"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 07-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #226
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettajeep
Well at least from me I like what you're doing so i wont say anything, I'll just watch and admire. Now if you were doing something very ridicules I would jump in and say "hold on a sec"
I've been subbed and loving this thread- keep posting! There's prob dozens more like me, too.

Showed your djs off to the wifey, to prepare her for in case I show up with one one day

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #227
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublins View Post
I've been subbed and loving this thread- keep posting! There's prob dozens more like me, too.

Showed your djs off to the wifey, to prepare her for in case I show up with one one day
thanks a bunch....its been a lot of hard work..not to mention the headaches i go thru to get pics and info posted...the only puter the kids havent killed is wifes laptop...and its got that new windows8 crap on it only its not a touch screen and the mouse is very strange and always does all this stuff i dont tell it to so i almost smash this thing everytime im on it...lol...it is nice to know that people are actually looking and appreciating what i am doing....it may sound lame but one of my enjoyments nowadays is piddlin with my jeeps and sharing it here...so thanks once again for subbing to my thread ill be sure to keep the pics/posts coming...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #228
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so started on the facelift today before my angle grinder decided to die....so ill post what pics i managed to get..

so after sanding grill down i found a couple of cracks...

well some how i got 6 pics of the same crack...but there was one more it was about the same size...

after welding...

inside of grill after cleaning and a coat of rust reformer...

front of grill after coat of rust reformer.....

freshly painted bumper braces..

steering box remounted and a glimpse of mounting bracket painted red....also same cast piece on other side....

just a pic of it all back together for now....

and a pic of the old bronco...R.I.P...just for giggles

well hopefully ill have some minor things i can do to both the djs untill i get a new grinder...at least enuff to keep you guys interested...lol

Last edited by freaknajeep; 07-31-2013 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: posted wrong pic
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #229
berettajeep
1947 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
Thanks man...so why did ya sell the truck build....and I won't be doin much for a while my grinder took a dump and with multiple kids to outfit for school...can't afford a new one just yet...
Needed cash and work really slow and with a divorce in my future....well need to get rid of all the not needed items. so yeah. and the truck was not going to be finished for a while
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #230
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettajeep View Post
Needed cash and work really slow and with a divorce in my future....well need to get rid of all the not needed items. so yeah. and the truck was not going to be finished for a while
I can totally relate....sorry you had to let it go...I've said goodbye to several projects this year...

Unread 07-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #231
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Never build I like them
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #232
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Well got some magic mystery money..so a new grinder and a trip to Memphis for tires and rims is in order before it evaporates like spit on a hot grill...looks lokie I'll be back in action before the day's out....well stay tuned loyal readers...more pics to come.....

Unread 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #233
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

We will be waiting...
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #234
CommandoSolo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the write up on making a bastard pack I always was curious how those worked. I love DJ build that fascinate me, although I wish you had kept the original sliding door on the big one.

Great build

Eagle Scout Jeeper #135
CommandoSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #235
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSolo View Post
I appreciate the write up on making a bastard pack I always was curious how those worked. I love DJ build that fascinate me, although I wish you had kept the original sliding door on the big one.

Great build
Thanks again .....however the sliding doors greatly inhibit the size of tire you can run...on the big jeep the tires would destroy the doors on first ride...on the little jeep I won't even be able to put tires on with sliding doors so neither will have original doors....

Unread 08-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #236
CommandoSolo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post

Thanks again .....however the sliding doors greatly inhibit the size of tire you can run...on the big jeep the tires would destroy the doors on first ride...on the little jeep I won't even be able to put tires on with sliding doors so neither will have original doors....
I didn't think about tire interference, that makes a lot of sense. Plus I admire your craftsmanship to make doors work.

Eagle Scout Jeeper #135
CommandoSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #237
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSolo View Post
I didn't think about tire interference, that makes a lot of sense. Plus I admire your craftsmanship to make doors work.
Well for right now they just look pretty still got to make ny latches...but would anybody mind if I changed the name from jeep to "tow-yotas"...as in thats what I do I "tow-yotas"....lmfao

Unread 08-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #238
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

So got a bunch of things accomplished today....got the tie(wheel to wheel) bar made...still got to set initial alignment...got battery tray removed and firewall strengthend and m/c booster in as well as brake pedal and modifyed the accelerator linkage...so like I'm tired ...will post pics tomorrow...lol

Unread 08-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #239
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so on to the next pic filled update....basicly pics from stuff i talked about in last post....

so here we go...firewall after i removed battery tray...

battery tray...lol

after initial grinding/sanding...

the black line represents approx where the first wo holes will be drilled...the darkish circle is come wierd indentation/outgrowth im guessing they used to take the tincan sound out of firewall(i.e. tighten up the sheetmetal)....

i didnt like how the firewall flexed when i put pressure on it so after cutting out the wierd section i plated a large area of it with 1/8" diamond plate..just some scrap i had laying around so its not super pretty but net end result was great...
weirdness removed...

diamond plating...

after some hole sawing and drilling...

test fit...like a glove baby...like a glove...

inside after removing existing accelerator linkage mounts...(that was a mistake)

pedal assembly...was going to use the gas pedal as well but realized how much extra work/crap to find etc that was going to cause...reason for this is brake pedal was going to hit original accelerator linkage...

after removing gas pedal...

modifying original linkage...

test function/fit after welding mounts back in...lol....

clears brake pedal and works nicely...

clearance and ease of servicability in relation to factory fender with no trimming...

linkage after a coat of paint and i changed out the pedal pad area as well for the matching pedal and pad to brake pedal

rim and a 225/70/r15 on with full weight on springs...i think a set of 30-31" tires will be perfect....

well thats it for pics today...ordered a set of 15" factory 99 wrangler rims off of ebay today...will paint em up good when they get here on the hunt for tires now.....also did a little research on converting the A727 transmission to 4wd...seems all i got to do is change out the tailshaft and adaptor...then get a dana 300 and a clocking ring....well im out cheers

Unread 08-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #240
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Well didn't get much done today except pouring a small slab/pad to mount the bender on....30"x30"x5"...with rebar sank 18" into the ground at all four corners...once it cures I'll get on the front prerunner/ stinger bar...and shock mounts...and get to work on cage for big jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.