"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 08-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #301
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok for some reason i have this memory from when i was much younger that cleaning up old nasty greasy motors was fun....can anyone remind me of how this might be true..lol...i guess its only due to the fact that the garage where i turned wrenches in the mid 90's had a diesel powered steam pressure washer....using only degreaser and a garden hose is definitly not the right way to have fun doing it....lol...if i had the time and the cash id strip the motor down to "long block" status and tape all the hole and that would make it much easier but this project has allready gone way over its limits both time and moneywise...so basicly im coming down to the point of maybe motor and trans wont be painted up fresh just yet nor the x-members....also did a little measuring and as of now my rear DS is only going to be about 18" long...for a 2wd street rig with no suspension travel expected this is fine...but iffy on a 4wd rig..now heres where it get yucky...once tcase and adapter are installed(much later) the rear shaft will only be about 7" long....so for now i guess im goint to clean up frame for the most part and shoot it with some black...paint the bare metal on the axles, same with rear springs, and concentrate on just making it all work as a 2wd for the moment...ill go ahead and finish up what im doing to the body for now to prevent any future rust or degradation...and start amassing parts...actually im going to get back on the big one....still got all the new stuff to install in the front end and wiring i can be doing at the moment....so bear with me folks...its hard having "AD-HD" im on a highway to he-- oh look a jeep".......and just because...IT LOOKS LIKE ITS GOING TO RAIN....uuuggghhh...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #302
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep
ok for some reason i have this memory from when i was much younger that cleaning up old nasty greasy motors was fun....can anyone remind me of how this might be true..lol...i guess its only due to the fact that the garage where i turned wrenches in the mid 90's had a diesel powered steam pressure washer....using only degreaser and a garden hose is definitly not the right way to have fun doing it....lol...if i had the time and the cash id strip the motor down to "long block" status and tape all the hole and that would make it much easier but this project has allready gone way over its limits both time and moneywise...so basicly im coming down to the point of maybe motor and trans wont be painted up fresh just yet nor the x-members....also did a little measuring and as of now my rear DS is only going to be about 18" long...for a 2wd street rig with no suspension travel expected this is fine...but iffy on a 4wd rig..now heres where it get yucky...once tcase and adapter are installed(much later) the rear shaft will only be about 7" long....so for now i guess im goint to clean up frame for the most part and shoot it with some black...paint the bare metal on the axles, same with rear springs, and concentrate on just making it all work as a 2wd for the moment...ill go ahead and finish up what im doing to the body for now to prevent any future rust or degradation...and start amassing parts...actually im going to get back on the big one....still got all the new stuff to install in the front end and wiring i can be doing at the moment....so bear with me folks...its hard having "AD-HD" im on a highway to he-- oh look a jeep".......and just because...IT LOOKS LIKE ITS GOING TO RAIN....uuuggghhh...
Going to check one out tomorrow afternoon, and got together with my postman who's a cool guy and is going to try to locate one via the post office circuit.

These DJs are cool, and I am thrilled you did all your dirty work and posted it so I can see what lies ahead.

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #303
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublins View Post
Going to check one out tomorrow afternoon, and got together with my postman who's a cool guy and is going to try to locate one via the post office circuit.

These DJs are cool, and I am thrilled you did all your dirty work and posted it so I can see what lies ahead.
That's awesome..and I'm glad to be of service...lol...you aren't from Canada are you btw....you really remind me of a good friend whom I lovingly call kanuk...haven't seen him in a year or two..lol...I was lucky enuff to live on an island up in penobscot bay Maine for a couple years in the early 80's...it's pretty country up where you are...

