project-arctic-wolf-1126101/"]Project [color="white"]Arctic Wolf[/color][/URL]
XJ_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #42
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Ok pics to come tommorow..get ready ..lol...and to those who have cared to comment thanks...makes me feel good about saving this old service vehicle...cheers

Unread 09-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #43
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I cannot tell you how awesome your build is, or how sick your Jeeps stance looks. Great work cant wait to see more!
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #44
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so as i promised time for pic filled update...lol..so lets start off with something easy...like

Drip rails(lead edge of doors)...lol
as they originally were..granted this is the driver side but i had started cutting on passenger side before pics

passenger side after first cut

second cut and final modification...still have to finish weld and grind but you get the idea..now i rolled the factory lip down to the body edge so it looks like jeep did it

Passenger side sheet metal(body, dont forget its right hand drive...lol)
before...

after..once again im concentrating on getting everything tacked in will finish weld later in week after rain goes away

the stupid little corner..uugghh small but a PIA none the less

after a coat of rust reformer even tho it wasnt rusted(knew rain was coming...lol)

after rusty metal primer in the dark...lol

Drivers side sheet metal(body)
cancer...YUCK

there was cancer here but i cut it out

first piece in...thought i had a better pic sorry

from the inside

more cancer oh no!!!

after some surgery..i coated the pillar with rest reformer before replacing sheet metal

after tacking all metal in(the piece on the pillar has holes drilled and plug welded)

after coat of rust reformer

well thats about it for today its posed to rain thru tomorrow...so wont be getting to much done..might try and clean up heater box components...and one of these days ill figure wtf is up with my phone and the random pic sizes...lol

Unread 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #45
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
I cannot tell you how awesome your build is, or how sick your Jeeps stance looks. Great work cant wait to see more!
thanks man im glad you like it...i sometimes cant believe it thinking back to what it looked like when i first saw her sitting all alone and neglected in the scrap section at an auto wholesaler....i gave 500$ bucks for her and was paid 200$ for the scrap motor and suspension from under it so before all the new stuff total purchase was 300$...however in my mind she was supposed to be a little closer the ground...but she is completely unloaded at the moment...so im hoping she'll squat a little

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.