"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Ok so like internet is down in our area so no pucs this moment but....loads of progress have been made...subframe in finsl stages....four out of eight body mount tabs in...floors gone bye-bye....ummmyea thats about it..hoping to set body on frame sometime after 5:30pm....maybe...lol

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #17
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so here is what really happened over the last 2 days...there was a lot of hacking...a bunch of measuring some clamping more measuring...here a tack there a tack everywhere a tack tack...measured some more...ooops those clamps slipped...cut it free rmeasure and clamp again..blah blah blah...ok so on to the pics...

top half of subframe

"A" pillar tubes

floor cut out and pan supports in

subframe riser to rear floor level

rear floor tubes

first four of eight body mount tabs(1/4" thick plate w/ 5/8" holes

sorry for the small pics not sure what happened

Unread 09-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #18
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So is anyone as impressed with this as I am? I like my shop, but sometimes feel that it is in inadequate. Now I feel like a whiny little b@#$% after seeing what you have accomplished in your backyard! I'm curious about the fixed length long arms. They are fixed length right? How will you change the tilt of the axle for castor adjustment? Or are you not worried about it since this appears to be an off road only rig? I have always wanted to stretch the wheelbase and body of a DJ into a DJ-6. Great work so far.
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnhunter View Post
So is anyone as impressed with this as I am? I like my shop, but sometimes feel that it is in inadequate. Now I feel like a whiny little b@#$% after seeing what you have accomplished in your backyard! I'm curious about the fixed length long arms. They are fixed length right? How will you change the tilt of the axle for castor adjustment? Or are you not worried about it since this appears to be an off road only rig? I have always wanted to stretch the wheelbase and body of a DJ into a DJ-6. Great work so far.
Thanks man...i appreciate the moral support...lol...i wish more people would comment but im not sure how many people know what a dj is..lol...and not having a dry level place to work really does make it challenging...sometimes i wonder why i even started but it has only been since june of this year...so i guess im making ok headway

Unread 09-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #20
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnhunter View Post
ok to answer your question about the arms...they are not fixed i have an adjustable joint at frame for fronts...and by caster do you mean steering into the ground or overall angle of the axle causing the rig to "crab" or drive seemingly sideways?...having modified/played with several of these hpd44's ive learned about how far you can turn pinion up without affecting drivability...now as for the rears...one is fixed...the other is adjustable sorta...its difficult to explain but to put it simply there is a design flaw...but they work so good i have never bothered to fix it...lol

Unread 09-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #21
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

plans for the up coming week....

1. decide on drivetrain...go all jeep or throw the 400ci ford in it...
2. get body back on and finish bodymounts
3. more sheet metal work....bottom of door openings..move front of fenderwell/boxes rearwards 2" to allow for seats to adjust(making it easier to get in)...patch stupid hole in rear floor...lol
4. finish coverting all rust and paint underside and roof...possibly inside roof as well seems like it would just be easier to paint there while body is end-up..
5. paint hood and grill...
6. last but not least drink as much beer as possible while doing all of the above...lol

Unread 09-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
cbpldc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You're talking a 400M, right? From a Bronco or F-150? I've never been a fan of the M, but I like the AMC stuff even less (I know, heresy). Go Ford if you've got it laying around. You've clearly got the skills to make this happen.

Chris
cbpldc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #23
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpldc View Post
You're talking a 400M, right? From a Bronco or F-150? I've never been a fan of the M, but I like the AMC stuff even less (I know, heresy). Go Ford if you've got it laying around. You've clearly got the skills to make this happen.

Chris
Yea the good ol 400m....the "M's"...were givin/have a bad rep due to the fact that there main design from the factory was to meet emmision standards..all the way down to the cam design and all...so even after a few hundred dollars on carb and intake you still had to be a skilled mechanic to get anything extra out of them...oh yeah and the fact that for some reason if you have anything iffy with your exhaust they will burn all the exhaust valves...but if you look at the fact that it cost me 250$ for a rebuild on the 400m and 23$ and a couple free junkyard hardparts to rebuild the c-6(and i did this in less time than a 12oz beer took to drink) you cant really go wrong...and i can say that it took two years of being in 4-6ft water almost daily to kill the trans..well that and 44" tractor tires with no gears...lol

Unread 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

pics to come...lol

Unread 09-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok pic time...woohooo.....

roof before

roof after lots of work....black areas are the rust reformer the brown area is where i primed over reformer with rustoleum's rusty metal primer..

a pic of the lower door bracing and part of inner roof cleaned and reformed...

an after pic showing most of inner roof with first finish coat...somehow didnt get pics of the in between..sorry..

under side of rear with first coat of glossy...this will all be under/truckbed coated ventually

well once again thats all for now but more to come real soon...lol

Unread 09-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #26
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to more progress.
MattGATRTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #27
printingray

Good job! Waiting for further updates.
printingray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
cbpldc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dude. Awesome update. That should be plenty strong. You've got me looking for DJ's now...

Chris
cbpldc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #29
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Thanks everbody...it kinda lets me know my hard work is starting to pay off...lol

Well got the body flipped back onto frame today..came out..."Awesome"..decided to move whole body forward 4-3/4" instead of doing my crazy dragster cowl stretch...lol...anyways just so no one gets the idea that im building a show rig here...this is a rattle can beauty...now granted its mostly expensive rustoleum rattle can but rattle can none-the-less...after eliminating rust either by grinding, brushing, sanding or just outright new metal i give it a healthy coat of the rust reformer...then top coat that with the rusty metal primer...then color of choice...seems simple enough right....overall goal when done is a great looking "15 footer" that will be inexpensive to touch up as i slowly undo all the work i did to make it pretty...lol

Unread 09-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #30
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Oh yeah did i mention...ummmm its definitly not "lcog"....i tried to build it low but oh well...i can fix that later on with some air/nitro shocks or coilovers but getting it all together is the main thing...lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.