Unread 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #304
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
That's awesome..and I'm glad to be of service...lol...you aren't from Canada are you btw....you really remind me of a good friend whom I lovingly call kanuk...haven't seen him in a year or two..lol...I was lucky enuff to live on an island up in penobscot bay Maine for a couple years in the early 80's...it's pretty country up where you are...
I'll grab pictures of the DJ and PM them to you if I'm interested in purchasing it- and no, not from Canada- I grew up in New York, around where West Point is, then moved to MD for college in 97 and stayed put down there. I have a coworker from MS, I'll have to ask him if he's familiar with your neck of the woods.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #305
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
I'll grab pictures of the DJ and PM them to you if I'm interested in purchasing it- and no, not from Canada- I grew up in New York, around where West Point is, then moved to MD for college in 97 and stayed put down there. I have a coworker from MS, I'll have to ask him if he's familiar with your neck of the woods.
Haha that's cool....only reason I asked is due to your thread and you pic there...you just really remind me of him...kinda a no BS kinda guy...very polite particularly towards women...one of my wife's favorites of my buds...lol...yes send them pics would love to see em...

Unread 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #306
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so final desings plans for the daily dj popped into my head...as i said recently in order to make it officially 4wd i would have to stretch the wheel base....so as i stared at this forever today trying to figure out how to get enuff stretch from just the rear with out it looking stupid...as i plan on possibly finding employment of some sorts that my arms might allow me to do....so back on point...if i add 18" stretch to the frame between springs i increase wheelbase to 98"...not extreme in the manor of wheelbase at all the wheelbase on the 71 is 110" after front and rear stretch...by adding the 18" to frame and cropping cab behind door and behind quarter window i can essentially create a pick-up cab and or a half cab type cj-8 wrangler with a bed of 48"....my other thought was to ad 24" overall and a second row of seats and stretching the entire body so more of the family can fit....i really like the pick-up idea but the idea of having a second vehicle in case of emergency is appealing as well....come on give me some thoughts which way should i go....pick-up or station wagon......lol

Unread 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #307
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I vote wagon troopy type thing
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #308
jmichaelsjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Keep up the great work! I started watching your build on the app on my phone and now I'm hooked on your build (s)
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #309
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
Haha that's cool....only reason I asked is due to your thread and you pic there...you just really remind me of him...kinda a no BS kinda guy...very polite particularly towards women...one of my wife's favorites of my buds...lol...yes send them pics would love to see em...
Well, no dice on the DJ- drove two hours to check it out, under the carpeting the floorpans had had "covers" riveted in place to cover some rot, which only created a moisture sandwich and only accellerated the rotting process- the frame and drivetrain were in good shape, but the whole underside of the body was totally rusted out, some collapsed body mounts, the whole rear around the gas tank and inside the corners was rotted to the point that it was non-existant.... i didn't even make an offer on it, I just gathered my tools and drove home :/

Unread 08-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #310
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelsjeep View Post
Keep up the great work! I started watching your build on the app on my phone and now I'm hooked on your build (s)
cool beans bro........glad to have you in the audience

Unread 08-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #311
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Well, no dice on the DJ- drove two hours to check it out, under the carpeting the floorpans had had "covers" riveted in place to cover some rot, which only created a moisture sandwich and only accellerated the rotting process- the frame and drivetrain were in good shape, but the whole underside of the body was totally rusted out, some collapsed body mounts, the whole rear around the gas tank and inside the corners was rotted to the point that it was non-existant.... i didn't even make an offer on it, I just gathered my tools and drove home :/
dude sory to hear..but thats how mine was...but only in the floors a little here and there but nothing major....only reason i was able to determine mine was done like that be the postal service shop was i found part#s on the pans that were rivited over the rust....anywho...dont give up the hunt..youll find one...lol....and give your finacee my appologies...loll

Unread 08-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #312
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so a quick update....have been in scub-a-dub-dub mode....not sure how many more time i have to scrub before i get it clean enuff for paint...i may wait till i have the tires (one week from saturday) the drag the chassis to the car wash.....cleaning the frame was easy but the motor was so, so nasty.....so nasty in fact that i decided to strip it to the block to make it easier to clean plus that allowed for a fresh coat of black on the brackets and pulleys etc...also there was copious amounts of silicone oozing out of all the gaskets anyways....gonna give the motor and trans a fresh coat of mopar engine turquois blue...as it originally was...os so on to the pics sorry they arent anything exciting....

