"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 08-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #241
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great work man! Why not go 33's though? There is a lot of room there.

ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #242
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Great work man! Why not go 33's though? There is a lot of room there.
True that...but a nice set of 31x10.50 would look good, ride fairly decent and not break the non-existing bankroll....besides it will be 2wd still for prolly at least a year....and I mainly building this one to be my new grocery getter since my one-ton needs some serious rack time.....not to mention my wallet needs a break from the 390/4 barrel/4spd.....plus its kinda like those dish network commercials....if I go with 33" s then I'll end up with a jeep with a dog collar....in otherwords if I give my self the idea I can make it, I'll try....then I'll be broke stuck or upside down in the rig I need to have not broke stuck or upside down and then all damnation will occur...so for now little tires...Lmfao.....but thanks....I'll have more pics soon...lol

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #243
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post

True that...but a nice set of 31x10.50 would look good, ride fairly decent and not break the non-existing bankroll....besides it will be 2wd still for prolly at least a year....and I mainly building this one to be my new grocery getter since my one-ton needs some serious rack time.....not to mention my wallet needs a break from the 390/4 barrel/4spd.....plus its kinda like those dish network commercials....if I go with 33" s then I'll end up with a jeep with a dog collar....in otherwords if I give my self the idea I can make it, I'll try....then I'll be broke stuck or upside down in the rig I need to have not broke stuck or upside down and then all damnation will occur...so for now little tires...Lmfao.....but thanks....I'll have more pics soon...lol
Hahaha, all very good points!
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #244
CommandoSolo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tube Work

Eagle Scout Jeeper #135
CommandoSolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #245
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSolo View Post
Tube Work
Yea...lol....not sure if I'll be drooling tho....slobbering maybe, along with sweating and grunting...when I bought my bender,dies, and notcher I bought the specialized software for designing cages(basicly a 3d C.A.D. program) instead of the hydraulic set up....at the time I figured I'd need the help with designing more than the labor...however 2 moves later and stuff in storage in 2 states I'm not sure where the software is...but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have misplaced the hydraulics...lol

Unread 08-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #246
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Well made a gruesome discovery today.....it would appear that some hack of a government employee halfway scabbed factory replacement floor pans in with pop-rivits...allowing dirt and water to get in between the two pieces and basicly well rust out everything from the topside...thanks a-hole government postal vehicle service person.....so lookin like I'll be fashioning a not so radical subframe out of 1x2 10guage tube...on the bright side I have one usable 16guage floor pan, and a usable template for the other...being as the original brake pedal went straight thru the floor and well it drove around with driver's door open all the time the second pan on driver's side was also rusted...(this was what I thought was my only floor rust)....I'll have pics of this later today or tomorrow...well at least of the damage...be a quick minute till I get it fixed...

Unread 08-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #247
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

well as promised its pic time again.....now i must warn you some of these pics are of a heinous and graphic nature and may cause distress even hysteria in those persons weak of heart and fab skills...lol

ok enuff babbling already on to the pics....

inside of cowl/firewall after removing dash and all wiring...you can see the surface rust and some spots at the cowl corners where there is daylight showing thru....

a better pic of pedals and modified linkage...

outside of firewall/cowl...

some yummy pics of heater box assembly and core...

and now for the cancer pics...and other sheet metal carnage...

nice new pad for bender...

well once again we have reached the end of our post....will have pics of the drivers side cancer soon...it was totally depressing to see what i found on passenger side so i just couldnt bring myself to dig any further at the time....stay tuned blah blah blah....

Unread 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #248
Firedancer
1965 CJ5 

Great Thread man, I just spent the last hour reading it from the beginning. Cant wait until you actually get to drive one of them.
Firedancer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #249
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer View Post
Great Thread man, I just spent the last hour reading it from the beginning. Cant wait until you actually get to drive one of them.
Thanks a bunch...I was thinking I was four upper shock mounts, some rims n tires, and brake lines away....but the jeep gods threw me another curve ball....oh well........I will soon...

However on a completely different note...just got off the phone with the adapter gods(advance) and thé cella i talked to insured me that with some very minor shimming if any is needed I should be able to bolt a np231j right up to the a727 trans after I swap the tail shaft and adapter....I am super stoked about this...I already have a fresh 231 and am hoping to pick up the trans parts for next to nuthin....yeehaa....thanks adapter gods....

Unread 08-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #250
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so on to todays progress...

interior after full strip...well the ebrake handle will come out after i flip the body up on its back....

theres paint under that grime....

exterior shots...

after hanging the rear tire n rim i can plainly see ill need to work a little more on the bastard packs for the rear and or just add about a 1.5" block...just really dont want blocks and it will be easy as pie to re-disassemble after body is off...well looks like it quit raining again...ive been working like a madman between the thunder storms...lol...self washing build...haha

Unread 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #251
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Well I noticed something nifty about front windshield gasket...it is a two price basicly the main gasket then a small piece that pops into a channel to lock it in...and it was nice and supple...so popped out front glass and noticed that someone took a torch and cut a decent sized hole in the left a-pillar in order to install some jank antenna....I'm beginning to understand why they say never buy a used jeep...there is no such thing as stock once it leaves the showroom floor....lol

Unread 08-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #252
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

So started on cancer removal today...decided to start at the top and work my way down....should have pics here soon....if it ever stops raining...but other than that and thé 2 million spot welds(only place is seems the cancer didn't effect) every things going fine...lol

Unread 08-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #253
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Well after spending an hour and putting 4 different sets of batteries in my camera..I found I had some how changed the mode to one where the flash would not work...doh....anyways spent the morning looking at tires trying to decide how to spend my income tax(now if that ain't counting your chickens before they hatch)..I'm set on a set of 31x10.50s now just got to decide between the Hercules trail digger m/t or the swamper ltb...difference in price is about $50 a tire...if I go with the Hercules I will be able to get a matching spare...decisions decisions....uuugh what's a jeeper to do....

Unread 08-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #254
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

So like got all excited sun was out...jumped in old ford zipped on down to steel supply bought 30' of 1x2 14ga. tubing for new substructure....get home and baboom thunder and lightning from out of nowhere...uuugh...stupid rain....on a fun note tho my rims got here from new Hampshire...they are stock wrangler rims(don't ask)...

Unread 08-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #255
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok update time...so todays update deals with the cancer at base of my windshield frame..i did not butt weld this for two reasons...1st off being as area was pitted pretty heavily and i needed to insure strength...second sometime in the near future i will procure a cj windshield frame and hinges and make the hard top removable(you know like a jeep)..plus nice flat area i figured if 1/8" of filler is considered acceptable for high dollar collectible cars why not my daily driver..ok so on to pics.....

we will start with a few shots of rims...lol

ok so on to windshield frame cancer....as i was battling the t-storms i did this in two stages...i started with the right side(drivers side)basicly drew a cut line where i had good metal...chopped, pieced,and welded...i let the pics tell the story....

some small l braces for extra strength...

passenger side...

well i did manage to just barely get a protective coat of paint on the passenger side before the rain started again....next ill get the hole in the a=pillar patched up the ill flip body up on its rear and start on floors...hope you enjoyed this...im in sheet metal h--l...uuugh...stay tuned more to come...lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.