"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 08-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #286
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublins View Post
That and you weld outside, and the gas gets blown off the weld with mug if there's a breeze- fluxcore let's you weld in breezy conditions.

So- surprised you can weld sheet metal w the fluxcore, what diameter wire are you using? Fluxcore blows through easier than mig
Believe it or not I'm using .035... My infinitely adjustable Miller really helps a lot....but I still have some pinholes to fill...my problem is more on the not having patience side and warping metal trying to weld it too fast....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #287
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
Believe it or not I'm using .035... My infinitely adjustable Miller really helps a lot....but I still have some pinholes to fill...my problem is more on the not having patience side and warping metal trying to weld it too fast....
I have a miller 211 dual voltage that i just friggin LOVE- I can mig very thin stuff with it if I'm patient- I do have flux core wire, but haven't run it through the miller yet- I weld in my garage mostly and use gas, and I do a lot of stainless- I've never found flux core for stainless.

0.35 is big wire to be flux-core welding sheet with... I'm very impressed.

Now get busy with your wire brush and get all that ugly slag offa there!

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #288
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublins View Post
I have a miller 211 dual voltage that i just friggin LOVE- I can mig very thin stuff with it if I'm patient- I do have flux core wire, but haven't run it through the miller yet- I weld in my garage mostly and use gas, and I do a lot of stainless- I've never found flux core for stainless.

0.35 is big wire to be flux-core welding sheet with... I'm very impressed.

Now get busy with your wire brush and get all that ugly slag offa there!
They make it it I had to get a 1lb spool once to weld up a ventahood in a restaurant once..if I remember it was really pricey..lol....my Miller isn't dual voltage but my tig and plasma both are....but to sound hippocratical I have never even used my tig....when I first bought it I didn't have a bottle but now I do..I was able to pick up one of the lease only sized bottles from pre-lease only era....I bought it from a fab shop going out of business...I have had the #'s run on it and it's a legal bottle...some day when my I build my shop my cart will support all my fab eqip off the one bottle using a split line dual regulator setup...but not gonna even try to drag that bottle across 100yrds of rough ground to where my 220 is...lol

Unread 08-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #289
drewabril
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You do great work- I read all 20 pages today...I really like your ability to use only grinder and a welder almost everything

I love the concept of the DJ rat rod..
Keep it up!
drewabril is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #290
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

looking awesome

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #291
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabril View Post
You do great work- I read all 20 pages today...I really like your ability to use only grinder and a welder almost everything

I love the concept of the DJ rat rod..
Keep it up!
thanks..and thanks for reading the whole 20 pages...lol....the ratrod is on hold untill i get 2 more djs...my 16 yr old daughter just has to have one and during the cherokee axle install on my newest one i some how gained 5" of lift...lol...well 4-7/8" that is....stay tuned tho will have another big pic post tomorrow

Unread 08-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #292
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86 View Post
looking awesome
yep yep...pretty much got the floors finished up today just a few small pieces tht need to be shaped a little...gonna grind a concave recess into a 2x6 and o block of 4x4 to use as poor mans shaper...lol the have a real nice leather one on west coast choppers...lol if you grind a long groove you can use your ballpeen hammer to make the little dimple tunnels in floor and bed pand to add strength and take out the tin can effect....

Unread 08-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #293
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok pic time haha...

look at that gap in the factory fitment...come on jeep wassup with that..pulled a wad of body/seam sealer that was as big as a whole pack of chewed bubble gum

after some wire brush/cup work...

and some washin...

in reality i need to cut this out and weld in a new piece..maybe later...lol

after some paintin....

well thats it for today...haha just to ease curiosity's the white and grey ares will be undercoated black so its just a sealer coat really but even so it will be all grey before then as this is only first coat...rain coming in tomorow...didnt want any o my hard work getting trashed...the light tan(Almond) color in the wheel wells is the color body is going to be...hope you enloyed...

Unread 08-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #294
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well suns out and i should be outside working on the jeep but i have a delima...chronicles of riddik is on.....what to do , what to do....

Unread 08-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #295
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

pvr it, get out there and work on that jeep

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #296
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Beautiful! I hope your painting the Jeep that tan color!?!
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #297
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Beautiful! I hope your painting the Jeep that tan color!?!
yes i am going to paint it the light tan color...still trying to decide on whether to paint the roof the same color or go with white...being as it has no air the lighter the roof the cooler it will be on the inside....i always loved the older landcrusiers(jeep style) that had the light tan with white roofs paint scheme n plus it kinda oldskool....just got to figure out what color to go with on the rims....frame,bumpers, springs, tank n skid, and crossmembers, all gonna be black, axles are gonna be dark drown with tan covers, tie bar and z bar red with a few other minor pieces red as well but all tastefully done of course...body tan with possibly a brown accent stripe somewhere...for the time being it will all be rustoleum pro...since i know in going to change it into more of a real jeep with the next 12-15 months...ill shoot it with real paint once i finalize all the body work but plan on driving it almost immediatly...and dont want it to be ugly...

Unread 08-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #298
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well i got jack and s**t done today...unless you call a little scraping and removing the piece of scrap metal i thought was my gas tank work...i did do a little washing n the frame as well but my tendonitis and carpal tunnel were a little flared up after all the grinder work i did yesterday....but weather man say learish skys for a while so no biggie i guess

Unread 08-18-2013, 03:39 AM   #299
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so i guess ill say this....i have made quams about being a "tj" hater ....i guess this is prolly just because the initial purchase price of one that was in good enuff shape to start out with is more than i have in all my rides....but i must say that after reading nine million "tj" build threads on here....maybe i hate on them a little less...it would be nice if i had someone to ask " hey what did you do to fix that isue" or "where can i buy some of those"....but hey it is what it is...lol...maybe if i wasnt such a cheapskate...lol...i have always had the sense of "purchase-smurchase"...cough cough.."I can build that" or "I'm not paying that much...ppsshhhh"....so i guess i should not fault a vehicle due to my inhibitions...so for all you "tj" owners i give my word that tho i may not stop hating completly..lol ...ill keep my finger to my self when i see one out in the world...lol....i hope eveyone who reads this understands that for the most part i am mearly poking fun...now dont get me started on xj's tho.......i twisted, killed, mangled, defaced,bastardized, and flat out destroyed over 15 of those poor creatures in about 5 years...but when i got my first cherokee the only thing you could get for them at the time was maybe a 4"lift...i had a fully caged one that i riped in half under the rear seat but that was probably only due to the fact that when fully flexed i could almost lay opposite tires on thier sidewall..definitly could the rear i used to win bets with it ll the time....my stupidest move was deciding not to fix it and i stripped it instead...but it was an 87 and i had at the time a fresh 99 carcass to start with, and i did start the project and theres where it becomes a long long story...ok so ive babbled enuff...nite

Unread 08-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #300
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so maybe not thru babbling..but figured id throw in a few pics of some of my poor cherokees...lol

and thers my ugly butt

spent 6-1/2 hrs in this hole....and im not even stuck yet i just stopped so the wife could get out..lol....before it was all over there were catfish swimming in her seat....i see if i can find the pics but that was a few puters ago..lol

ok well there are a few more victims that i dont have pics of on this puter but you can kinda get the idea...at least of the carnage i can inflict on a poor unsuspecting vehicle..muah hahahaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.