ended up with 1.5" blocks in the rear to level it out...

fresh coat of paint on grill....

and a shot of the underside during the day for a better idea of what the body color will be(wheel well color).....

once all the brackets and what not dry will take more pics as usual the threat of rain halted my progress but it was like 7:30 pm anyway so oh well....
so thats it...lol

Unread 08-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #313
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

my vote is on a pick up

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #314
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86 View Post
my vote is on a pick up
the pick up idea would be much easier to accomplish while the "old" "new school" 4 door hard top wrangler would be cool too but i have to figure out two doors already 2 more is like an even bigger headache....but imagine it with the hard top going all the way to cover the back row of seats then be removable with a sunroof over the front seats...but do i really want to go thru all that work, that is the question....

ok on the progress side of things..i got the pulleys and brackets painted as well as all linkage,water pump, t-stat housing, rear lights blah blah blah...still scrubbing and cleaning and sanding and painting...tomorrow ill be relocating the rear shock mounts and finish preping/painting the frame and hopefully before the weekends out have the motor and trans painted as well....as far as the body goes i have 2 spots left to patch in the floor area, approx 4" each and then add the notch in subframe at firewall to clear bellhousing and body goes back on...woohoo...well thats all i got...

Unread 08-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #315
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so like i was just kicking it on here reading a bunch of builds...and it really is amazing what some of you guys spend on jeep stuff...i am obviously in the wrong business...lol...im not goint to waste all the time typing how much everything i have purchased cost but i have come up with 2 figures...first up on the board is the 71-dj5-b currently running a rebuilt ford 400m(less than 8 miles) rebuilt c-6 trans(less than 8 miles) 51"radius arm w/trac bar front suspension(adj 2.5" jj's at frame, procomp bushings at axle)..hp d 44 front w/4:56:1.(currently open) np205 tcase, front and rear (double joint w/centering ball) cv style ds, 1/8" steel diamond plate full body armor,summit aluminum 3 core radiator, mallory gm style hei dist, gm 1 wire 110 amp alt, d60 rear (empty awaiting gearsand spool) 51" long 5-joint set up w/trackbar (all 2.5"jj's), custom sliders/bumpers, p.o.s. uniden cb, some kind of stereo(new cant remember either jensen or kenwood still in box...lol..smittybuiltxrc10 front, warn m8000 rear...i figure by time im through witht he cage and rear axle ill shell out about another 1200$ which should bring the total to right at just under $4000.00...next up the 77-dj5-d currently in pieces everywhere in my kitchen in living room in the weight room in both sheds and definitly all over the yard...once its done....new paint(every thing painted),gastank,radiator,steering box, front springs,heater core,seats(plastic summit seats) rebuilt rear springs, gm 110 amp 1wire(43$all day online...lol), used rims and tires, used cherokee axles, and new window rubber, and the mics new stuff like hoses belts and pads/shoes...before the future mods(cost yet to be determined) should be at right bout $1750 give or take a hunnerd...i read on a thread earlier tonight just dudes axles d-30 and f8.8 plus shipping $4600...YOUCH...time to build me a hot-tank buy a 55gal drum of gloss black hed to memphis load up on $100 used axle housings clean em paint em load em sell em ship em and get rich...lol..where i get my stuff from in TN its a hunderd for a complete rear and $300 for a complete front...if i tell dude i dont want a warrantee on items he'll nock off 25% if i unlaod em and only take housings and axles he knocks off 75$ each but i lose the 25%off on rear housings he wont give em to me free...but i dont get up that way as often as i like so its hit or miss as to what he has on his lot...seems to me some of us jeepers ought to get together and make some money

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.